Curb build outs

GeoffInBrisbane

Re: Curb build outs

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Good point about the BUG, I will check that out.

As far as that crossing goes, I regard myself as a confident cyclist, I have no worries riding in all sorts of traffic, taking the lane etc, it generally doesn't bother me at all, but the first time I rode that section I was bricking it, because it is completely unclear where one should be on the approach.

Just to be clear in case people were misunderstanding me, I'm not whinging about having to stop at the zebra crossing. Would have had to stop at the old crossing, and still have to stop at the new one. Fine, that's what it's there for (I hate it when I see cyclists running through crossings). It's the approach that is the issue, risking being left hooked or collected by people coming out of the side road, and then having to merge right just coming up to the crossing (and sometimes cars are trying to merge at the same point - they shouldn't be, but sometimes they do!).

I find it very odd that it was designed in the way it was. On other roads in the area, bike lanes have been added in a sensible way when roads have been reworked. Not here!
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

AndyTheMan

Re: Curb build outs

Postby AndyTheMan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:20 am

the first time I rode that section I was bricking it, because it is completely unclear where one should be on the approach.
I think this is the point I was trying to make....

Cyclists (and motorists) are always told to be predictable and make your intentions clear - it keeps everything safer for everyone - but some of these 'traffic calming devices' actually create a scenario where nobody is sure what their best course action is - making them completely unsafe....