Achilles pain from cycling?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
george-bob

Achilles pain from cycling?

Postby george-bob » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:56 am

So, several months ago I had some issues with my achilles (left side), treated with RICE, got proper orthotics for running and have had no further issues. At the time I adjusted my cleat position to prevent heel drop and have not adjusted any part of the bike fit since.

On monday after my long ride (50km) I had mild achilles pain, it has since gotten worse. As I said I haven't adjusted my bike or shoes whatsoever. Any thoughts? Why now?

Also, any tips on how to speed up achilles healing? There is no swelling, just a bit of pain, currently following RICE and avoiding running.

nescius

Re: Achilles pain from cycling?

Postby nescius » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:15 am

See a physio, get a strength program and follow it, otherwise the problem will most likely recur. I had an achilles problem after doing the Great Vic Bike Ride back in 2009, I was off the bike for 6 weeks, and not back to full strength for nearly 12 months. They just take a long time to heal, it sounds like you are doing the right thing for recovery, but you need to take some further preventative measures (i.e. strengthening).
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for the advice, I was worried that would be the case...Best make an appointment ASAP...

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 am

A while ago I went on a tour in SW WA where I developed really bad achilles pain. I was experimenting by using the one pair of shoes (not cycling shoes) and Power Grips. The flexibility of the soles contributed to the development of the tendinitis, but I think I'd also set my saddle a touch high.

Saddle height is what I'd be looking at. A drop of 10mm or so might be enough to avoid the inflammation.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:49 am

I hadn't thought of that, though it has been the same height for months, any thoughts on what would trigger it hurting?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:29 am

After a few years of competetive riding without achilles problems, I injured my left achillies back in January on a training camp involving shiteloads of climbing. I ended up invested in the additional kit for my speedplays to move the cleats about 1cm further back. Also, dorsiflextion (heel drop) has less activation of the calf muscle, so I'm not sure why this is supposed to be 'bad' for the achilles.

For recovery for the injury - google "achilles eccentric strengthening".
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 am

I have figured out the issue! A phone conversation with my physio and a lot of googling later I seem to have got to the bottom of it. My soleus (lower calf muscle) was extremely tight, this transferred a lot of extra load onto my achilles during normal cycling, causing mild inflammation. So i got out the rolling pin and went to town last night and this morning. It is feeling MUCH better already, in conjunction with ice, compression and rest I am optomistic I will be able to race on sunday *crosses fingers*.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 pm

i RICEd it up like an 18 yr old with a 4 cyl. japanese car, but moving my cleats back worked wonders.