Longest WA road climb?

sambo3

Longest WA road climb?

Postby sambo3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:35 am

Hi all, I am about to ramp up my training for the Scody High Country Challenge in March.
During the ride I will need to be able to ascend Mt Buller (16.8km at 5.9%). I have done a few of the shorter Victorian climbs but never a Cat 1.

Question;
Whats the longest road climb in WA with a minimum grade ave of 4%?
I know of a few around the 6km mark but do we have a 10km or more climb hidden somewhere?

cheers
Sambo

Baalzamon

Re: Longest WA road climb?

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Nettleton Rd
Armadale Rd
Mills Rd East not 10km but nasty :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Yeah its nasty, I found Haddrill/Wier Rd worse, even though its shorter.
Hoping to find some sort of connecting sustained climb rather than short and nasty.
How long and what grade is Nettleton rd?
Is thier a long climb around the Stirling Ranges area or anywhere down south?

Cheers
Sambo

logancalder

Postby logancalder » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Just do 6 repeats of Mills Rd East.

That equals roughly 18km and will get you strong.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Nettleton road is nasty initially.
Kicks 3 times before settling down
Problem with the stuff over here is that we have rollers. Once we get up an initial climb it will then start to go up and down repeating many times. Get the right conditions and you will not get a rest at all so may infact be harder than over east.
Just factor in a headwind slowing you downhill so you have to still pedal all the time and no chance for a rest.

roller

Postby roller » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:47 pm

suggest seeking out the Walnut Rd > Patterson Rd (Pickering Brook) (starts from Aldersyde Road/Walnut intersection)

it's not the longest climb, but it's a decent challenge with a varied gradient, including quite a steep bit at the start which puts you into difficulty and will help you develop your ability to pace yourself and develop a good rhythm.
inflammatory statement or idea

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:52 pm

+1 for Mills Road East. Maybe try riding up with a backpack full of bricks.

Edit: or 50 reps of Mount St.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:13 pm

roller wrote:suggest seeking out the Walnut Rd > Patterson Rd (Pickering Brook) (starts from Aldersyde Road/Walnut intersection)

it's not the longest climb, but it's a decent challenge with a varied gradient, including quite a steep bit at the start which puts you into difficulty and will help you develop your ability to pace yourself and develop a good rhythm.
I will give this a run, my main concern is to not have the sag wagon chase me all the way up Buller.

I'm under no illusion of setting any speed records just want to push it as hard as I can without blowing up and out.
At the present I have been doing one descent climb a week and tying it in with an 80-120km ride with the climb basically halfway.

My other rides during the week are mostly along the coastal dunes (Hale rd, Ewan st etc). Will slowly amp it up over the next few months and add in more hill repeats.

Cheers
Sambo

roller

Postby roller » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Pravda wrote:Edit: or 50 reps of Mount St.
funny you should say that, i did a fair amount of cycling in the pyrenees and alps this year and did most of my training for it in King's Park on mount street and forrest drive (on weekdays, with trips out to mundaring on the weekend), we were doing 10-12 mount streets in a row and then some forrest drives.

it certainly did the trick, i rode some massive climbs in europe [tourmalet, galibier, alpe d'huez, port de bales, madeleine, glandon etc etc] on the back of that.

and there was nothing i came across as steep as mount street, which i'm sure is why you get such good value from it.

obviously it's a bit boring going up and down up and down up and down, but if you work in the city and commute to work, it's something you can quite easily do every day.

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:33 pm

roller wrote:
Pravda wrote:Edit: or 50 reps of Mount St.
funny you should say that, i did a fair amount of cycling in the pyrenees and alps this year and did most of my training for it in King's Park on mount street and forrest drive (on weekdays, with trips out to mundaring on the weekend), we were doing 10-12 mount streets in a row and then some forrest drives....
Hey Roller how many k's were you doing a week whilst preparing for you trip?
Did you feel the short repeats would be enough on thier own or did you also have good base km under your belt?

cheers
Sambo

roller

Postby roller » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:41 pm

sambo3 wrote:Hey Roller how many k's were you doing a week whilst preparing for you trip?
Did you feel the short repeats would be enough on thier own or did you also have good base km under your belt?

cheers
Sambo
i'd say i had a good base, was doing say 170+kms mon-fri (to/from work - including mount streets/forrest drives) plus longer rides on the weekend, say 70-150 on the weekends.

so on average 250-300+km a week.

how long is the ride you're doing?

roller

Postby roller » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:43 pm

found it! cool!

looks intimidating, but really, how hard can it be? :mrgreen:

http://www.cyclingprofiles.com.au/HTM/R ... 013-1b.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:51 pm

i'd say i had a good base, was doing say 170+kms mon-fri (to/from work - including mount streets/forrest drives) plus longer rides on the weekend, say 70-150 on the weekends.

so on average 250-300+km a week. [/quote]

I'm on 250km a week for the past three months but did limited riding over autumn early winter so am making it up now.
I am doing one bigger ride a week of around 100km give or take and may add a second through Jan/Feb.
During the week I fit in three rides around 40-60km mark.

cheers
Sambo

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:52 pm

roller wrote:found it! cool!

http://www.cyclingprofiles.com.au/HTM/R ... 013-1b.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks easier than the profile for this Make sure you show elevation profile and that is a WA ride :)

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Had a quick look on Strava, maybe try this one! There's a lot of dodgy segments it seems. http://app.strava.com/segments/611494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
roller wrote:found it! cool!

Looks easier than the profile for this Make sure you show elevation profile and that is a WA ride :)
I'm not so sure, different sort of rides. The scale of the 6 dams profile makes it look dramatic and I am sure its a difficult ride.
However if you study it closely there is nothiing over 350m. Overlay that of the Buller profile and suddenly our climbs look small, just like the smaller ones in the Buller profile.

I think it would come down to how well one could manage the Buller ascent and then finish of the rest of the smaller climbs compared with a greater number of smaller climbs in the 6 dams.
Sustained effort v shorter repeated effort.

It's bit of a moot point anyway for me as I would struggle with them both at present.

cheers
Sambo

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Pravda wrote:Had a quick look on Strava, maybe try this one! There's a lot of dodgy segments it seems. http://app.strava.com/segments/611494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow! 41% ,OK 20 repeats up the Elavator.
Cheers
Sambo

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:19 pm

sambo3 wrote:
Pravda wrote:Had a quick look on Strava, maybe try this one! There's a lot of dodgy segments it seems. http://app.strava.com/segments/611494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow! 41% ,OK 20 repeats up the Elavator.
Cheers
Sambo
I call bollocks on that one...
Look at the gradient lines and then look at the vertical scale
Yeah right 800m we are hard pressed to get 450m over here. The gradient lines are giving from 140m to 220m
Someone has set that up and stopped and pressure has increased giving a false elevation profile

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I call bollocks on that one...
Look at the gradient lines and then look at the vertical scale
Yeah right 800m we are hard pressed to get 450m over here. The gradient lines are giving from 140m to 220m
Someone has set that up and stopped and pressure has increased giving a false elevation profile
Considering the highest point is 750m above sea level I agree, good way to give yourself some crazy VAM numbers though.

I doubt its ability to help Sambo climb Mount Bulla.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:31 pm

you'll also need to be on a mountain bike to tackle the elevator! :wink:

danny

Postby danny » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:45 pm

This is one tough ride
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Th ... Gooseberry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
6 hours total time (not bike time) would be a good target on a nice warm summers day :D

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Just a nice ride that gets you going up and over and back of The Observatory then up Lawnbrook and finish it off with Hummerston Rd should do.

Check out flyingporkpies on bikely and I think it's called "The Redbull Challenge".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks Redbull, I will link most of that ride in the next time I climb Brookton hwy and head across Canning rd and combine it.
Should make for a good long ride.

cheers
Sambo

dougalh

Postby dougalh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 pm

Pravda wrote: Edit: or 50 reps of Mount St.
:twisted: Beat me to it.

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Welshpool Rd is a lot more difficult than Nettleton Rd imo... a lot less safer also