2013 State Elections - cycle instead????

CycleSnail

2013 State Elections - cycle instead????

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:40 pm

- Over 3 million bicycle trips were counted on the Principal Shared Paths in 2011
- 22.1% of the WA population ride a bicycle at least once during a typical week
- cycling numbers increase by over 10% each year
- cycling participation in WA increased by 35% compared to 2006
- 20’000 people cycle daily to work instead of using their cars

The BTA is asking political parties and candidates questions on cycling related infrastructure plans, their views on initiatives that create a safer cycling environment, how they plan to increase cycling participation and how their cycling initiatives will be funded.

The Liberal party has released a draft of their West Australian Bike Network Plan (WABN), and we expect that the final version of that document will have both projects and funding information. The Greens have released their Bikevision, a document that includes projects, costings, targets and sources of funds. At this stage we are not aware of the cycling related projects planned by the Nationals or by Labor.

We have done a "first look" comparison between the WABN Draft (presumably the Liberal offering) and BikeVision from the Greens on our website.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Red Rider

Re: 2013 State Elections - cycle instead????

Postby Red Rider » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:10 pm

:D

Really, it's good to see all 3 parties talking about cycling infrastructure. I can't see Labor being out-done by the Coalition. The growing numbers of cycling participation means that all parties have to be serious about bike policy.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:55 pm

The Labor party in WA has responded to the Bicycle Transport Alliance questions. You can read their response on the BTA website.

Andrew
Andrew

CycleSnail

BTA asks the parties for increased

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:44 pm

BTA suggestions to the Parties in regards to cycling

3% of transport budget for cycling

Perth needs 140 km of Principal Shared Paths to complete the cycling projects described in the 1996 Bike Plan. To allow for proportional expenditure required in the regions and population increase, $340mio is required over the next ten years, or about $34mio per year (See the report by Catalyst). Money should also be invested in the suburbs, where short trips to train stations, schools and shops would provide health and congestion benefits, and increase quality of life for local residents. The total funding requirement is $50mio per year for the next ten years. 3% of the Transport Budget to go to cycling (to be achieved without reducing spending on Public Transport), that would be $48.6mio pa.

Double Cycling Participation by 2018

Support a doubling of bicycle participation by 2018, in line with the unpublished WABN draft. A connected safe bicycle network will contribute towards the targets set in The National Cycling Strategy 2011 – 2016 (to which WA is a signatory). To achieve the WABN target, cycling trips will have to increase by 20% each year for the next five years.
Support policies and provide implementation guidelines to achieve 30% of primary school children and 40% of high school children cycling or walking to school by 2017.

One metre passing distance and lower speeds

Support a 30kmh speed limit on selected urban and suburban roads to make them safer for children riding to school and people riding to shops and train stations.
Innitiate the parliamentary steps necessary to appoint a cycling representative to the Road Safety Council.
Support a law declaring that motor vehicle drivers must give cyclists a metre clearance when overtaking.
Support for the 40 recommendations from the OLA/RAC Cycling Safety Forum

Bikes on public transport

Support and provide policies for the carriage of bicycles on all forms of public transport

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 am

The response of Colin Barnett to our questions can be found on our website

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Labor announces cycling policy
Infrastructure investment and legislation is required to create a safer environment for vulnerable road users and to improve cycling participation in Perth. The Labor policy announcement does not address either issue – no funding and no legal protection for people riding bicycles.
Labor’s main transport policy thrust for this election is Metronet. Cycling is positioned as a feeder into the rail system, with all new train stations designed for easy access by, and secure storage for, bicycles.
The policy states: “While we will continue to need to build roads and railways to meet our rapidly growing population we also need to encourage people to use other modes of transport such as cycling. An investment in cycling is one important part of the solution to the traffic congestion crisis currently confronting Perth.”
The announcement indicates that Labor will continue to build roads and improve public transport, but cycling will simply be “encouraged”. If people choose not to cycle, for instance because of the lack of safe connected infrastructure, well it must be because they have not been “encouraged” enough.
It is hard to find anything in the policy announcement that is not covered in the West Australian Bike Network Plan (except perhaps lockers as part of bike shelters).

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Policy can also be found here

(On Mark McGowan's website)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 am

I was at the WA Sustainable Transport Futures Forum in Fremantle yesterday evening. Ken Travers, Labor spokesperson on transport made a short presentation. I managed to grab a video of the bicycling related part on my phone ... looks like Labor are now linking PSP in with their proposed new rail lines.

Andrew
Andrew

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks, Andrew.

When I heard Ken talking, I thought he meant that there would be PSP's along all the new heavy rail Metronet lines - because the PSP's along the current rail lines, whilst incomplete, are the major spines of the bike network. I guess I WANTED to hear it, as this would give the people in the Northern suburbs some excellent options for cycling that do not exist now, and we know that building cycling paths as part of major infrastructure projects is very economical.

When I spoke to Ken afterwards, he clarified that there was no plan and no budget to build PSP's along the Metronet lines. As he said in the snippet recorded, where the building of Metronet coincided with unfinished PSP's from the current Bike Network Plan, they would be built at the same time. Thinking about the current WABN, I cannot think where that would apply.

:(

Btw - had to cycle all the way back home because the trains from Fremantle did not run ... got home just before 11 (... Easterly winds)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:44 pm

CycleSnail wrote:When I spoke to Ken afterwards, he clarified that there was no plan and no budget to build PSP's along the Metronet lines. As he said in the snippet recorded, where the building of Metronet coincided with unfinished PSP's from the current Bike Network Plan, they would be built at the same time. Thinking about the current WABN, I cannot think where that would apply.
That is disappointing ...

Andrew
Andrew

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks for reporting on the forum, I wasn't able to make it that night.

It's disappointing to hear Labor plan to make the same short-sighted mistakes as previous governments. Building bike infrastructure in conjunction with major transport proposals is a no-brainer. It's a symptom of populist campaigning without regard for considered long-term planning.

88mph

Postby 88mph » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 pm

CycleSnail wrote: When I spoke to Ken afterwards, he clarified that there was no plan and no budget to build PSP's along the Metronet lines. As he said in the snippet recorded, where the building of Metronet coincided with unfinished PSP's from the current Bike Network Plan, they would be built at the same time. Thinking about the current WABN, I cannot think where that would apply.
)
That would have been a good time to remind Ken that there isnt actually a plan or a budget for MetroNet either.

It's a pitty that PSP's aren't an election issue (even a small one). Its a great return on investment compared to other infrastructure, and if more connecting-PSP existed we would see a huge increase in riders. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir here.........

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:59 pm

88mph wrote:
That would have been a good time to remind Ken that there isnt actually a plan or a budget for MetroNet either.

It's a pitty that PSP's aren't an election issue (even a small one). Its a great return on investment compared to other infrastructure, and if more connecting-PSP existed we would see a huge increase in riders. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir here.........
Spot on, the benefit to cost ratio is 3.4 to 1 for cycling infrastructure, 1.8 to 1 for public transport, and roads struggle to get 1 to 1. (The background to this data can be found here).

The BTA is asking for sufficent funding to complete the Bicycle Network (3% of the transport budget), a doubling of cycling participation by 2018, a safer legal environment for cyclists and the integration of cycling with public transport at all times

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:45 am

WA MORNINGS TRANSPORT FORUM
In conjunction with the RAC
Hosted by Geoff Hutchison, presenter of WA Mornings with guests
Troy Buswell, Ken Travers and Lynn MacLaren

Life broadcast 10am - 11am

I will try to ask questions around money committed by the parties for the next four years to cycling

As I posted elsewhere in the forum:
In the meantime there is an election coming up. Getting about $35mio to $50mio per year into cycling would help to finish the PSP network, and start funding separation of pedestians and cyclists on the heaviest used routes. Talk to your local candidates and make sure that they understand that funding cycling is more cost effective than any other transport investment (Benefit to cost ratio 3.4 to 1 compared to 1.8 to 1 for public transport and less than 1 to 1 for roads). If the MAX rail network can justify $1.8bio to move 25000 people per day by 2020, for a fraction of that (about 10%) we can complete the PSP network and get the same amount of people safely cycling into the CBD, not only reducing congestion but also providing health and environmental benefits.

None of the major parties have committed to any direct funding for cycling for the next term of government!

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Date: Thursday 14th February
Time: 10am - 11am
This event is now at capacity. You can listen in to the debate on WA Mornings with Geoff Hutchison from 10am on-air, online and on digital.

Hopefully a decent amount of attention will be paid to the most cost effective form of transport.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Red Rider wrote:This event is now at capacity.

Hopefully a decent amount of attention will be paid to the most cost effective form of transport.
Or they can find a bigger venue...
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:53 am

I and many will be tied up with work obviously. Is there anywhere that an mp3 will be available from? Or repeated in a more worker-friendly time slot?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:02 pm

I attended the Transport Forum this morning.

All three parties talked about the importance of cycling in the context of congestion. Labor talked about Cycling in connection with Metronet and their "cyclist first policy" and how much they spent in the past ($100mio, a figure that is double the figures in the WABN), but no further funding. Liberals talked about the hugh increase in cycling over the last four years and implied that there would be some funding, The Greens spoke about 3% of the transport budget to go into cycling and produced a neat cycling handout.

Troy and Ken predicably disagreed on the airport terminal station location, Geoff put the bloke who manages the airport on the spot. He "danced on eggshells", but seemed to prefer the Liberal station placement.

Four years ago in a similar forum cycling would not have been talked about....

What we would like to hear, and our comments on the current state of thecycling policies announced are on our website

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:26 pm

It was good to hear that cycling is seen as an important part of the transport system. The major parties are happy to throw around billions of dollars and commit to MAX & MetroNet, including timeframes, it would be nice for them to commit to and allocate funding to the bike network plan.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:34 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I and many will be tied up with work obviously. Is there anywhere that an mp3 will be available from? Or repeated in a more worker-friendly time slot?

Try this

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Red Rider wrote:It was good to hear that cycling is seen as an important part of the transport system. The major parties are happy to throw around billions of dollars and commit to MAX & MetroNet, including timeframes, it would be nice for them to commit to and allocate funding to the bike network plan.
We are working on it ....

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Troy Buswell today announced an additional $30mio for bicycle infrastructure, in addition to the 24.48mio announced last year. This is a direct investment; major infrastructure projects such as the widening of the Great Eastern Highway to the airport automatically include a provision for some cycling facility. It means that the Liberals have committed to continuous funding directly into bicycle infrastructure for their term of Government.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:29 pm

CycleSnail wrote:Troy Buswell today announced an additional $30mio for bicycle infrastructure, in addition to the 24.48mio announced last year. This is a direct investment; major infrastructure projects such as the widening of the Great Eastern Highway to the airport automatically include a provision for some cycling facility. It means that the Liberals have committed to continuous funding directly into bicycle infrastructure for their term of Government.
Did he provide any specifics on where the funding will go, at least in the next 12 months?

Andrew
Andrew

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Aushiker wrote:
CycleSnail wrote:Troy Buswell today announced an additional $30mio for bicycle infrastructure, in addition to the 24.48mio announced last year. This is a direct investment; major infrastructure projects such as the widening of the Great Eastern Highway to the airport automatically include a provision for some cycling facility. It means that the Liberals have committed to continuous funding directly into bicycle infrastructure for their term of Government.
Did he provide any specifics on where the funding will go, at least in the next 12 months?

Andrew
I am trying to upload the press release on to the website, but I struggle a bit. The path to Midland is first cab of the rank ....

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Sounds promising! Looking forward to seeing more detail.