How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Comedian

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Well my commute was slow today. Legs were slammed after the Fondo yesterday. Plus, it was like a cyclo-cross event. Mud and obstacles everywhere after the storm. I nearly had to do a bike carry a couple of times. :mrgreen:

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:55 pm

My ride this morning was lovely, warm and calm. Moreton Bay was like glass. It is morning like this that makes riding a bike such a wonderful experience.

Friday evening however was something different: 35 km ride into a 44 kph gusting to 52 kph headwind is character building. To stop pedalling was like applying the brakes.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Perth (Yesterday and today):

After a magic week last week it's gone all muggy and a little less comfortable. Oh well...
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 pm

I thought the weather this morning in Perth was really nice.
Though I start at 6am so no chance to get muggy.
My ride this morning was excellent until I got to the front gate of the base. Normal practice is for cars to slow and drive through while you hold up your ID. Motorcyclists pull over on the right in front of the guard and remove their helmet and show their ID. Cyclists ride along like cars whilst just holding up their ID.
Given that I am very new at commuting I have decided that until my balance and control is better I will just pull up where the motorbikes do so I don't crash in front of a very long line of cars.
Pull up this morning in front of the guard and she blows up "YOU are supposed to ride along that side there and show your ID that way, not stop here"
wow. I simply replied with "I don't have good enough balance yet to hold up my ID and ride at the same time, I don't want to crash" she just waved me through and ignored me.

Common sense has no place there apparently.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 am

seems like it is April/May weather at the moment instead of being the start of summer

very overcast all the way and cool, winds were up and into the face as well...was going great guns until the last 16 k's, then the rain hit. Wasnt as bad as what I thought it might be but combined with the heavy winds made the ride different. Now for everything to dry out in the office so that it can get wet on the way home

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:40 am

Lovely afternoon in Melbourne yesterday for the ride home, and no MMs to spoil it, hooray.
Ok ride in this morning, noticing a little bit of strain in my knees on the new frame. Must check saddle height/position, I think.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Reman

Postby Reman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Why does one of the guys waving his baton on Pyrmont Bridge always stand right where you want to ride so you can safely avoid pedestrians? Asked him to not stand in the way as I went past, he yelled back about "speeding" cyclists, etc :roll:

Next time I think I'll stop and try to calmly and constructively explain how standing in the path of cyclists narrows the gap we can ride through making it inherently more unsafe. I also like how considering it is a shared zone they only berate cyclists never pedestrians who wander all over the place.

Starting to seriously consider bypassing it....

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm

A rather unique commuting experience today, and one that can only be replicated in Tasmania (at least in Australia that is). Hope on the bike, head out of work, hit the roundabout 200m up the road, clear the traffic and start to build up a head of steam. Then straight in the phizog, heading in the opposite direction at roughly the same velocity, a bumble bee (yes they were introduced to Tassie)! Cue much coughing and spluttering (I like to think I didn't break my cadence but that is probably wishful thinking) and after a few hairy and spiky moments, finally spat the bugger out. Unfortunately it had managed to sting me on the roof off the mouth so I spent the remainder of ride with a swelling painful lump, and a fun 10 minutes when I got home trying to remove the sting with a pair of tweezers and not simultaneously gag. Needless to say I don't recommend it!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Reman wrote:Next time I think I'll stop and try to
dismount and stand in his personal space. If you've ever seen an episode of Jackass, you will know what to do.

My commutes have been getting TOUGH. Been trying to get back into the big ring a bit more on the climbs, get the cardio going, rather than conserving energy. I really need some bigger muscles to push the bike, and it won't come from the granny ring.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:46 am

Windy and warm in Melbourne yesterday afternoon. Spent a good portion of the MYT/Darebin Creek Trail combo dealing with a 30+km/h northerly headwind. Still not entirely comfortable with my riding position, but am making small adjustments, one at a time and hopefully will have it optimised soon.
Windy again this morning, but at least blowing mainly in my direction of travel.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:09 am

Fun commute. Despite the loose spoke I had to tighten 5 minutes in (wondered what the clicking noise was coming from the rear wheel). So much traffic, but the cut-down flat bars do a wonderful of weaving :D

Jim

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:10 am

Yesterday was great, PB on Strava segment, 2nd overall, great time to work, but if I hadn't concentrated on the Strava segment and backed off after it ended might have had an overall PB.

This morning before I left decided to cruise, but then the old CCR kicked in when I saw riders ahead. Can't help myself. As usual they werent CCR wins in the true sense, I was on roadie, they on MTB but I Must assert my authority on the PSP :roll:
Mostly im up against cruisy cyclists, but this morning a couple took a little extra catching -nice-
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:12 am

Funny how things work out - yesterday I was a bit flat - 2km/h down on usual & everything was hard work. Today 2 km/h up on usual and all was easy.
Reman wrote:Why does one of the guys waving his baton on Pyrmont Bridge always stand right where you want to ride so you can safely avoid pedestrians? Asked him to not stand in the way as I went past, he yelled back about "speeding" cyclists, etc :roll:
I suspect that would be the one I call Harry Potter. If he upsets you again, just call out "morning Harry" as you ride past - he goes apoplectic while you ride off with a smile on your face. They actually took him off thebridge for a while because he seems to mistunderstand his role.
Reman wrote:Starting to seriously consider bypassing it....
You and me both Reman. Doing a bit of extra distance doesn't worry me, but I still haven't figured out a decent way to bypass pyrmont bridge & the very narrow bridge along the freeway at the city end and still end up at the top of King St. Happy to hear any suggestions.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 am

Well this strava thing is a little addictive. Monday arvo ride I set a PB on a segment and I wasnt really trying. Yesterday I thought I would give it a proper crack. My position on the totem pole was 107 before the ride home yesterday. I am now 7th, took a minute off my time overall for the 2.9 k segment.b To get to 2nd position I need to find another extra 2 k's for my average time. Cruised rest of the way home as I was going to have a neighbour on his TT bike riding with me the next day, today, and I wanted to have something in reserve as he usually pushes it.

Ride in this morning was brilliant, having another rider with me the entire way made me work a little harder than I normally would. Weather was perfect too.

The strava segments and having someone ride with me, certainly breaks up the boredom of my rides. I am really restricted to a single path to and from work, unless I want to add another 30+ k's to my rides so am finding these "distractions" really good.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:45 am

gretaboy wrote:I am really restricted to a single path to and from work, unless I want to add another 30+ k's to my rides so am finding these "distractions" really good.
don't do that - you're smashing me already

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:57 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:I am really restricted to a single path to and from work, unless I want to add another 30+ k's to my rides so am finding these "distractions" really good.
don't do that - you're smashing me already
am hoping to do 430-450 k's this week....5 day commute week :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:45 am

Rode back via Eaglemont, then decided to hop onto the Banyule Trail towards Greensborough, then underneath the Greensborough Highway and across to Bundoora. Made for a nice change, although a little hilly in places.
This morning's commute featured a roo sitting on the bikepath alongside the Western Ring Road. There's a narrow section that is fenced in on both sides, so as I approached, it decided to bound along in front of me, then next to me as I overtook it, probably for a distance of 50m or so....funny :lol:
My quest for a route with less lights didn't work out this morning and I took significantly longer to get to work with more reds encountered than before...will keep on trying alternatives.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:09 pm

TailWind wrote:My quest for a route with less lights didn't work out this morning and I took significantly longer to get to work with more reds encountered than before...will keep on trying alternatives.
Red lights = sprint training :)

Andrew
Andrew

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:16 pm

Legs = shagged.
Bike = electric

:mrgreen:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Comedian wrote:Legs = shagged.
Bike = electric
Correction: Bike = Velomobile :)

Andrew
Andrew

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Bike = electric

back at physio tonight, he said "no"

bah :(

edit: 9000kms commuting for the year
11000kms total for the year

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:50 pm

jasonc wrote:
Bike = electric

back at physio tonight, he said "no"

"No" for how long? That really sucks. Gees, I hope you can get back riding soon!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Marto wrote:
jasonc wrote:back at physio tonight, he said "no"

"No" for how long? That really sucks. Gees, I hope you can get back riding soon!
I go back in 2 weeks. I can ride 1 way a day.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:36 am

Fantastic commute today, and first 5-in-a-row week since Jan last year. Fitter than ever again and loving it :mrgreen: .
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 am

Very nice weather riding in to the Melb CBD this morning.
This was offset by the complete idiot who was driving a mini-bus and trailer (the type that do Airport shuttle runs), who decided that upon exiting the roundabout he'd run wide...no really wide....and forced me to ride on the gutter to avoid being hit by his trailer as he continued to move left across the lane as he straightened out of the roundabout.
Thankfully the gutters in our area are the curved type so I was able to ride along the top of the curve and "just" avoid being cleaned up.

The bus then got held up at the lights so I rode past and banged on the side of the bus and door as I went by and said a few unsavoury words (apologies to the 15 or so passengers who likely got startled).

The remainder of the ride was going very well until I startled a small wild rabbit along the bike path, who decided to run across the path and straight behind my front wheel.
Thankfully he didn't run into the front wheel which would likely have ended badly for the both of us....

Looking forward to an uneventful ride home and some nice weather over the weekend!

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S