Mawson Trail

alanm

Mawson Trail

Postby alanm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi All,

Appologies if this has been asked before, but I'm wondering if anyone would have a track file of the Mawson out of a Garmin, or something else, that they could email me so I could migrate it onto OziExplorer.

Thanks in advance.

Al

CliffG

Re: Mawson Trail

Postby CliffG » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:11 pm

You can download a gpx file from here:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ma ... -Australia

alanm

Postby alanm » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Cliff,

Thanks Mate. I'm scanning and calibrating some maps for a friend of mine who will set out on next Monday, this will help me with accuracy.

Al

GJ_Coop

Re: Mawson Trail digital map

Postby GJ_Coop » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Cliff

Just a couple of questions having just finished the Mawson a couple of days ago using the track markers and my backwards memory from 3 years ago to find my way.

Is this an "official" map or just a record of the route someone took who might have deviated now and then from the marked route? I'm asking this because there is a great temptation to take the odd shortcut. The track is pretty well marked but there are also about 3 places where the track markings aren't so easy to follow mainly in the forest sections. This digital route looks close but there isn't so much detail to the map when you are not on an actual road which happens quite a bit. I'm thinking here I had problems with missing markers just at the top of the Cuddly Creek section where you go through the pine forest for a k or so of fun, and some pushing, and the digital map just goes down the car road. There's a few other spots.

The other thing is how old is the map? There's been at least two changes to the track I can spot where the maps don't align with what the markers on the ground say. First is through Mt Crawford Forest the track takes a detour to the west for some reason, more styles to jump, rather than just going more or less straight through. You end up following along the north side of Cricks Mill Road to the next road shown.

The second is you now go all the way into Craddock on the Gordon Springfield Road and then take the unsealed Cradock Road into Hawker rather than as shown cutting across farmland in the two places. The markers have been removed by disgruntled farmers.

Maybe others know where else the digital map is inaccurate but for sure it ain't 100%.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:03 am

Maps by Cartographics - Mid-North South Australia amongst others - show the Mawson Trail route in generally quite a good level of accuracy. Certainly enough to follow it along with the marker signs. They also do the complete set of section maps of the Mawson Trail - full set costs $76.50.

Hema have a map of the Flinders Ranges with the trail similarly shown which we found very useful.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

alanm

Postby alanm » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:24 am

Hey Coops,

The .gpx file was created around May 2008 by the look of it. (Well that's the date stamp on the file, might have been riden the year prior for all I know :) ) I've just this minute finished scanning and calibrating the first 3 maps at 600 DPI from Bike SA up to Burra, my friend is only heading up to Clare and then she's heading over to catch the ferry to the Eyre Peninsular. On those maps I overlayed the .gpx file, once I'd converted it to a .plt file and it stays true, (bar one section in the Crawford Forrest where it deviates to the East once in the forrest) to the trail. Of course, this doesn't mean that it's accurate to the ground markers......... it's just accurate to the map :) Those 3 maps however, are a 2012 reprint, whether they're resurveyed I don't know.

With how I've set up her electronics, she'll be recording the track and I'll see if it tallies. I'll have to take out all the 'getting lost' sections I 'spose......... :)

Al

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Al

Yes, that Crawford Forest bit is well marked on the ground, you have a couple of extra styles to go over which are a pain, but at least the new printed map seems to be on the money.

Just check out the east end of Stone Hut Road where the gps ain't on the marked trail as well. You go for a k or so through the forest if you are feeling frisky, it's somewhat easier to continue on the road.

Your friend should be warned that the worst of the climbing on the whole Trail is climbing up from The Gorge. It's steep and seems to go on and on. A few hours of real slog, but then the slogs up the rest of the Adelaide Hills are merely hard work. When I came through last Sunday all the gates were unlocked so that made things somewhat easier.

GJ

alanm

Postby alanm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:52 am

Coops,

Thanks for that. She's dreading that hill, this will be her first 'off raod' trail and a huge experience for her. So far, she's ridden from Melbourne to Adelaide and that's the sum of her total touring experience.
She's done very well considering she's a late in life starter to this bike touring scene. :D I've told her "Once she gets to the top of that hill it's all a bit of a breeze from there!".......... Can't be inducing too much fear, can one? :lol:

Are you still in Adelaide?

Al

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:23 am

GJ_Coop wrote:Just check out the east end of Stone Hut Road where the gps ain't on the marked trail as well. You go for a k or so through the forest if you are feeling frisky, it's somewhat easier to continue on the road.
The Mawson Trail doesn't go through Stone Hut, which is a real shame as it's a marvelous little village with a signed trail of the historic buildings, plus it has the best bakery in SA to my experience - the Stone Hut Bakery..... absolutely delicious pies :D
Mandatory helmet law?

alanm

Postby alanm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:14 am

Mate, I'm sure he's refering to Stone Hut Road, which is on top of the ridge once one comes off Batchelor Road, Stone Hut road then becomes Gold Mine Ridge Road. He is refering to the Eastern end of Stone Hut Rd, where it passes by some forrest. There are two sections of forrest, that bit on Stone Hut Rd and a larger bit on Gold Mine Ridge Rd. It could be either of those but he's imparted enough info to keep ones eyes open. :D

Al

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Ah, OK, different Stone Hut. But my comments still stand - a real shame that the trail doesn't go through Stone Hut (north of Laura). The bakery there makes a perfect companion with the Golden North ice cream made in Laura.

Bakery on Streetview
Mandatory helmet law?

alanm

Postby alanm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Ah, two more 'bucket list' items...... :)

australiantourer

Postby australiantourer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:40 pm

il padrone wrote:Maps by Cartographics - Mid-North South Australia amongst others - show the Mawson Trail route in generally quite a good level of accuracy. Certainly enough to follow it along with the marker signs. They also do the complete set of section maps of the Mawson Trail - full set costs $76.50.

Hema have a map of the Flinders Ranges with the trail similarly shown which we found very useful.
The full set of maps of the Mawson Trail must be incredibly detailed (I haven't had the opportunity to study one yet). Does anyone have a set they would be prepared to sell? How challenging would it be to travel with just the single sheet map of Flinders Ranges? Is it possible to lose the trail, do you think?

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:27 pm

The problem of not travelling with the maps is when you lose the trail, funny how that happens out there, the markers are actually amazingly good, but it can take a while to find the trail again. I can see time being wasted while you are wondering where the track goes, sometimes when you are trying to get through the towns, ie, where exactly is the track out of Nuriooptpa and how do you find it again, there's a hundred places that can take up time. I had the maps one way I went, the first, heading north, and still was occasionally bamboozled when I came south 3 years later, without them.

australiantourer

Postby australiantourer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:20 pm

GJ_Coop wrote:The problem of not travelling with the maps is when you lose the trail, funny how that happens out there, the markers are actually amazingly good, but it can take a while to find the trail again. I can see time being wasted while you are wondering where the track goes, sometimes when you are trying to get through the towns, ie, where exactly is the track out of Nuriooptpa and how do you find it again, there's a hundred places that can take up time. I had the maps one way I went, the first, heading north, and still was occasionally bamboozled when I came south 3 years later, without them.
Thanks,GJ. I think I'd better get the maps! How many days did you need for the trip? How much water did you carry at the northern end?
cheers