Post Your Ride

tomatofiasco

Re: Post Your Ride

Postby tomatofiasco » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 pm

weighing down this thread with more steel

i recently fixed my totally thrashed mtb cranks - i've had this bike since grade 5 and done 13 years of sweet jumps and rad skids, killing half the original parts dead. These have been replaced with salvaged "upgrades" like the 60-foot steel seatpost from an exercise bike.

everything works awesomely except the front brakes are HOWLING - worn out pivots?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:24 pm

That seatpost is sweet :lol: .

As for the howling i'd try lightly sanding the rims, maybe new pads or roughen them up a bit.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Fuzzboxvoodoo

Postby Fuzzboxvoodoo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 pm

I have never seen anything like that,very cool collector piece.
Slow6 wrote:A little more retro steel to balance this thread out.... Nice old Trek martin!

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Finally finished my Yeti ASR

Newton

Postby Newton » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:06 pm

my lapierre x-control 410, with plenty of extra bits, non standard

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:03 am

Newish Salsa Fargo (Gen1).

This is a clean as it gets, just washed after the mornings social ride.

- David.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Newton wrote:my lapierre x-control 410, with plenty of extra bits, non standard

Loving that!

I really don't like white bikes, and I speak as one who ones a white Scott Spark, but that is gorgeous.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:11 pm

I haven't posted on BNA for a while (I felt like I had run out of things to say mostly). Here's a blurry photo of my last project, finished on the weekend:

Lots of cyclingdeal stuff on there (a build kit with handlebars, headset, seatpost, grips), a cyclingdeal single speed crank, cyclingdeal single speed adapter and chain tensioner on the back. the headset in the "Venzo" set did not fit so there is a correctly sized one in there in gold. Can't remember the brand (not anything good though).

Seat is a Selle turbo (reproduction). Forks are cheap Suntour jobs with a lockout (adequate for 80% of mountain biking, scary on the truly hard stuff though).

The frame is from the tip - a "quantum" aluminium job I sprayed flat black.

The wheels are Quando disk hubs (from dx.com) and Mavic rims (from c r c - $12 each!), plus ebay spokes. I was worried I got the spoke length calculation wrong but they worked out beautifully. The disks are "Bengal" hydros that I bought simply because the calipers and levers are gold and matched the "Venzo" bars.

rode it today to work and snapped the chain on the first big hill (did not seat the pin properly I think) so I need to get that sorted. Otherwise it's pretty neat to ride considering it's made out of stuff I had collected over 8 months of bargain hunting. The simplicity of it appeals to me (no cables!) Once I get the chain sorted I will give it a go offroad and see how it goes - not holding out any hopes for that fork in the really challenging stuff though.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 pm

drubie wrote:I haven't posted on BNA for a while
Damn right you have't, i was wondering where you had got to :) .

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:30 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
drubie wrote:I haven't posted on BNA for a while
Damn right you have't, i was wondering where you had got to :) .
I did a bit of lurking - I was bored with myself let alone inflicting it on the BNA community :)
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Drubie's been away??? :o

Well, I can see why. I like what you're saying here Drub.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:39 am

Just picked this up -

Yes the cables need a tidy up!

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:46 pm

2012 KHS Yuma 29er

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:50 am

drubie wrote: Image
Oh and i completely forgot to say, that looks fantastic! I love how you've done it on the cheap too :) .

EDIT: just needs a gold chain and gold hubs and maybe a gold pulley wheel on the tensioner.... :lol:

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:52 am

Scored myself a 2012 runout Trek Superfly AL Elite last week. Took it for a spin on the local trails over the weekend, very impressed with it!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Very nice. Its the model up from mine.

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Very nice. Its the model up from mine.
My first MTB in around 15 years. Only picked cycling back up around 5 months ago and wanted to get back into recreational mountain biking. Probably a bit overkill for my uses, but half the fun is setting up a nice machine. :)

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:21 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
EDIT: just needs a gold chain and gold hubs and maybe a gold pulley wheel on the tensioner.... :lol:
I've ditched the tensioner already - all I needed was about 1mm room forwards in the dropouts so I carefully filed a small notch in there. So no need to colour match the tensioner :P

I tried getting gold hubs and a chain but it would have blown the costs right out of the water - as it was the wheels ended up being $80 for the set with the red hubs which I thought was pushing it for something that is just a toy. The forks need to be black I think, that might balance it out a bit.

I am getting a jealous on all the 29ers in this thread. Those Yeti bikes just bake my noodle.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Just converted the Superfly to SS. Will take it out for a spin tomorrow.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:53 pm

About time I got me Wanga out... :wink:
And so it begins...
Hard as steel...
Singlespeed ready...
Numbers are OK...
Getting there...

Done and dusty...
First run...

Second time out...

Shamino SLX/XT 3x10 running gear and Deore brakes with Clarks Wavey 180/160 rotors on SRAM 406 wheels, Rockshox Recon RL 100mm fork, Syncros headset, Truvativ post, M540 pedals. PartsBox bar, stem and saddle, ESI grips. Sundry shiny Token bits.

Still a couple of things left to do, fettling stem height means the ugly spacer stack can stay for a while and I'm still waiting for hose clamps and a new olive kit so I can get the brake lines properly tidied, I was a little tentative shortening the hoses. A Brooks Swift before long too methinks...

If you're wondering about the tyres, prime role for this steed will be urban assault and as a backup commuter. I've got plenty of knobbies in the shed and swapping over will take me all of 10 minutes if I want to hit some decent dirt.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Mulger bill wrote: I'm still waiting for hose clamps and a new olive kit so I can get the brake lines properly tidied, I was a little tentative shortening the hoses.
The brakes should have come with a spare olive and insert, mine did.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Mulger bill wrote: the ugly spacer stack
Really? I thought that was one of the cooler points when i first saw it, sure it's on the tall side but the colours more than make up for that :) .

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:08 pm

antipodean wrote:
Mulger bill wrote: I'm still waiting for hose clamps and a new olive kit so I can get the brake lines properly tidied, I was a little tentative shortening the hoses.
They did, I used them. Not very efficiently I'm afraid. I still need to take about 100 mm out of both :oops:
ldrcycles wrote:
Mulger bill wrote: the ugly spacer stack
Really? I thought that was one of the cooler points when i first saw it, sure it's on the tall side but the colours more than make up for that :) .
Thanks for that, I thought the red and gold worked well together. I wasn't planning on getting coloured but didn't have enough black and these came up high on the c r c search.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:07 am

Mulger bill wrote:
antipodean wrote:
They did, I used them. Not very efficiently I'm afraid. I still need to take about 100 mm out of both :oops:
Always been a fan of measure once cut twice myself. Still you cut them too long which is always easier than lengthening the hose later :D

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Older Reign...gone through alot of changes in the past three years...finally at a point where I am relatively happy with everything.

Sitting at 13.48kg....keen to get it spot onto 13kg. New front tyre should shave off ~200grams alone (running a 2.3" Ignitor UST - heavy and pointless given I'm not running a tubeless setup anyway).

XT Trails to replace the Avid Elixir 5's at some point early next year too.