Rebuild MKS MT Lite pedals

WestcoastPete

Rebuild MKS MT Lite pedals

Postby WestcoastPete » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi all

I've used a lot of MKS pedals. I find them to be very good quality for the price, but they are notorious for coming with a bit of a lack of grease, so I make a habit of rebuilding them before use. I bought some MKS MT Lite pedals for the first time this week, for a friends bike. Unlike all the other MKS pedals I've used, it's very difficult to access the lock nut under the plastic cover. Does anyone have a tip on how to get into it without bodging it? The cage is riveted on so cannot be removed.

Thanks

MKS MT Lite pedal by WestcoastPete, on Flickr

greyhoundtom

Re: Rebuild MKS MT Lite pedals

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:03 pm

While you have most likely pulled it apart by now.........the four holes in the plastic cover look like they would fit something like a lever with four pins sticking out to allow that cover to be unscrewed.

It should not be too difficult to make something to fit these holes such as a strip of hardwood with small nails at the right location.

I doubt that the plastic cover would be real tight, so it should not take a lot of torque to move it.

darkhorse75

Postby darkhorse75 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Its just a press fit plastic cap, the holes are there for no apparent reason, definitely doesn't unscrew. Use something fairly strong in the notch on the bottom to lever it out. I broke 3 jewellers screwdrivers trying to lever one of these out because it's such a tight fit.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Usually such holes are there for a reason, and that is that a tool is needed to unscrew it. My time pedals have similar sized and spaced holes. I got a set of circlip pliers from Bunnings to use in the holes.

To adjust your lock-nuts on the bearing cones probably requires a recessed ring spanner.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 am

Ah. Yes, no problem with the plastic cap. The problem is more about accessing the locknut. (for what it's worth, the four little holes don't really do much. The cap is just press fit and will pop of with a bit of persuasion with a small screwdriver. Rotating the cap via the holes might help loosen it though.)

If you look at something like the MKS MT-E you can see that there is a recess in the pedal cage which allows the insertion of a socket. I can get the socket into this pedal, but not the ratchet.

I'm out and about for a bit today so will see if I can find an recessed ring spanner. Good idea that one.

Thanks all.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2