Bike routes departing from Sydney?

Bike routes departing from Sydney?

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi all,

I'm from Perth and doing some postgraduate studies at Sydney Uni. I'll be flying into Sydney for a week in May and October 2013 to do some intensive units and will have some days in the middle to kill.

I am planning to take my bike across and do some riding on my days off. However I have no familiarity at all with cycling in Sydney. I was thinking of maybe riding around 100-150kms on my free days and would be grateful if you have any tips on routes that I might be able to take. I will be staying in a hotel in the CBD.

I would love to do some climbing if possible as Perth doesn't offer a lot in this regard! Is it possible to ride to the blue mountains and back in a day?

I am a fairly confident rider and don't mind riding on the road with cars but would prefer cycleways (as I can stop if I get lost and consult google maps!)

Cheers
Andrew
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2013 Specialized Langster | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc
RoFlmaTiC

by BNA » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:42 pm

BNA

Re: Bike routes departing from Sydney?

Postby Reman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Reman

Postby george-bob » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 am

A really popular route is city-waterfall return: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/DHBC-Waterfall-Ride

Or do the classic 3 gorges: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/3-Gorges486584
george-bob

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for the suggestions, looking forward to giving them a crack next year :)
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2013 Specialized Langster | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc
RoFlmaTiC

Postby goneriding » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:23 pm

You can do the Blue Mountains in a day - a very long day! What you could try is training it out to Penrith and then riding over to Lithgow and back (or train). Keep an eye out for Leximack's epic rides (200+ km's).

It's probably best to start with a few organised rides to find your way around and get used to Sydney traffic (which can be feral).

Have a look at bunchridefinder as there are a number of bunches in the Inner West (Dulwich Hill, Sydney Uni Velo, LACC, and others) that have various rides throughout the week and on the weekends. LACC for example have a variety of training rides at Olympic Park during the week in addition to a ride out to Bondi on Wednesdays and rides to Bobbin Head and Carlingford on Saturday. Sunday has a variety of rides heading South or North ranging from 70km's - 150+ km's.

Dulwich Hill does a regular ride to Waterfall with a monthly addition of Royal National Park.
goneriding

Return to New South Wales