Travelling the Birdsville Track

GJ_Coop

Travelling the Birdsville Track

Postby GJ_Coop » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:45 pm

While I've got access to some time, broadband and the all important electricity flow I've cracked out a guide to the Birdsville track.

Fortunately there’s still a few major tests for the average dirt road bike tourer left in Australia and the Birdsville is up there for those who prefer cycling with some quantity of adversity to overcome.

It might not be as rugged an adventure as it once was, say back in the 1930s but the unsealed highway still presents its challenges: a mainly chunky road surface; goodly distance between supply points, like 523 km; a general lack of facilities along the way; the requirement to plan the water situation; the need for self sufficiency out there.

Still it retains its legendary status due to the overall remoteness, the sparseness of the landscape you traverse, it’s one of the most barren areas in the continent, it really is the whole lot of nothingness you might anticipate, massive vistas across Sturts Stony Desert, the lack of significant sized vegetation, the dry watercourses, the huge sky all making for a compelling Outback experience.
For those who are sick of riding on k after k of softish Outback dirt road the Birdsville is quite the change: softness is not a problem here unless referring to one's posterior.

Check it my report out here.

il padrone

Re: Travelling the Birdsville Track

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm

GJ_Coop wrote:For those who are sick of riding on k after k of softish Outback dirt road the Birdsville is quite the change
Now I can kinda relate to that :(

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:22 pm

I had a look at the donation page, and found a note "this recipient is currently unable to receive money" . Thought you might want to know about it.
Dont worry, I am pretty stingy, so you have not missed much. :D

Very interesting photos. I have no experience on anything but a road bike, and would only attempt this ride in a group. I admire you

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 pm

Master

Buggar, I was wondering why that flow of money had dried up. Thanks for letting me know.

Paypal don't make it easy for ya, but hopefully it will only take another 5 or 6 emails to resolve.

Better get my banking system up and running before I release my new podcast section on the website that I've been working on for the last few days. That's been fun but HTML and CSS are way easier to come to terms with than having to wrestle with the bureaucracy.

I'd like to ride in a group as well, I'm missing out on my quota of raging arguments travelling by myself.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:20 pm

GJ_Coop wrote:I'd like to ride in a group as well, I'm missing out on my quota of raging arguments travelling by myself.
A group from my club, MBTC are riding to the top of Cape York from Cairns next June. May be a fairly small group, just ~3-4. I have directed them to your blog.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."