Have I hit a brick wall?

greyhoundtom

Re: Have I hit a brick wall?

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:32 am

Hey Adrian........don’t sweat on the troll insinuation bit.........you’re doing good.

I’m a bit like you and tend to get just a little over enthusiastic about whatever grabs my imagination, and then it’s like a bull at a gate, it becomes the only thing I think and talk about, and I won’t leave it alone until I achieve what I set out to do.

That is until something else gets me fired up. :lol:

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Adrian, do you sometimes post here under the name "Krank"?

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:47 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Hey Adrian........don’t sweat on the troll insinuation bit.........you’re doing good.

I’m a bit like you and tend to get just a little over enthusiastic about whatever grabs my imagination, and then it’s like a bull at a gate, it becomes the only thing I think and talk about, and I won’t leave it alone until I achieve what I set out to do.

That is until something else gets me fired up. :lol:
Thanks for the heads up. I may end up still going down the Recumbent path but at least I will still be riding as much as I can.
master6 wrote:Adrian, do you sometimes post here under the name "Krank"?
Nah I only use the one nickname, why is that?
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:29 pm

adrian_d wrote:Nah I only use the one nickname, why is that?
I noted some amasing similarities in style here between you and another member, Krank.

My mistake. :oops:

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:27 pm

master6 wrote:
adrian_d wrote:Nah I only use the one nickname, why is that?
I noted some amasing similarities in style here between you and another member, Krank.

My mistake. :oops:
Ah yeah no worries. I read through a few of his threads and could see the similarities :)

I only got on the prolite once since Bupa Around the Bay event and had sold my ticket for Eastlink Ride For Homes, the one time I did head out it was rather warm and windy, I would admit that it wasn't the most appropriate of conditions to try get out and about on the bike again.

I have decided to keep going and keep to my training, i'm sure its pretty usual to have ups and downs with anything fitness related.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:06 pm

With any interest/hobby/whatever you want to refer to it as, there will be times you push a bit too hard, try to do a bit too much and you will need to just have a bit of a rest and remotivate yourself. Just going for a really quiet little cruise along the beach (or whatever scenery you have available) will work well.

As an example, after working really hard to restore 7 or 8 bikes for the Noosa L'Eroica i didn't do any of that kind of work for a couple of months so i could recharge. Back into it now though and still really enjoying it :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:35 am

It seems to me that this is a problem with goal-setting. Adrian had is goal of RTB, has done that - now what?

What he needs is another goal. I suggest P-B-P. 8) I reckon 72 hours should be a reasonable target. :twisted:
(Sir Hubert Opperman did it in 1931 in under 50hrs, probably on a fixed gear)

The next one is 2015 and you need to qualify with 200, 300, 400, and 600km rides first.

Cheers,

Cameron

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:44 am

ironhanglider wrote:It seems to me that this is a problem with goal-setting. Adrian had is goal of RTB, has done that - now what?

What he needs is another goal. I suggest P-B-P. 8) I reckon 72 hours should be a reasonable target. :twisted:
(Sir Hubert Opperman did it in 1931 in under 50hrs, probably on a fixed gear)

The next one is 2015 and you need to qualify with 200, 300, 400, and 600km rides first.

Cheers,

Cameron
Thats very true Cameron, now that the event is over I don't have any particular events to work towards.

I know of 2 main events in the year, Around the bay and the eastlink event. Is there any other particular ones that I could work towards that aren't at professional level but still fun enough to get out on the weekend?

My latest thoughts were to continue cycling but to get a recumbent instead, having a seated down position (and an almost Velomobile style seating position), I may find it more enjoyable longer term.

I'd still be rather daunted to use one on the road without a huge flag :(

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 am

Try the 3 peaks!

boss

Postby boss » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 am

Enjoy riding for what it is!

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:53 am

adrian_d wrote: Is there any other particular ones that I could work towards that aren't at professional level but still fun enough to get out on the weekend?

Firstly, I take my hat off to anyone who can even consider PBP.

Closer to home, more "doable", and a lead in to training for that "unmentionable", try Grafton to Inverell. You can do it as a sportif event very early in the year, and again as a race in October.

At 228km, it might not be any longer than around the bay, but it will throw up some very different challenges.

It is a very well run event.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 am

adrian_d wrote:Is there any other particular ones that I could work towards that aren't at professional level but still fun enough to get out on the weekend?
http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... des/42359/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:58 am

adrian_d wrote:
Thats very true Cameron, now that the event is over I don't have any particular events to work towards.

I know of 2 main events in the year, Around the bay and the eastlink event. Is there any other particular ones that I could work towards that aren't at professional level but still fun enough to get out on the weekend?
E grade racing isn't professional by any definition.

Or for distance riding...
http://www.audax.org.au/public/index.php

Cheers,

Cameron

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:45 am

jasonc wrote:
adrian_d wrote:Is there any other particular ones that I could work towards that aren't at professional level but still fun enough to get out on the weekend?
http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... des/42359/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow thanks for that. I've never done more than 110km so far so it would be a very good challenge indeed. Could I train enough till the day to do that sort of distance?
ironhanglider wrote:
E grade racing isn't professional by any definition.

Or for distance riding...
http://www.audax.org.au/public/index.php

Cheers,

Cameron
Ah I see, I think anyone better than me is a pro haha.

That distance riding does look good. I have a Wagon so I could easily put everything in the car and sleep (next to my bike lol)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 am

jimboss wrote:Enjoy riding for what it is!
THIS!!!

If you want some challenges Adrian, try doing the Boulevard without changing gear or find the nastiest pinch climb you can and see how far you can get on a FG before stalling. Try to improve...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

boss

Postby boss » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
THIS!!!

If you want some challenges Adrian, try doing the Boulevard without changing gear or find the nastiest pinch climb you can and see how far you can get on a FG before stalling. Try to improve...
You and me, we think the same.

My current challenge is a hill that makes me nervous just thinking about it. 20%, 500m, painfully hard on my lowest gear. Painfully hard - standing up, no hope in hell of being able to sit, legs lactic, lungs burning - but the feeling when you reach the top is pretty hard to match.

Actually, the feeling after completing any challenge is pretty hard to match.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:01 pm

jimboss wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
THIS!!!

You and me, we think the same.

My current challenge is a hill that makes me nervous just thinking about it. 20%, 500m, painfully hard on my lowest gear. Painfully hard - standing up, no hope in hell of being able to sit, legs lactic, lungs burning - but the feeling when you reach the top is pretty hard to match.

Actually, the feeling after completing any challenge is pretty hard to match.
Thanks to both of you :)
The feeling of finishing Bupa was like no other. I know I didn't finish first, far from it but the self satisfaction of completing the challenge was awesome.

Seeing everyone look at me as I pushed my bike through the festival was awesome, even if it was 20km or 40km the feeling was undescribable.

I think I need to start riding to work again, but i'm still a bit too nervous to ride on the main roads.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:30 pm

adrian_d wrote:I think I need to start riding to work again, but i'm still a bit too nervous to ride on the main roads.
I've just worked out your next challenge mate.

For the next two weekends, get out there and scout your best route. Don't worry about times or distance yet, concentrate on the terrain itself, ie: If I turn left here and take the second right I reckon I can avoid that horrible intersection where everyone always floors it for the amber. Rinse and repeat until you've found the best combo of pros and cons to make the most efficient and safest route for you.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the comments Mulger Bill, thats a great idea. I'll try those things out. Its strange that I was enjoying myself the most when I kept falling off the bike, those darn cleats lol. Maybe I should fall over a bit more lol.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 am

I was off to a flying start this morning. I decided to ride into wok. Around 10-12km there.

I ventured out and started heading up the usual hill on my street, I downshifted the front deraileur to the smaller gear, and out of no where it ends up slipping off. At this stage I was doing 1-2km an hour (and changed gears without any pressure on the crank). I literally come to a complete stop on an incline and JUST manage to unclick my feet and stop myself from falling. So I decide to check over the bike and try ride again, out of no where I feel the crank won't want to spin, so I decide to roll back home and check it over.

Of all my luck I find one of the chainlinks bent at a 45 degree angle in the middle. I have no idea how this could have happened. The best I could do was to bend it straight again and make sure that the bearing/link itself will still spin fine and won't catch.

I ended up being 30 minutes late for work (took an hour to do 8km) and I got to work exhausted and even more unmotivated then I was yesterday :(

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Two suggestions:-

1-2 kph is far too slow to be changing gears.

You need a new chain. The straightened links are not reliable. (perhaps you could remove the bent link, and shorten the chain by1 inch if its length permits )

These things happen. Cheer up :D

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 pm

master6 wrote:Two suggestions:-

1-2 kph is far too slow to be changing gears.

You need a new chain. The straightened links are not reliable. (perhaps you could remove the bent link, and shorten the chain by1 inch if its length permits )

These things happen. Cheer up :D
Oh thanks for that, I think I may have been doing more (not a very good judge of speed) but my speedo had also failed at that stage. Of all the luck lmao.

Your not wrong there, a new chain would be on the list. The last thing I want is for it to happen again. I wonder why the chain may have bent in the first place.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 pm

adrian_d wrote:. I wonder why the chain may have bent in the first place.
Its to do with chain angle.

Regardless of your speed, it takes a fixed amount of time to move the lever, and therefore the derailleur, from one position to another.

If you are pedalling fast, the amount of cog /ring that goes past the derailleur in that time is greater than when you are pedalling more slowly. At the slower speed, the chain gets moved at a sharper angle.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:20 pm

master6 wrote:
adrian_d wrote:. I wonder why the chain may have bent in the first place.
Its to do with chain angle.

Regardless of your speed, it takes a fixed amount of time to move the lever, and therefore the derailleur, from one position to another.

If you are pedalling fast, the amount of cog /ring that goes past the derailleur in that time is greater than when you are pedalling more slowly. At the slower speed, the chain gets moved at a sharper angle.
Oh I see. I thought it was usually in relation to the load applied to the crank that had more of an effect. Could there be enough motion to bend a chain ring in such a way?

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:45 pm

adrian_d wrote:Oh I see. I thought it was usually in relation to the load applied to the crank that had more of an effect. Could there be enough motion to bend a chain ring in such a way?
Bend a chain ring? :o You said that you bent a chain link :!:

Load will also be a relevant factor, however at very low speed you would need to maintain some load to prevent stalling, unless of course you were going down hill.