Temporary SS my MTB

mattwilkinson

Temporary SS my MTB

Postby mattwilkinson » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Hey guys,

Is it possible to run my normal 8 speed chain on a ss cog.

i was thinking about buying a shimano conversion kit with a 16t cog, Riding to my school is a lot up hill, And the way I go home is mainly flat with a longish hill to finish.

I currently have a 3x chainset (I intend on using the biggest chainring 42t) and between gear 5-6 on my current cassette (15 - 18t).

I find the 'gear 5' annoying on flats and slight downhill. But find 'gear 6' very hard.

So is it possible to do this.

Keep current crank, remove rear derailleur, Keep current chain and add the setup?

Or will I have to buy another chain?

thanks

drubie

Re: Temporary SS my MTB

Postby drubie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:41 pm

Chain width should be no problem with most SS conversion kits (i.e. the cheap one from cyclingdeal for example works fine with an 8 speed chain).

Chain length however...a derailleur setup requires a super long chain in comparison to any single speed setup. Unless you're prepared to re-join the long section you have to take out to make it work, it's not worth it. Chains are pretty cheap:

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/fixie ... hain/MK747

Conversion kit is pretty cheap:
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/conve ... oner/FK-01

I used the cyclingdeal kit and it's pretty good, although I ended up not needing the tensioner by luck more than anything.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:55 pm

I thought I read up enough,

And purchased a black kmc single speed chain. I also purchased this conversion kit.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Conversion-K ... 764wt_1393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope I didn't make the mistake by not getting the one with the tensioner. What exactly does it do, And also, How do i know how to measure the chain correctly?

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:04 am

Hard to say for sure if you'll need a tensioner
They work by way of a spring loaded arm with a small cog on the end and they do as the name suggests, keep tension on the chain so it doesn't jump off from being too loose
It takes up the slack left from when you remove the derailleur

You may need a tensioner or if you're lucky (like 'drubie') you may find that the combination of chainwheel/rear cog size and removing the right amount of chain-links, leaves the chain with just the right tension without the need for a tensioner

If you don't already own one, invest in a chain-breaker tool, which are relatively cheap...you don't really need to do measurements for the chain length so much as experiment by removing or adding links to get the required length...while this isn't going to help you now that you've already purchased a chain but, half-link chains often help get that chain tension just right
If you do end up need a tensioner, any decent bike shop should be able to sell you one by itself without needing to by a whole new SS kit

With the spacers in that kit you should be able to get a good chain-line at least

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:22 am

The cyclingdeal kit tensioner isn't spring loaded, it's locked in place by the quick release and a bolt that goes into the derailleur hanger - getting the chain tension right with it was a little tricky.

Getting the chain length right will change depending on whether you have a tensioner or not - it's easier with the tensioner. Just wrap the chain around your preferred front chain ring and the cog at the back, double check the chain line is as straight as you can get it (important to stop the chain skipping off). If the chain line isn't straight, shuffle your spacers around until it looks straight.

Once you've got that, pull the chain as tight as you can and eyeball which chain link will give you the closest tension. If you are using a tensioner, put it about 1/3rd into it's travel before doing that part. Once you're happy enough the the chain length, split the chain and rejoin it at the right length on the bike. Adjust the tensioner to take up the inevitable little bit of slack.

It's important to get the chain line right before you do any of that though.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Thanks for that guys, I might cancel my order and buy one with a tensioner.

Matt

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:09 pm

Just converted my HT MTB to SS. Missed out getting the chain around by millimetres. An old chain with a bit of stretch probably would have done it. Tensioner went on :(
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:59 pm

bychosis wrote:Just converted my HT MTB to SS. Missed out getting the chain around by millimetres. An old chain with a bit of stretch probably would have done it. Tensioner went on :(
Waiting for my kit & tensioner to arrive.
My understanding is ther chain goes under the tensioner?

How tight do i want it to be?
:)

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:39 am

Depends what kind you got.

Mostly on top of chain:

Some go under though:

I reckon the first image shows a good tension. Any looser and you can bounce the chain off the tensioner.

Jim

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 pm

I have one like the first image, don't think it holds the tension too well, but it's only 2short rides old so far.

The angle of the tensioner will depend on the amount of chain slack you need to take up. Mine is nearing the limit of the tensioner and looks like the first pic as the chain was only just too short, then I added another link making it quite long. I remember the old school 1" of movement in the chain is the correct tension for a SS drivetrain. Not sure if that still holds true, I just tension it so there is very little movement when possible.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Mine was the same type as pic 1. I really cranked it around, and it held well. You'd be surprised how far they can twist.

Jim

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 am

Mine arrived,
Looks like the 3rd picture.

I was so excited to finish the build,

then I realised. I had bought a 96 link chain ;(

$15 later, I have bought a 116 link chain off ebay.

Hopefully it turns up soon.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:25 pm

I did my mtb about 2 weeks ago