Transurethral resection of the prostate

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
greyhoundtom

Re: Transurethral resection of the prostate

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 am

OldNick wrote:No expert, but isn't DVT supposed to be a bad "bad thing"? I would be asking to see another doctor at the hospital, or get your GP to arrange something more useful. Maybe your guy does not consider anything serious unless it's dangling and bleeding a lot. Sounds wrong. from what little I know, clots below the knee are not considered as bad now, but above the knee are still thought pretty serious.

BTW reading the thread I just think "bugger me! What more?" Hope it all gets fixed ASAP.

Nick
Hi Nick,

While from everything I've read about DVT it is a problem that can become dangerous quickly.
However the spanner in the works in regard to starting the DVT treatment immediately was the kidney stone removal procedure I was booked in for yesterday as this would have been cancelled.

At least that has been done now, and while there still is a lot of blood in the urine this should clear up in a couple of days, and then if not DVT treatment immediately at least I should be able to start taking aspirin again.

Unfortunately the warfarin treatment used for DVT would more than likely keep me off the bike, and from what I have been told may last as long as 12 months.

My plan is to double up on the aspirin no warfarin and getting back on the bike, but I will have to see what my GP thinks about all that.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:53 am

Tim wrote:Thanks for the offer Tom. I'm due down in Melbourne again mid-late November. Been doing there-and-back in a day trips recently. It's a big day. Next time I'll stay overnight at my brother and his family's place, break the trip up a bit. In which case a stop on the way home for a cuppa wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks.
I'll be in touch.
How'd the day out for you and the GLW go?
Hi Tim,

All good mate just let me know when. :D

The day out went good, lunch was excellent, and she had a great time.........which got better when we arrived home as unbeknownst to her my daughter and grand kids had come over from Tassie for her birthday (that was a difficult secret to keep), and were waiting there when we arrived back after lunch at the Boat House.

So yeah I'm pretty sure she had a great birthday. :D :D

OldNick

Postby OldNick » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:15 pm

AH OK. So the Dr may have made a good judgment call.

Heck I hope your talk with the GP goes well, but tread _really_ carefully mate! Riding may be important, but......riding is going to concentrate stress on just the areas where you are having the most grief.

Nick

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:41 am

Just an update.........

As mentioned before I went and had an eight mm stone blasted with the laser.........and because it was done early in the afternoon I was home again that night.

They also put in a stent at the kidney end.

All good.

So I thought.

I had no idea that a stent could cause that much trouble, pain, and bleeding........bugger.
Finished up with a kidney and UT infection that took three lots of antibiotics to sort out.

Anyway had the stent out yesterday after it having been in there for just over four weeks, and while having that removed was extremely uncomfortable because it was apparently left in too long and had calcified, right now I feel absolutely brilliant.....no pain :D

Just have to get the DVT sorted and I will be back on the bike......... yahoo :D :D

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:37 am

Great news. My stint was uncomfortable 90% of the time and downright excruciating 5% of the time. It sometimes for no good reason felt like someone was stabbing me down there sometimes and I would involuntary gasp and go white as a sheet. I freaked out some clients and subbies in a few meetings, I can laugh about it now :lol: .

Its a fantastic feeling waking up from the procedure to get it out. And walking and sitting without the expectation of pain takes a while to get used to. It took me ages to stop gingerly easing myself down onto seats. The other thing I didn't realise at the time was how grumpy it made me feel. Looking back at photos I can see I just wasn't happy.

Good luck with the DVT.
Tom

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Good to hear mate!

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 pm

So did they warfarinise u for your DVT?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Sure it was a DVT? DVT is a specific venous condition involving the deep venous system (hence Deep Venous Thrombosis). Given your description, it sounded more like a superficial thrombophlebitis i.e. A local thrombosis of the superficial vein with inflammation. There's some overlap in the treatment protocol but also differences, along with potential complications.

Good luck with the treatment for both this and your renal calculi. I feel your pains! A pain that approaches child birth pain in women, but you'll only give birth to some multi-coloured gravels. :x
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Unfortunately it is DVT as diagnosed by doppler ultrasound, luckily the main blockage is below the knee......it’s just that my GP did not want to start treatment until the bleeding from urinary tract had stopped.

I expect the ten days of Heparin injections to start early next week, and then some time on Warfarin.

But every thing is brilliant.......... I have been pain free for four days now and it feels great .......and believe you me it’s the happiest I have been for six months. :D :D :D

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Hopefully this will be my last post on this subject.

30 days of injecting myself every day under the skin over the stomach with Clexane to help dissolve the blood clots in my legs, and this morning I got the all clear from my GP. :D

You bloody beauty I’m back in business. :D :D :D

The bike is now fitted to the Elite Volare Fluid Trainer I purchased of adrian_d before Christmas at a very good price (thanks Adrian), and starting tomorrow it will be 20 minutes morning and night and building up from that untill I’m back fighting fit again.

I just can’t get that big grin off my face. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Tom

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:43 pm

YeeHaa. Best news I've had all day!!!

Back in the saddle after any illness break is the sweetest pain there is.

Have a ball.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Very good to hear mate! :D

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 pm

8) 8) 8)

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Great news :D
Tom

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate your thoughts. :D

Have discovered that my fitness is worse than I’d hoped it would be as 25 minutes on the trainer once a day is about all I can handle at the moment.

With off course a 5 second go berserk as hard as you can at the end of it, just to get some of the frustration out of the system. :wink: