Giving way

Dez

Giving way

Postby Dez » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 am

I am just wondering what everyon'e thoughts are on giving way to other cyclists.

Say you come to a T-junction, your road is terminating and you want to go left. You look to the right and see another cyclist coming at a decent rate and if it was a larger vehicle you would most certainly be in for a good squishing. Do you pull out, knowing that the cyclist is alert and agile enough to go around you, or do you wait, even if it means having to unclip your shoes?

I had two different people pull out on me this morning, and while it is not a huge issue I just wanted to know what is the ettiquette in people's minds.

Aushiker

Re: Giving way

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:08 pm

Not a matter of ettiquette to me; simply a matter of law. Last time I checked the Road Traffic regulations applies to cyclists as much as they apply to all other road users.

Andrew

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Aushiker wrote:Not a matter of ettiquette to me; simply a matter of law. Last time I checked the Road Traffic regulations applies to cyclists as much as they apply to all other road users.

Andrew
+1

I'd never rely on another cyclist any more than I'd rely on another motorist.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Dez wrote:I had two different people pull out on me this morning, and while it is not a huge issue I just wanted to know what is the ettiquette in people's minds.
Perhaps they just didn't see you... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jlh

Postby jlh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Also often on the PSP there are lines clearly marking who needs to give way, etc.

Dez

Postby Dez » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 pm

RonK wrote: Perhaps they just didn't see you... :roll: :roll: :roll:
They both had a good glance at my fine flourescent attire and blatantly pulled out anyway.

One incident was on the road, another on a PSP. It did cross my mind to say a few words, or dish out a 'don't argue', but I didn't want to ruin what was an otherwise fantastic morning for cycling.

Cheers for your replies!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Some annunciation of presence by honk of the horn (or tingle of your bell) as you pass to let them know you're not just an effigy of their guardian angel waving them through.

My favourite is people's lack of physics i.e. time, space and mathematics.
Popping out from a blind spot path at 7-10m/s into a road, covering a lane's width in less than their reaction time alone, with no clue if/what is in that space of road at the same time.
I was about 15m behind 2 riders who received the experience on the down/uphill surprise jack-in-box popout cyclist inot the path entry halfway between Karrinyup Rd. and southern flyover, a cycling mum carrying speed, she had good vision of the 10m or so width of path on her approach, however resulting in 3metres from collision a second later as first of the two riders who had enough time to swerve into oncoming traffic (fortunately none).
I slowed to describe the situation in as polite (possibly retarded sounding) way as possible because it seemed like it's a local route for that time of day, which she said "I turn off here" as I went up the flyover.

Perhaps a "gidday" if you're feeling glass half full they might at least not abuse you and you help educate and give them something to think about without getting adversarial. (must be glass half full for me with storms keeping everyone away today =D