Permission granted. $2600 Firm

Wakatuki

Permission granted. $2600 Firm

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Guys/ Ladies,
Tax return arrived today. GLW has agreed $2600 top spend not a cent more.

You may have seen my other post 12 yrs out of saddle rebuild or new?

Well I figure I would like a more "endurance" bike. Vfm as important as ride.

3 on short list: your thoughts welcome, input wanted.
1. Scott cr1 team replica edition
2. Specilized roubaix (not sure on models)
3. Giant advanced or defy (would you take giant above other 2)
4. (Wildcard) shop has Scott addict r15 demo in price too.

Will be touring, locally and on hols. But not taking tents etc just day trips.
More about the ride than race. But would like to mix it it up on a club social level too.

Purchase will come after ride, 2 ish weeks before cash hits counter!
Thanks in advance.

phillby85

Re: Permission granted. $2600 Firm

Postby phillby85 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:31 pm

im not sure how set on those brands you are....
however i was just at a local shop looking at Trek carbon bikes, both madone and domane in the 4 series fit in that price.
the domane is super comfy depends on geometry requirements. Enjoy it though shopping around is fun!

zebedee

Postby zebedee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:16 am

i bought a roubaix SL2 about 18 months ago, put an average 250km/week into her. not a bit of trouble. with your budget you should be able to get a decent wheel upgrade too.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:52 am

The Giant Defy will suit you better than the TCR for your use. I love my Defy I would recommend you towards that, but I'm sure you'll like all of the bikes you've mentioned

Fixie82

Postby Fixie82 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:04 pm

As you have two weeks before the cash starts burning a hole in your pocket I would start doing a lot of test rides, bike fit and handling characteristics in my opinion will have more to do with comfort than built in flex points and other frame acronyms. Yes a taller head tube and slacker headtube angle will put you in a more upright position but this may not be the most comfortable for you, or it may not inspire you to ride as it dulls the handling and responsiveness of the bike. Find out or determine what you want the bike to feel like when you ride and go from there, it will help narrow the selection down. For example the Scott Addict is an amazing bike, an out and out race machine with stiffness galore. Not known as the most comfortable bike to ride, a riding buddy of mine has no complaints on long 5+ hour rides on his. It fits him and he loves riding it, he probably wouldn't have the same love of something like a Roubaix. He does fit 25mm tyres for longer rides and runs lower pressure, which he believes has a bigger impact on a bike comfort levels.

Moral of the story is get something you love riding, make sure you love the look of it and get it fitted. Or better yet go and get measured up and use that to rule out or in models based on size before you go test riding. Any bike will be comfortable if you are in the right position.

Of the bikes you mentioned they will all be great, the CR1 and Addict are fantastic but both are pretty race orientated. Will be able to build them into very light bikes, the CR1 especially is almost at Cult status. Very much the same as the Roubaix although it just doesn't do it for me visually (which is not to say others don't love it. All Giants are good bikes and usually on sale too :)

One left of field option would be the Jamis Eclipse - it has a Reynold 853 steel frame, ultegra/FSA drivetrain and American Classic 420 wheelset. Stunning bike. You will get a great 'springy' and comfortable ride out of the steel frame but still be able to get out for a fast lap if you wish to. This is on my wish list and you should be able to find old stock in your price range.

Good luck and happy hunting

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:49 pm

If you can find a new Roubaix for $2600 will you please tell me where? Thanks.

Roubaix's all seem to be compact, which may swing your vote. Wouldn't swing mine unless I wasn't going to be climbing on it. Reportedly a nice all day ride. Never owned one, would certainly test if I was in the market.

Jim

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Great responses,
Had a drive around and avoided scott on purpose so i could focus different ideas.
Spotted a giant defy3 2012 full 105 $2k my size in full 105, free pedals and $50 off some shoes. They had a defy 1, I think, full ultegra $2999 no negotiations until the chips are down. Has to be worth no more than another $500 IMO or am I wrong?

Went to see the speccy Roubaix sport, shop owner completely dismissed the Scott as not in the same bracket , $2300 upgraded to full 105, and dt Swiss wheel set. Hated the look of it. What's with all the curves :shock:

Have to wonder if I'm getting all sucked up into the cr1 hype. The giants looked and felt great, the shop was good the price better.

Will test drive the Scott and giant back to back in two weeks time! No time off next week:(.
Any more food for thought?
And those local to me, climbed the hunchy rd today. I really need brakes! Is it ok to high five yourself?

Thanks,
Alistair

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:17 pm

I love the Scott CR1. Don't own one, bet a very nice ride.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Wakatuki wrote: Went to see the speccy Roubaix sport, shop owner completely dismissed the Scott as not in the same bracket , $2300 upgraded to full 105, and dt Swiss wheel set. Hated the look of it. What's with all the curves :shock:
Hated the look of the Roubaix? They're meant to be an all day bump-soaker, hence the geo and curves I think. I forgot all about the Elite and Sport, of course they're sub-$2600 :oops:
Wakatuki wrote: Any more food for thought?
MS C6? They changed the geometry last frame update, haven't ridden one yet. Previous model has taller head tube which makes it a little more comfortable.

Like others said, the CR1's are not exactly comfort-oriented. You can tune them to a degree, but a Defy or Roubaix will be a better baseline start for a long-day rider.

Test ride, test ride, test ride.
Wakatuki wrote: And those local to me, climbed the hunchy rd today. I really need brakes! Is it ok to high five yourself?
If nobody else is handy, yes.

Jim

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Will test drive the Scott and giant back to back
:shock: IIRC The Giant has alloy dropouts (the 2011 model does anyway), so you should be able to mount it on most roof-racks.

FWIW, the stock Giant wheels are made by DT swiss, and are lighter than the axis that come with the spesh. IMO both The CR1 and the defy are more race bikes with an upright geometry, but the Roubaix is more of a lounge chair.

AlMac

Postby AlMac » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:45 pm

I've been very happy with my Giant Defy.

Great bike.

Need to go TCR if you want something more aggresive.

Test both one after the other.

On the Defy, you can always drop spacers out to lower the bars, but of course you can only go so low.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:11 pm

I did a test review of the CR-1 on my youtube channel. Great bike. Can't post it here though as youtube has advertisements on it.

I found it stiffer up front that the Scott Foil.

Best bet is just to test ride em all and then decide.
Vegan since 2001.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi,

Just noted an error in my post, it was the 2012 Giant Defy 3 Advanced that was $1999. or the Defy 1 2013 $2999, negotiations yet to happen.

Should I forget about the Ultegra? A grand extra !!!!
The 50/34 compact on both Giants and the 11-28 (the Scott 11-30 tiagra creeps in) seem no brainers around here, the wife rides a triple the smallest is 30-25 so I, theoretically, should have an easier time........ Well I do carry the extra water and all tools. :lol:

The appeal of the Scott is its potential Jekyll and Hyde nature being described. Cruiser yet racer combo.
This in a different realm is how I like my cars, I know you don't have to peddle but.. The ability to have a sprint/squirt be quick on the tarmac group flats and climb mountains at my own pace does have a certain appeal too.

Would a bike shop let you actually take a bike away after fitting (a shop demo) if you leave ID and a holding deposit, like a car dealership over night demo, it's only a fraction of the cost by comparison... anyone ever achieved this?

This is big money to me, I can't get it wrong.

Alistair

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:58 pm

durianrider wrote:I did a test review of the CR-1 on my youtube channel. Great bike. Can't post it here though as youtube has advertisements on it.

Hi watched your review on U tube, nice as all the frames are the same as i'm told just the components change.

You say stiffer than the foil upfront... Is that a bad thing?

This technology is all very new bought my last bike in 1989~! You chose Raleigh, Dawes or Claud Butler. I went Raleigh as I had no car to get to the other stores that were miles away. I lived in Nottingham, not buying a Raleigh was like supporting the wrong football team, TROUBLE!

I will be testing them both, pretty much narrowed to the Scott CR1 Team or a Giant Advanced.

*** UPDATE LBS just called Defy Advanced 1 (2013) (Ultegra) $2399. If place order before end november collect before Xmas. ****

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:08 pm

I smell a Giant factory backed Christmas sale... $2400 for an ultegra equipped bike is quite good. Provided you can get it to fit you and you like the colour, the spec is very good for that price. A direct comparison on spec between the Giant and the Scott suggests that the Giant is better value. It has better groupset, tyres, finishing kit etc. I'm a bit confused as to why Scott decided to go with a 31.6mm seatpost for the CR-1, seems like an odd choice for a comfort/endurance bike IMO

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Wakatuki wrote:
durianrider wrote:I did a test review of the CR-1 on my youtube channel. Great bike. Can't post it here though as youtube has advertisements on it.

Hi watched your review on U tube, nice as all the frames are the same as i'm told just the components change.

You say stiffer than the foil upfront... Is that a bad thing?

This technology is all very new bought my last bike in 1989~! You chose Raleigh, Dawes or Claud Butler. I went Raleigh as I had no car to get to the other stores that were miles away. I lived in Nottingham, not buying a Raleigh was like supporting the wrong football team, TROUBLE!

I will be testing them both, pretty much narrowed to the Scott CR1 Team or a Giant Advanced.

*** UPDATE LBS just called Defy Advanced 1 (2013) (Ultegra) $2399. If place order before end november collect before Xmas. ****
Consider me a little biased .... but I've just clicked over 1,600kms on my Defy

Couldn't be happier :D

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:25 am

Very happy with my Defy, was going to go TCR but the 50/34 & 11-28 is much better suited to my skill level.

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

sb944

Postby sb944 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:57 am

I like the look of the curves on the Roubaix. I believe the theory is that vibrations travel better up straight lines, so they put a lot of curves, and that insert thing to reduce as much road vibration before reaching you. As an example, you are told to bend your arms a little when riding to stop the vibrations impacting the upper body as much, which will wear you out on a long ride. I can't say how well it works personally, as I never rode one, but I know people that swear by Roubaix for comfortable riding.

But realistically, the bikes you are looking at are all likely to be fine. If you can still find runout models, or get a good deal, try to put some money aside for a proper fit and potential other adjustment costs (ie shoe arches, shims etc). They will properly measure you up, but should also take your physical problems (ie longer leg) and flexibility into account for how the bike is setup.

The other thing to keep in mind is manufacturers often skimp on certain things like wheelsets and saddles, almost to the point of saying it's up to the customer to upgrade them to get a good setup. Financially, you are probably better off working with the wheelset you get (future upgrade), but have a think about setting some money aside for a saddle, as this will be very important to you on longer rides.

Fixie82

Postby Fixie82 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:26 pm

The Defy is a great looking bike at a great price, but does it FIT? I am in between sizes with Giant and find the large slightly too big and the medium slightly too small. It just means I can never seem to get truly comfortable on either their road or mtb bikes. Its a pity as I really like the TCR bikes (especially with the Ultegra Di2).

This must seem like I work for Jamis (which I don't, I don't even own one) but one of my regular riding partners has just bought this http://www.this link is broken/Jamis-Xenith-Pro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at a fantastic price for Ultegra Di2. Very classy looking steed, nice finishing kit, only real concessions seem to be the saddle and wheelset, however the wheels would be great training hoops. Solid and dependable. Di2 on a name brand frame at that price is mighty tempting, you would have trouble buying the full groupset for that price.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Fixie they do a m/l as well :) Well on the advanced no sure about the defy.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:38 pm

TCR > Defy as you will be pushing less wind. So long as you do not want to mount racks it is all good.

My TCR is very comfy and you can unslam the stem if you are not racing.

As was mentioned about Giant do their factory backed sale which is 20% off. There are still Giant TCR Advanced 0 (2012) bikes around, not sure where you live, and they are $2,800 and probably cheaper if you haggle. Ultegra Di2 :D

JM

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Sydguy wrote:TCR > Defy as you will be pushing less wind. So long as you do not want to mount racks it is all good.

My TCR is very comfy and you can unslam the stem if you are not racing.
If you unslam the stem you might as well be riding a defy with a slammed stem...

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the continued input,

Trying to set up a ride for a Scott CR1, LBS is going to borrow a customer's bike for me. None in my size and apparently only 4 in Aus. I have been visually measured up and a 58cm is the go on the Scott the full measure and fit on purchase. Giant are yet to measure me up but think a m/l and a really high saddle combo! 99bikes was happy to measure up. I was happy to let them. But none of their measurements are standard bike as far as I can figure. :?
all in mm
cc to seat stem not clamp 572
cc to top of seat! 807
Center of seat to front of stem 747
Crank length 175
Can't get the image onto the net will try when I get home.
I have regular legs and a long back.

two local giant dealers, plenty to test.

Fixie82

Postby Fixie82 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Marty Moose - thanks but those are the sizes I am in between of, slightly too small toptube and a massive seat post extension on the M, slightly too long in the M/L. It just means there would be too much compromise to get in my position on both bikes, especially when there are comparably priced and performing models that fit me better.

Its not for a lack of liking the Giants.

Also agree that if you unlsam the TCR you may as well be riding the Defy.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Thats a shame fixie82, I read somewhere that Giant Defy could also fill in the gaps for people caught in between the TCR sizing... Looks like your caught inbetween all of them.

@Wakatuki;
I'll be interested to see how the Giant dealer measures you up, those numbers just don't look right to me