I might of found a good bike!!! CAMPAG!

framefinder

I might of found a good bike!!! CAMPAG!

Postby framefinder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:44 pm

a closer look at this bike I found could be a campagnolo de rosa, it looks very similar, or a Record, it has a "r" e or o on the other side and the rest is rubbed off.
either way is this bike worth $1000s?????
has durace and 600 on it, rear campagnolo wheel, cassette and hub.
newer shimano front wheel.

ironhanglider

Re: I might of found a good bike!!! CAMPAG!

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:04 pm

framefinder wrote:a closer look at this bike I found could be a campagnolo de rosa, it looks very similar, or a Record, it has a "r" e or o on the other side and the rest is rubbed off.
either way is this bike worth $1000s?????
has durace and 600 on it, rear campagnolo wheel, cassette and hub.
newer shimano front wheel.
The Retro Biking section is where you want to be with this.

The frame has been built with Campag horizontal dropouts. It is a worthwhile sign of quality, but $1000's is highly unlikely. The cheap hex nuts without washers are less of a good sign, almost all bikes with these dropouts would have had QR hubs. Was it some sort of fixie or SS conversion?

Given the general vintage of these dropouts I'd guess that the OLD was 126mm, which has potential to be used with modern 130mm wheels (with a squeeze). I'd treat it as a collection of bits at the moment. Some of which may be re-used to make a functional bike.

Cheers,

Cameron

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:14 pm

What he said. Post pics of the whole bike, that will be much more informative.

Jim

rollin

Postby rollin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Possibly 10's of thousands....

munga

Postby munga » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:44 pm

the dura-ace cranks are probably worth as much as the rest of the bike.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:08 am

^ what he said - a few $ in the arabesque bits, too. Crack out the autosol...

framefinder

Postby framefinder » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Went for 1100 on gum tree after 40 minutes it was a de rosa what ever that means

munga

Postby munga » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:12 pm

wow! have you got any other pics of the de rosa?

only asking, because i can't see anything on the pics in your photobucket that tells me it's a de rosa. would love to learn more!

personally i think you got really lucky and some fool just paid a tonne for a cheap bike.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:27 pm

munga wrote:wow! have you got any other pics of the de rosa? only asking, because i can't see anything on the pics in your photobucket that tells me it's a de rosa. would love to learn more! personally i think you got really lucky and some fool just paid a tonne for a cheap bike.

first up should the OP be around still, Campagnolo have never made a frame, they make parts. Now can anyone tell me why that frame was worth much at all? there are complete De Rosa's around in nice condition for more than half the claimed sale price? :?
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:34 pm

I agree with both of the above posts - I can't see anything in the photos that leads me to believe its a De Rosa - for example, no pantographs on the seat stays or the fork crown, etc.

Nonetheless, if someone was happy to pay $1000 for it, then good on the OP. Although I suspect that may have been a typo.

As mentioned earlier, there is some value in the dura-ace and arabesque bits, if nothing else. So, to return to the OP, he may just have found a good (parts) bike!!! (with some) CAMPAG! (on it).

framefinder

Postby framefinder » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:14 pm

The campag wheel with cassette is worth atleast 350, the dura ace cranks are 50, frame 200-300, bars headset and stem 100, dura ace seat post and brooks saddle 100, front shimand wheel 50, shimand 600 brakes and gears 100, dura ace pedals 50, about right if your looking to buy a nice vintage road bike, it's got some history that helped sell it also.

framefinder

Postby framefinder » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Greg Williams owned it. Footy player.

xcx

Postby xcx » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Wow, can we see pics of the whole bike? 1100 in the current market is quite a coup. Either you had a really nice bike or someone paid over the odds.

Your prices are a little off. I very much doubt the rear wheel was worth at least 350.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:28 pm

framefinder wrote:The campag wheel with cassette is worth atleast 350, the dura ace cranks are 50, frame 200-300, bars headset and stem 100, dura ace seat post and brooks saddle 100, front shimand wheel 50, shimand 600 brakes and gears 100, dura ace pedals 50, about right if your looking to buy a nice vintage road bike, it's got some history that helped sell it also.
By the sounds of this, you no longer need the assistance of the collective community here to identify & price frames and components. Congratulations on getting up to speed so quickly.
framefinder wrote:Greg Williams owned it. Footy player.
Does Greg Williams (Footy player) have a photo of the complete bike we can see?

munga

Postby munga » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:38 pm

guys, it sounds like a bunch of you don't believe the guy.

give him a break. if he got 1100 for it, he got 100 for it. if he hasn't got a pic, or a link to his gumtree ad, so be it.

framefinder, it sounds like you got lucky. i could break up one of my bikes and tell people what parts are worth, but there's no way i'd get that price for a complete bike. well done.
however, i think it's pretty rude to come in here asking a lot of questions, and not give any of us the opportunity to at least make an offer on your bike.

sunho

Postby sunho » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Guys, there is another thread about the same bike, check through his posts: "Colnago Real or Fake??????"

I like the greenblue colour, shimano 600 too

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Got a Ferrari to sell you then...

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 pm

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 am

The frustrating thing is that there isn't a photo of the whole bike to be found anywhere. This gives us very little to go off, except a few hints.

Obviously, some smarty has stuck some Colnago stickers on it. I'm doubtful that it's a De Rosa as well...

Why can't we see a photo of the whole bike? What do you have to hide?

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:10 pm

In the meantime, here's a picture and some light reading on Greg Williams (footy player).

And of Greg Williams' (footy player) Ferrari. May or may not be the Ferrari of Greg Williams (footy player).

rollin

Postby rollin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:58 pm

At $1100 the buyer must have been an old change room hussy wanting to sniff greg Williams old seat!

framefinder

Postby framefinder » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:46 pm

some people don't see much money by the sounds, todays market is stronger than ever just look at completed listing on vintage bikes, bought the bike off gregs mum, claiming he trained in the off season on it in bendigo, it was painted by his father in the 90s that was trying to sell it at a garage sale, I advertised it for 1500 and the buyer offered 900, I got him to 1100 after I told him it was gregs at one point, there is 1100 worth of bike even not knowing what it is, if not worth 200 what does 70s vintage italian road bikes with high grade group sets go for these days??? from what I can see 1100 is cheap! I have to make a living from selling vintage goods, bikes were never a seller for me in my vintage shop, just the odd garden bike for 50 went. then I ran in to some old bmxs making me over 6000 in a month online. I was mostly furniture and industrial lighting but finding a couple of honey hole bike spots I started to enjoy digging for the good ones. I will continue to post my finds and I will put selling links up if the site lets me. gumtree link fails when I try. just remember that these bikes are getting harder to find and getting a lot more in demand.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Either you got lucky or there's a lot of stupid people out there. I would value it at less than half of what you got, so keep up the good work I guess..

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:42 pm

framefinder wrote:I will continue to post my finds and I will put selling links up if the site lets me. gumtree link fails when I try.
The site will let you, there's a MARKETPLACE section. Only takes one minute to read the RULES!! :) My guess is that promoting your Gumtree ads falls into the same hole as promoting eBay listings - same company - someone else may clarify???? It's been hinted at already but perhaps somebody needs to SPELL IT OUT!!!!; the tacit understanding on many forums is that they are for sharing, i.e. GIVING and TAKING!!??!!. Sucking up as much free INFORMATION! as one possibly can to unapologetically feather one's own nest seems to be a great strategy for being IGNORED!!!!!!!!!!.

!!!!!!! It's just bad KARMA to mate

framefinder

Postby framefinder » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:30 am

pffft, I didnt try and sell it here, I tried to prove my ad and sales price, my post was for info! I struggled to get any info at all here, I figured that you kids didnt value the bike and could find these bikes in hard rubbish and garage sales one the way to school. I needed a buyer that lived in the days the bike was disired. I find old things for a day job its all worth what somneone pays for it, where do you buy vintage italian road bikes cheap? I want get some of these $100 ones everyone is getting??? I will let you guys get back to ben 10 now. I have a bike to post and more to find.
:lol: