Best place to live in oz for cycling

jacob_T

Re: Best place to live in oz for cycling

Postby jacob_T » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 pm

BarryTas wrote:Hobart - TAS, it's the nations best kept secret

I'll put in a vote for Hobart too.

I was down there about a week ago and got to go for a little spin. Great roads and lots of brilliant scenery!
Can't wait to get back down there with my bike again.

Admittedly, I would imagine winters would be pretty tough!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:22 pm

usernameforme wrote:and when it rains in Adelaide it only rains on your side of the road :evil:
I remember that...

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Having ridden in Sydney and Brisbane, I'd say Brisbane fits better. Despite what locals might say the traffic is fine (it is a case of perspective!), the roads good, and the ride options excellent.

I know it is outside of your search area but I rode around Wellington in NZ last year. There is a 30 km flat loop around the Bay's that has no traffic lights until you hit the CBD as it starts on the City fringe. MTB trails are 5 minutes from the CBD and there are even more within 10 minutes of the CBD. The major factor is the somewhat appalling weather Wellington has. Coffee-wise, if you think Melbourne is good then try Wellington!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:20 pm

il padrone wrote: Bendigo for a bigger city with great cycling.
Can confirm that. Bunch rides any day of the week.
Sometimes with Aussie and international champions. :)
Good quiet roads with fast flat sections, rolling hills and climbs. Velodrome, vets and cycling Aust clubs.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

TDC

Postby TDC » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm

jimboss wrote:
jasonc wrote: Adelaide - crap weather. good mix of roads. probably Australia's worst drivers
too hot for you?

I like Adelaide a lot. In the city, traffic is pretty much non-existent. Loads of amazing climbs within 20km of the CBD. Heck, you can go do a climb, cross the city then come back down to the coast all in one ride. I'd say it'd be hard to come close to what we've got.

And for the commuter, unless you're in the hills it's pretty flat. Singlespeed-able almost anywhere for sure.
ha...its the constant headwind that follows you no matter what direction you seem to be riding. (well its felt like that the last few days) :lol:

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:31 pm

warthog1 wrote:
il padrone wrote: Bendigo for a bigger city with great cycling.
Can confirm that. Bunch rides any day of the week.
Sometimes with Aussie and international champions. :)
Good quiet roads with fast flat sections, rolling hills and climbs. Velodrome, vets and cycling Aust clubs.
I'd echo all that... but for Ballarat.

I wasn't going to post, because in these threads everybody just says "where I live" (or "the brand I ride" or "the operating system I use" or "the church my family goes to"), and in perspective, Ballarat misses out a bit on truly epic climbs - although I can roll out my front gate (at ~460m elevation) and be up one of our two 750m mountains after 13km of near continuous climbing [1], most of which is on quiet rural roads. And that's something we have in spades - quiet rural roads. Forest or farmland, with or without hills, as you prefer. When I duck out for a quick road ride, I'm out of town within a few km.

Road, track and MTB racing (short-course) every week in summer and at least once a month throughout the year, multiple bunch rides every day of the week [2], endless (and quietly increasing) singletrack to get lost in. And big national/international grade road racing to watch a couple of times a year (Buninyong is almost an outer suburb of Ballarat).

I've lived in Sydney, Melbourne and Ballarat... and there's really no comparison. Ballarat's the pick for cycling. To be honest, I reckon any smaller city would be a big improvement over a capital city.

tim

[1] I present as exhibit A, one night after the kids were in bed:
That's gotta be better than sitting on the couch watching TV ;-)
[2] I once thought I'd been stood up by an acquaintance who talked me into coming along on a bunch ride on a Saturday morning, until half way around I figured out that I'd joined the wrong bunch... rolling out at the same time from a _different_ corner on the same street. Easy mistake to make.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 pm

goneriding wrote:Having ridden in Sydney and Brisbane, I'd say Brisbane fits better. Despite what locals might say the traffic is fine (it is a case of perspective!), the roads good, and the ride options excellent.

I know it is outside of your search area but I rode around Wellington in NZ last year. There is a 30 km flat loop around the Bay's that has no traffic lights until you hit the CBD as it starts on the City fringe. MTB trails are 5 minutes from the CBD and there are even more within 10 minutes of the CBD. The major factor is the somewhat appalling weather Wellington has. Coffee-wise, if you think Melbourne is good then try Wellington!
LOL (AT) Wellington - Local radio station called Radio Windy. Nothing to beat it on a nice day anywhere IMHO.
But how many nice days in a year? Thats one weather filthy place - I spent a few years there.
Fabulous place during the summer month (Feb) and the scenery is great. Wind surfing capitol of the south pacific. Brrrrrrr :shock:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Roadie

Postby Roadie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Well thats an interesting lot of replies. I guess most people on this forum live in cities so its no wonder most people vote for a city. I spent too many years living in sydney and adelaide and wouldn't live in either again or any big city unless it became more like amsterdam. Lots more bikes, lots less cars. Good food for thought though. Thanks everyone.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 pm

barefoot wrote:... I can roll out my front gate (at ~460m elevation) and be up one of our two 750m mountains after 13km of near continuous climbing...
I mean... one of our two 750m volcanos.

Sounds so much cooler.

"What did you watch on telly last night"?
"Nothing. I went out in the dark and rode my bicycle up a freakin' volcano"!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

tim

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Roadie wrote:wouldn't live in either again or any big city unless it became more like amsterdam. Lots more bikes, lots less cars.
That's why I suggested inner northern suburbs of Melbourne - getting more like Amsterdam every year.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:01 am

human909 wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:In NSW...Coonabarabran; Orange/Bathurst; Broken Hill; Tumut.
In Victoria...Sunraysia region; Horsham/The Grampians.
In SA...northern Adelaide Hills; Melrose; Flinders Ranges.
In QLD...Carnarvon Ranges (but there's nowhere much to live around there!); Mt Isa.
In NT...Alice Springs
In WA...Wyndham; Tom Price; Denmark; Esperance.

...and many thousands of other lovely communities besides
:shock: You clearly have a totally differ idea of what is good for cycling than myself and the majority of people!

I am with Il Padrone, the inner north of Melbourne is the best place for cycling in Australia. Judging by the popularity of cycling many people agree. I would consider Horsham and the Grampians as not conducive at all for cycling. Of course this is all opinion, each to their own. :wink:
You bet I do. I like the mix of road and off road. Essential for variety. You suckers in your cities have no sodding idea what you have/are/will always missed/missing out on... :D

As for Horsham not being conducive to cycling I reckon the local roadie crew might just disagree with you there http://www.horshamcycling.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and me with them
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:03 am

I won't claim it's the best place in Australia for biking, because I haven't lived in plenty of them. Here's why I like Hobart for biking though.

- Cat. 1/ Super category (depending on your classification system) climb on your doorstep
- Awesome mountain biking on a mix of purpose built and various other trails on your doorstep
- Superb scenic coastal rides with plenty of tasty pitstop options
- In comparison to the mainland traffic is practically non existent.

The catch is that cycling conditions here are often not for the faint of heart. Wind is very common, aside from a few select routes you are tackling hills and on occasion winter days can be a brutal struggle.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:19 pm

human909 wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:In NSW...Coonabarabran; Orange/Bathurst; Broken Hill; Tumut.
In Victoria...Sunraysia region; Horsham/The Grampians.
In SA...northern Adelaide Hills; Melrose; Flinders Ranges.
In QLD...Carnarvon Ranges (but there's nowhere much to live around there!); Mt Isa.
In NT...Alice Springs
In WA...Wyndham; Tom Price; Denmark; Esperance.

...and many thousands of other lovely communities besides
:shock: You clearly have a totally differ idea of what is good for cycling than myself and the majority of people!

I am with Il Padrone, the inner north of Melbourne is the best place for cycling in Australia. Judging by the popularity of cycling many people agree. I would consider Horsham and the Grampians as not conducive at all for cycling. Of course this is all opinion, each to their own. :wink:
+ 1 for Coona and surrounds the flinders is also hard to beat never done the rest

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:34 pm

I've cycled right through the Flinders Ranges. Yes it's nice country to cycle - wouldn't want to live there though (and especially not expect to commute anywhere by bike), it's a long way between drinks :o :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:03 pm

BarryTas wrote:Hobart - TAS, it's the nations best kept secret
Yep. And your present location of Townsville is close behind Hobart. You have all the flat roads you could ask for, Castle Hill in the middle of town for variety, Hervey range for a climb into another world, Paluma range, Mt Stuart, Pangola Park cafe between Woodstock and Giru, for your coffee stop, and much more.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm

jasonc wrote:Adelaide - crap weather. good mix of roads. probably Australia's worst drivers
Great weather... especially if u like the heat... maybe cool in winter, but generally dryer than most places... i dont mind cold... just dont like wet & cold!

Yourright on tho in terms of Adelaides driver.... WORST in Australia by some distance, rude, and some just nasty to boot...

Ross wrote:Adelaide is good to ride in as well as I found out last January for TDU. Planning to go back again for TDU this January as well.
TDU is a fantastic time in Adelaide... favourite time of the year, great riding following the tour, all manageable by bike...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:37 pm

On the basis that even if some nirvhana is "the best", if I am not there then what value do I get of it?

Therefore, the best place in oz for cycling is Perth. Where I am right now. If I was in Adelaide right now then it would have to be Adelaide. Anywhere else that I am not currently at can't be ridden by me at this time.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:52 pm

jasonc wrote:I've lived in 3 states so can say out of those (Vic, SA, QLD), I'd choose QLD everytime. I lived in the suburbs of the capital city in each

Melb - too flat. boring. have to go a long way out to find a climb, crap weather
Adelaide - crap weather. good mix of roads. probably Australia's worst drivers
Brisbane - good weather all year round. the wet season can be a challenge, but it's rare. decent mix of flats and climbs around. though decent climbs are further away.
Adelaide weather - crap? Adelaide is hot and dry and a fair wind. Otherwise described as a Mediteranean cllimate, ah la Greek islands, Los Angeles, Perth, etc.

Out of curiouslity where do you live? Oh, silly me, it seems to be Brisbane - warm yeah, probably never a cold winter. But also humid and rain every third day. I am sure that I would find Brisbane OK but at the same time I would certianly not be in a position where I could justifiably rate the weather in Adelaide, Greek Islands, Perth, California as crap.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:(Don't disappoint me and say Brisbane - warm yeah, probably never a cold winter. But also humid and rain every third day.)
And the drivers are terrible and have a hate for cyclists.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm

il padrone wrote:
Roadie wrote:wouldn't live in either again or any big city unless it became more like amsterdam. Lots more bikes, lots less cars.
That's why I suggested inner northern suburbs of Melbourne - getting more like Amsterdam every year.

But but but! They don't wear helmets in Holland!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 pm

skull wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:(Don't disappoint me and say Brisbane - warm yeah, probably never a cold winter. But also humid and rain every third day.)
And the drivers are terrible and have a hate for cyclists.
I wouldn't know. But if it is we probably could ignore that as a measure. On the basis that drivers hating motorists is a given in ALL cities. (So it seems anyway.)

skull

Postby skull » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 pm

I have lived and worked in:
Sydney
Brisbane
Townsville
Darwin
Melbourne
Hobart
Adelaide
ACT

Of all those Brisbane and Townsville IMO have been the most aggressive against cyclists.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 pm

You people are nuts. The OP specified "NOT a city".
You have officially become your parents.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:47 pm

New Zealand

skull

Postby skull » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 pm

toolonglegs wrote:New Zealand
Not France?

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2