cyclist hit whitfords ave

sarmy

cyclist hit whitfords ave

Postby sarmy » Sat May 31, 2008 5:38 pm

Family, cyclist hit by carsArticle from: PerthNowFont size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment Jon Bassett

May 31, 2008 08:00am
A FATHER walking with his two childen was hit by an out-of-control car as it careered into a fence on Bishopsgate Rd, Carlisle, at about 7.20pm last night.

The children were taken by ambulance to Princess Margaret Hospital for observation and the father to RPH with minor injuires.

Police interviewed the driver of the Subaru Liberty.

It is not know if charges will be laid.

Police are also investigating at hit-and-run crash after a cyclist was hit by a car on Whitfords Ave, Padbury at 8.40pm on Friday.

The 46-year-old cyclist was taken to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital by ambulance.

He was in a serious condition with a broken leg, arm and abdomen injuries.

His bicycle was hit from the rear by an older model, white Ford utility with a canopy.
It sped off from the crash.

The cyclist was riding in a cycling lane about 200m west of the Eddystone Ave intersection, police said.

Major Crash Snr Const Stuart Bird said glass at the site indicated the utility may now have broken headlights.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:03 am

G'day

Going by the ABC TV news last night it sounds like the driver swerved towards the bike, hit the bike and then swerved back to the right side of the ride and then drove off.

Not much on the ABC website, just this:
A 45-year-old cyclist was left in a critical condition after he was struck from behind by a white ute travelling along Whitfords Avenue on Friday.

Acting Sergeant Stuart Bird says the man has a broken leg, a broken arm and internal injuries.

Police believe the cyclist may have been dragged by the ute for some distance before it drove off.
Andrew

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:28 pm

There should be an annual ride of silence in Perth to highlight to everyone the unneccesary dangers that cyclists face.

There is a website called rideofsilence com , its done annualy in most capital cities of Australia except WA.

sarmy

Postby sarmy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:57 pm

during the past couple of weeks with increased aggression shown towards me on the road, im worried about safety and to increase my visibility especially from the side i have just ordered 3m tape for our bikes and to put on the rims so im visible from the side.

will have a look at the website tonight, sounds like a great idea.

Huff&Puff

Postby Huff&Puff » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:38 am

About 4 weeks ago on a Friday afternoon Howard Satler on 882AM talk back, the discussion started off about large groups of cyclists that take up the lanes a whole lane, the talkback turned in to agressive comments regarding cyclists on the road in general. I was incensed, as I felt that Howard was actually inciting motorists to be agressive towards cyclists. Some of the comments were that cyclist should learn the road rules & attend special cycling classes, should only ride on bike paths, should not be on the road, the old comment that bikes should be registered. The only person that called up with positive comments on cycling was Jim Krynem, but unfortunately he was totally out numbered by callers with negative & agressive comments, which fired Howard up all the more. I couldn't phone up as I was cycling home from work. I don't think it helps when radio anouncers incite agression in motorists. Did anyone else hear it? I would like to see laws changed so that if a cyclist is involved in an accident with a vehicle, the cyclists is automaticly in the right unless proved differently, the rules regarding cyclists on the roads promoted a lot more, more motorist education regarding the rights of cyclists especially when passing cyclists by giving them a minimum of 1 metre clearance. It is obvious that not too many motorists know what the rules are. Tougher penalties for motorists & cyclists that break those rules.
I hope they catch the motorists that hit the cyclist & throw the book at him or her.
:(
More people cycling.

sarmy

Postby sarmy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:00 am

i wish i had heard that, as i have 4 cyclists in my family. we all do the right thing. i would have been on that phone so fast. when cycling alone i signal so the cars know what im doing, keep in the shoulder if possible etc... yet on a ride alone last sunday i had a cyclist pass me, i was cycling in the ample cycle/shoulder lane and he was at least a metre into the car lane, closer to home i see a man cycling on the road that has no cycle lane (there was a very good footpath) with a baby seat with a young child on board followed by a child of about 10, he was all over the place yelling at the boy about glass on the road. it took all my self control not to yell at both these cyclists. these are the type of people that irritate motorists and cause those of us that do the right thing to be killed/injured by irate drivers.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:52 am

sarmy wrote: yet on a ride alone last sunday i had a cyclist pass me, i was cycling in the ample cycle/shoulder lane and he was at least a metre into the car lane,
Unless it was a signed bike lane or it was a dangerous manoeuvre in to the traffic, I am unclear as to what your concern is.

Cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast in most circumstances as long as they maintain a distance apart not in excess of 1.5 metres and they are allowed to pass another rider, just like any other road user.

Andrew

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:45 pm

Having riders ride two abreast in a vehicular traffic lane gives them the 'presence' of a 4 wheeled vehicle which should in theory make things safer for the cyclists, provided the car drivers don't get irrate about it because of their ignorance of the road rules concerning cyclists.

One of the things that I now do is to deliberately ride centre of traffic lane (when there is only one) when approaching (getting close to) a roundabout or traffic calming device such as a narrowing of the lane and/or a deviation in the line of travel.

This forces the car driver to:
a) not be tempted to race ahead of the cyclist to try and get through the road obstacle
b) even more dangerous, try and drive through the obstacle at the same time as the bike rider

Perry
Last edited by cavebear2 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:34 pm

Huff&Puff wrote:Some of the comments were that cyclist should learn the road rules & attend special cycling classes, should only ride on bike paths, should not be on the road, the old comment that bikes should be registered.
this is precious given that a recent study concluded that Perth drivers are the worst in Australia and consistently ignored the road rules.

sarmy

Postby sarmy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:49 pm

i am of the opinion that the cyclist that passed me well and truly was pushing his luck as i was behind him for about 10klms, the whole time cars had to change lanes to get around him when there was a very good shoulder to ride in.

i agree about taking lanes going thru some roundabouts.

i do the right thing as i want to come home to my family and ride again, it peeves me badly seeing cyclists and drivers not showing respect for each other.

exadios

Postby exadios » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:26 am

sarmy wrote:i am of the opinion that the cyclist that passed me well and truly was pushing his luck as i was behind him for about 10klms, the whole time cars had to change lanes to get around him when there was a very good shoulder to ride in.
Vehicles are required to change lanes to pass a bike that is in the left hand lane. That is, they "have to change lanes to get around them". That is the law.

Whether the bike should have been on the shoulder depends upon whether it is a bike lane or not. If it is then the bike must ride in it if it is reasonable to do so. Otherwise not.

cjmonke

Postby cjmonke » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:21 pm

it's all a bit shaky for my liking coz I live in Padbury and normally take whitfords ave to the beach and head south. fortunately I was away for the weekend otherwise it could've been me... :shock:

As for Howard Sattler I heard that. 6PR have done quite a bit of bike bashing in recent times. Unfortunately I was driving at the time but it got my blood boiling...

a few weeks ago I was riding down to Freo along West Coast Drive, as I approached the roundabout at Nth Bch Rd i moved into the lane to take control (as I always do otherwise some idiot tries to take me in the roundabout) For those that don't know, the approach to this intersection is raised and bricked on both sides to shape a curve into the roundabout. some idiot in 4WD tried to overtake me, went to the other side of the road and then bounced over the central brickwork into the roundabout.

I gave plenty of notice of my intentions, he came up some time after i moved into the road (I didn't cut him off) and I ride lit up like a Christmas tree in high vis clothing. He saw me, and knew what I was doing, unfortunately he was just a tool that very nearly ended my riding, and possibly more, through pure arrogance. I caught up to him near Trigg where he'd had enough of driving on the road and was driving pretty quickly up the verge near the Trigg Island Cafe.

What can I say, some people are just tools, but they sure keep you on your toes when on the pedals.
Bish
---------------------------------------
Cycling - Passion or Obsession???
Let's go for a ride and work it out...
'08- Amiata Venezia