Saddle Options

nick-nack

Saddle Options

Postby nick-nack » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Been looking for a saddle to put on a single speed that I'll be picking up soon. Now I know that comfort and all that is very subjective but I won't be on the bike for more than an hour at a time anyways. And either way its going to be a whole lot better than riding bare on the seat post which is how the bike will be arriving.
Took me a while to find a saddle that I liked the looks of but can't seem to find anywhere in Aus that has it. Not to fussed if its the exact same one just want one that is the same/ similar style. Other thing is not looking to break the bank for a saddle - so preferably below $75. Although willing to stretch it a little if its worth it.

Here's what I was looking at - http://www.sellesanmarco.it/en/Vintage/ ... corsa.html. This one is already above my price range from the few stores in the US that have it. But again just after something with a similar style.

Also found this one but again it only seems to be available from the UK http://bricklanebikes.co.uk/posts/17

And just out of interest what about plastic saddles like this - http://www.urbanvelocity.com.au/cinelli ... addle.html. Did a bit of googling and there's pretty mixed reactions. Worth trying or avoid like the plague?

Cheers,
Nick

singlespeedscott

Re: Saddle Options

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:40 pm

For me a SS or fixie requires a real leather saddle.

I prefer Brooks team pro but its a little exy. I have also used the Brooks B17 narrow and found that really comfy too. Can be had for $93 at Wiggle (certainly not as cheap as they use to be).

http://www.this link is broken.au/brooks-saddles ... ow-saddle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also like Selle San Marco's Concor Supercorsa and Rolls. $78 and $61 respectively from Ribble.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... anmsadd500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... anmsadd400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nick-nack

Postby nick-nack » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks for the links - I was avoiding international sites because I was hoping to get the saddle by the end of next week. Hows the shipping times from RIbble?

I was also avoiding leather because of its higher prices (although the prices in those links are pretty reasonable) and because its not as weatherproof. Or am I just being lazy here and they're not that hard to take care of?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Leather in my opinion is a longer lasting material.

Shipping for Ribble is usually 5-10 days. I have ordered on a Thursday and received the goods on the following Tuesday but its usually around 10 days.

nick-nack

Postby nick-nack » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Did some quick searching and indeed leather is touted for being quite durable. Albeit needing some care to get a longer life.

I''m assuming this one here - http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... anmsadd501 is not leather since I see people reviewing it as being vegan friendly.

The regal http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... anmsadd450 caught my eye as well. Tossing up between that and the concor? Anything to tip the scale?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:17 am

Leather = leather hammock-style saddle.

Concor and Selle San Marco are definitely not this, they're just leather over a plastic base = pain in the butt on longer rides :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

nick-nack

Postby nick-nack » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:32 am

Oh was not aware of this - never knew saddles had so many variations. But then again the last bike I bought was from my parents back when I was 11...
Any suggestions then? Brooks seems popular but its a bit pricey.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:31 am

Yes that is the case but its the leather that makes these saddles so durable and comfortable. I buy a lot of bikes and have had few with these saddles that are easily 30 years old. The saddles still felt great to ride and were in great nick.

For me the Rolls and the Concor seem to have just the right combination of foam to make them comfortable for long distance rides.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:29 am

The Rolls is comfortable but may make some people numb as it did me. If you look at the saddle from nose to tail you'll see they are fairly domed.

Many of the plastic/carbon saddles are fairly hard and rely on the padding in your nicks. The ones with ample padding press too much into your soft bits and cause chafe. That is why for comfort, Brooks and other tensioned leather types are often better because they eventually (or sometimes immediately depending on your weight) form to you and get more comfortable as the kilometres increase. They also seem a bit cooler in operation than the more padded saddles.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:55 am

I too prefer BROOKS saddles, as I said previously, but the OP has a budget and these two saddles IMHO are good alternatives.

I have to say I find the Supercorsa more comfortable than the Rolls. I think it's because it's shape is more hammock like. Pretty much the shape of my Team Pro's after a few 1000km's.

nick-nack

Postby nick-nack » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks for the posts so far guys - super helpful!

But Scott's right I'm on a pretty tight budget - this is, after all my alternative to taking the bus. Been reading up on more on the Brooks B17 and the Rolls/Regal and while I would love a Brooks I think I'll be going with a Regal.

And if it makes a difference to any of this - I'm not a big guy. Dropped a fair bit of weight this year and I'm just under 70kg right now. From the reviews I've read weight shouldn't matter too much unless you're a really heavy guy.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 pm

I'm 60kgs. I had a Concor on my road bike that I used for Audax endurance rides. After 150kms it would always give me a damn sore a#$e. I upgraded to a Brooks Swift. First long ride was 110kms - no discomfort at all. Later I did a 360km Audax Oppy and was sore in the rear at the end, but what I did discover is the soreness (pressure pain rather than chafing) did not appear until after 300kms - and this was before the saddle had really broken in. So that gives a bit of a standard - you may be fine on a cheaper plastic saddle, but the Brooks will be comfortable for at least twice the distance.

And the benefits are there for lighter riders as well as heavy riders. However if you never ride more than 40-50kms the benefits of a Brooks will be less obvious I think.
Mandatory helmet law?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:36 am

For a tensioned leather saddle at a good price, try THIS. It prolly won't last 30+ years like a Brooks will, (I killed a similar one in about 3.5 yrs) but it will convince you either way about the beauty of leather.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

nick-nack

Postby nick-nack » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:22 am

Thanks for that ebay link to the saddle - will definitely keep that in mind. But I think I'll be going with the Regal been reading some user reviews of it and it seems like it 'should' work for me. But won't know for sure till I try it out though.

Noticed that RIbble has both a silver rivet and copper rivet version of it... just need to decide which will look better on a red frame?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 am

Vote 1 the copper rivets on a red frame, The Cu riveted Swift on my commuter looks lovely
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Real bike seat rivets are copper. IMHO.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:20 pm

nick-nack wrote:
... just need to decide which will look better on a red frame?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:21 pm

You could get a red Brooks Swift

You'll probably have a conflict with the shade of red involved. You may find the honey works for you, but I reckon you can't go past a black Swift on any bike.
Mandatory helmet law?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:16 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Real bike seat rivets are copper. IMHO.
Wish I could find a Swallow like that...
London Boy 29/12/2011

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:51 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Real bike seat rivets are copper. IMHO.
Wish I could find a Swallow like that...
Yeah. I don't why Brooks insist on using steel rivets on these saddles. Especially for the price. Copper is expensive, but not expensive. I would like to see the small copper rivets like they used back in the day. Like wise for the standard B17.