I have bought Cyclists into Disrepute - Sorry

human909

Re: I have bought Cyclists into Disrepute - Sorry

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:08 am

Its funny even many empathetic motorists who do give a damn about cyclists still don't understand how to drive appropriately in the presence of cyclists. Many are also scared silly about cyclists on the roads and are still of the opinion that it is crazy dangerous and they really shouldn't be on the roads. We really do need to have a mass education campaign.

Of course encouraging more people cycling more often is the best solution.

I still remember the reaction of the lady who hit my riding partner. First shock, then sympathy and then finally a little bit of blame towards us emerged (hi vis was mentioned). She was nice mother of two children and ended up giving us and the broken bike a ride to the train. But still the excusing herself eventually emerged... :( (this is typical human response though, not motoring dependent) I compare that to my Aunty's reaction who 'pressed the wrong pedal' and thought she run over a pedestrian, he was unhurt thanks to his quick reflexes. She is scared of herself driving now.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 am

RESPONSE FROM BUS COMPANY - Huge kudos :D :D

got a call this morning from company -the guy was absolutely awesome - HE IS A CYCLIST - totally understood how incident affected me - is working hard to id the bus driver - who did not report it - as per company rules - has an idea who it is.....says he has 'form'.....he was so nice - said should not worry about the 'smack' - understood totally....still promised to pass on my apologies but said that the bus driver had more to worry about than seeking to charge me....

Thanks for encouraging me to report it - my faith is restored - yeah I know a bit corny..... :oops: Fiona

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 am

Yay Fiona!!!! Congrats...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:46 am

And about that mirror; it doesn't need to be a distraction. Mine is setup such that you just look down and you can see it and what is coming up behind you. Just like looking down at your wheel. Very easy. Great for group rides and bike paths too so that you can see who else is around you.

Have an awesome day!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am

fionahills wrote:RESPONSE FROM BUS COMPANY - Huge kudos :D :D

got a call this morning from company -the guy was absolutely awesome - HE IS A CYCLIST - totally understood how incident affected me - is working hard to id the bus driver - who did not report it - as per company rules - has an idea who it is.....says he has 'form'.....he was so nice - said should not worry about the 'smack' - understood totally....still promised to pass on my apologies but said that the bus driver had more to worry about than seeking to charge me....

Thanks for encouraging me to report it - my faith is restored - yeah I know a bit corny..... :oops: Fiona
Fantastic! I hope this incident does not perturb you at all from cycling. Easier said than done, many of us are quite rightly more wary following incidents that scare us. Please considered taking the full lane when riding in such situations. I know many often find this more difficult to do confidently, however it does significantly improve visibility and safety. Your safety is the priority, not somebody behind you being 5seconds later to work. :wink:

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 am

THE RISING INCIDENCE OF ROAD RAGE IN AUSTRALIA

The overwhelming majority of motorists believe Australian drivers are becoming more aggressive.

A survey of 3740 Australians by insurance provider GIO revealed that 85 per cent believe drivers are more aggressive than ever before.

The study revealed Brisbane drivers are the angriest, while Sydney motorists are involved in less road rage than drivers in any other major capital city.

In total, 95 per cent of Brisbane motorists have been on the receiving end of road rage.

Adelaide and Perth tied for second with 90 per cent of drivers exposed to road rage. Perhaps surprisingly, Melbourne (87 per cent) and Sydney (84 per cent) returned the lowest levels of road rage among Australia’s major capital cities.
Unfortunately the fact that so many drivers get agro behind the wheel of a car, certainly has implications in regard to cyclists safety on the road. :(

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:05 pm

fionahills wrote:RESPONSE FROM BUS COMPANY - Huge kudos :D :D

That's great news.
Corny bit: Yes, you can make a difference.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Fiona - well handled. I reckon I would have done more than a slap. :oops:

But my temper is a bit short these days when it comes to deliberate acts. I've had too many in the last year.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 pm

twizzle wrote:Fiona - well handled. I reckon I would have done more than a slap. :oops:

But my temper is a bit short these days when it comes to deliberate acts. I've had too many in the last year.
Twizzle I always thought you were so calm and composed with you responses to people
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Read his last line, JCJ.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Fantastic result!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Yes it was - the guy was so good - he even aplogised for not contacting me yesterday.

but today I read the story of the guy who killed the old lady by pushing her over, and I got a sense of 'thin edge of the wedge' - maybe my reaction was more road rage than fright or maybe they are the same thing? Maybe that's why I was so overwhelmed by what I did? Maybe both the driver and I will have earnt good lessons from this -hope so - know I have.

anyway hopefully the work Sunbus are doing with their drivers will mean that they better understand the vulnerability of cyclists and how easily things can go very bad. Having a manager that rides has got to be a positive thing.

Fiona

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Good news there Fiona, re the bus company!!
Lisa

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:53 pm

SCORE!!! :D

Well done Fiona, all riders owe you your beverage of choice for refusing to be a doormat.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Hey Fiona,
Was this in Noosa?

I went for a ride up there yesterday morning and had Sunbus practically swerve on top of me in the bike lane near sunshine beach. I got such a fright.

I can't remember the numbers from the plate but the letters were 'RAW'

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:01 pm

No my run in was in Maroochydore - would encourage you to report it though - they seem very responsive - I did not have rego detail or bus number but they are still working to track him down-I hope you are OK - it is so scary - another friend said he nearly got run into a curb up there the other day.....let me know how you go

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 pm

fionahills wrote:Yes it was - the guy was so good - he even aplogised for not contacting me yesterday.

but today I read the story of the guy who killed the old lady by pushing her over, and I got a sense of 'thin edge of the wedge' - maybe my reaction was more road rage than fright or maybe they are the same thing? Maybe that's why I was so overwhelmed by what I did?
Fiona
"Road rage" is a pretty pejorative term, and what you did is undeserving of that. A more appropriate description is that
yours was a justifiable response to provocation. I'm no lawyer, but given that women have been able to justify homicide after suffering years of abuse, your slap might just be part-payment for the drivers provocation in this incident.

Now for your feeling overwhelmed, I'll take off my bush-lawyers hat, and put on my shrinks thinking cap.

Sometimes, I just don't get what it is with women with this low self-esteem and willingness to blame themselves when
things go wrong. Is it something genetic, like menfolk having a special protective gene somewhere on the Y chromosome that helps us blame the rest of the world for everything that goes wrong ? Is the "rest of the world" just too often the women because they lack this gene ?

I'm hoping someone here has got an answer for me on this - I've got a wife and three daughters who would probably
be feeling just as guilty here as Fiona is, and I'd like to cure all of them.

Regards

Sir Never Wrong.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Fiona, you are a legend!!!!

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Stoked for you Fiona. If you care to post on SCA's wall we can kiss the bus company's butt and hopefully help them keep up the good work. Very glad the suspected driver seems to have a history. They don't last long in jobs like his with his attitude.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:36 pm

done womble - put a post on SCA facebook... not all the details but the outcome -

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:47 pm

fionahills wrote:done womble - put a post on SCA facebook... not all the details but the outcome -
Goodo. I'll repost first thing in the morning so everyone sees it. SCA is gaining popularity very quickly up your way. Hopi g to be hanging around the Noosa Tri in some capacity next year as well.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33 am

Hi Fi,

Similar thing happened to me some time back, http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 25#p802197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

im just lucky the bus driver didnt stop and open his door/window as i would't be here typing with my 1 year old on my lap and my 2 year old trying to help me type, i would have a big hairy guy giving me smiles from the other side of our cell. :shock:

Isnt it funny that your driver stopped to give you a mouth full, were me being male and over 6'2" didnt get the chance to give him a slap.

Any way stick to it fi and dont hang up the bike just yet.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Power to your arm Fiona.

...not that your arm needs it by the sound of things!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Read his last line, JCJ.
He's taking the piss. He knows I'm saint-like compared to some.

eg, sending a driver back into his car with the words "I'll pull your bollocks over your head and ride you like a horse".

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:42 am

twizzle wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Read his last line, JCJ.
He's taking the piss. He knows I'm saint-like compared to some.

eg, sending a driver back into his car with the words "I'll pull your bollocks over your head and ride you like a horse".

Sent from my iThingy...
I think I that statement adequately got my belief across that his driving standards needed improvement
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home