What tool do you use?

Secret Squirrel

What tool do you use?

Postby Secret Squirrel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Quick question,(please forgive I am a 800m track athlete) Is there a special tool/spanner that one uses to attachThanks Wal pedals to ones bike?The normal open end spenner is too thick. I would take it to my local bike shop,but they were Very rude to me when I bought my Colnago.
Thanks Wal :D

human909

Re: What tool do you use?

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Secret Squirrel wrote:Quick question,(please forgive I am a 800m track athlete) Is there a special tool/spanner that one uses to attachThanks Wal pedals to ones bike?The normal open end spenner is too thick. I would take it to my local bike shop,but they were Very rude to me when I bought my Colnago.
Normally you can attach them by hand or with the assistance of a allen key (8mm??) in the end of the pedal. The pedalling force ensures that they stay tightly done up. Removing them is more of a hassle and a dedicated pedal spanner is the best solution.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Did you try Google?

Pedal Spanner

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:18 pm

Lots of pedals have a 6mm hex hole in the end of the axle. Don't forget to lightly grease the threads and that the left pedal has a gas thread.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:26 am

human909 wrote:Normally you can attach them by hand or with the assistance of a allen key (8mm??) in the end of the pedal. The pedalling force ensures that they stay tightly done up. Removing them is more of a hassle and a dedicated pedal spanner is the best solution.
+1, Exactly. Just as Human says.The pedals will tighten themselves as you ride and will stay that way. Getting them off, as Human indicates, will require a tool even though you may have only used y our fingers to put them on in the first place.

This assumes of course that you have the cranks on the correct sides. And that you are not on a unicycle. :lol:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 am

Secret Squirrel wrote:Quick question,(please forgive I am a 800m track athlete) Is there a special tool/spanner that one uses to attachThanks Wal pedals to ones bike?The normal open end spenner is too thick. I would take it to my local bike shop,but they were Very rude to me when I bought my Colnago.
To answer your question. Yes, there is a thin spanner for attaching pedals with spanner flats and no hex. You should be able to buy one from a decent bike shop.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:50 am

Secret Squirrel wrote: I would take it to my local bike shop,but they were Very rude to me when I bought my Colnago.
You bought a Colnago........spent big dollars in the shop........and they were rude to you :shock: :shock: :shock:

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:59 am

greyhoundtom wrote:
Secret Squirrel wrote: I would take it to my local bike shop,but they were Very rude to me when I bought my Colnago.
You bought a Colnago........spent big dollars in the shop........and they were rude to you :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wrong way round, Tom:

They were rude to you and yet you still bought a bike - any bike - from them?
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secret Squirrel

Postby Secret Squirrel » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:21 am

What happen at my LBS was I came in there and I told them up front that I wanted a Colnago. They only sell Merida bikes. They had no bikes in my size and tried to sell me the owners second hand bike which was $300 dollars more than my Colnago.There bike was a small. I then went back in there to get a service on my Colnago and to buy some gear and the owners actually got quite abusive saying that "I should over bought local" But they have no cyling shoes,knicks or even pedals for me to buy. I now take my bike to Cairns as I am in Innisfail. I bought my Colnago from the BikeBug and am very happy with there service.
So thanks again for the quick advice. If anyone needs ant running advice please feel free to ask me as I used to run for a living.
Thanks again
Wal