Anyone doing the 2013 Etape du Tour?

greenfish

Anyone doing the 2013 Etape du Tour?

Postby greenfish » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:11 pm

In a rash moment I decided to have a go at the 2013 Etape. I know many consider it an "easy" route by Etape standards, but I'm just a commuter cyclist so have a lot of training to do.

Is there anyone else planning to do the Etape?

David

roller

Re: Anyone doing the 2013 Etape du Tour?

Postby roller » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:29 am

I did it last year, it was an absolute beast, at some points of the ride i wanted to curl up on the side of the road and phone for help.

But that was a pretty insane course (and I think i did the easier of the two), this year's looks a lot easier, I think most will finish within the time limit :D

My tips:

Don't spend 4 weeks boozing your way around Slovenia, Czech Republic, Germany and France before embarking on the ride.

Put it more or less at the start of your holiday, suggest arriving a week before for a week of cycling to get warmed up, then doing the ride, then eating/drinking your way around europe.

The ride is really well organised with well stocked food stops, route markers, great event village and everything they could possibly think of.

Will be the experience of a lifetime - I am very jealous :D
inflammatory statement or idea

greenfish

Postby greenfish » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I'm really looking forward to the ride - will have 2 weeks in the UK before the Etape though training time may be a bit scarce with 3 kids to look after.

So far I've booked a hotel (With 2 spare beds for anyone looking to share some hotel costs). Am thinking I'll take the train from the UK just to avoid any chance of bike damage + avoiding the hassle of renting a car.

roller

Postby roller » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:05 pm

I hired a great bike in annecy from: http://www.provelo.fr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

can't recommend that shop enough, good stockist for energy gels, gloves and alike.

we stayed for a week in annecy, a really lovely place.

we had the most amazing boulangerie downstairs from our apartment. good times good times.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:16 pm

My club is organizing to do it. It is only an hour from home and start and finishes are close together... So logistics are much easier!. But I will hopefully be working from Corsica to Paris so will have to pass.

greenfish

Postby greenfish » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Thanks for the info.

All registered now. Better do some training!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:58 pm

Looks like a good route next year... lovely climbs. Not too hard which means you can push yourself a bit harder :P . How many meters climbing is there?.
You will never see the front, only the VIP's and best placed riders from previous editions etc get the low starting numbers... pace yourself at the start and don't get carried away in the first hour :) .

greenfish

Postby greenfish » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:34 am

Only(!) 3600m of climbing, so a good first Etape.

No risk of me being anywhere near the front, finishing is the first goal and second goal to be in the first half of the field. I'm coming from a fairly low base fitness so was originally going to target the Etape in 2014 - but weight loss and my riding are well ahead of target and the kids need to see their grandparents so 2013 it is.

Must work out how many Cootha loops = 3600m of climbing - 10 or so?

roller

Postby roller » Thu May 30, 2013 1:24 pm

*bump*

not long to go now, how's your training going? excited?