Tiagra swap out

Wakatuki

Tiagra swap out

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi,
This is not in relation to my purchase but been looking at upgrade specs for GLW bike (she doesn't know (SSSHHH))

LBS has, from a bike they upgraded a tiagra set. The customer upgraded to 105 on a sold bike.

I would like to upgrade to the Compact Double, 10sp Cassette, both derailers and would i need bifters / brakes and shifters ,is that the name now?
New bar tape would be needed too but I think that's the least of the cost!

How much should this cost?

Fair guesses please..... Nothing will offend I have no idea!!!

george-bob

Re: Tiagra swap out

Postby george-bob » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:54 pm

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Complete group for $580 on ribble, Tiagra costs $400 IIRC (for a complete group).

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Newbie question what's IIRC? :?

Edit *** Thank you for the information.

TDC

Postby TDC » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:32 pm

IIRC = If i recall correctly.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=iirc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 pm

usernameforme wrote:Complete group for $580 on ribble, Tiagra costs $400 IIRC (for a complete group).
What would one expect to be stung from the LBS to change all the gear over from Tiagra to 105?

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:23 pm

True :? Does the OP feel confident in doing it himself? It may also be worth checking the prices of SRAM and Campag if you're doing a groupset swap. My LBS can come within 10% of the online price on sram groups, but its outrageously expensive on the other stuff. If you want to support your LBS, might be worth asking if they can get one group cheaper than the other

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi,
Not not super confident about doing it my self, I will be practicing on my old raleigh when i get a new bike, no rush to get it back together will probably do Tiagra level on that too.

I fired a shot across the bows of the LBS tonight of so did you sort that price and he said sorry he forgot, So i said about $300! he said a little more than that. But went onto say it was on the the shelf and he could really do with moving it. I mean honestly who really is looking for a compact double nearly new Tiagra set?

This is also the LBS that i am about to place an order for a Scott Cr1, he has lent me a customers CR1 pro overnight. (with the customers permission)
I will be climbing my usual 30 minute quad killer in the morning.
I think $350 fitted is about as far as I will stretch. Is that unfair?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 pm

Make the offer and see what he says. Better cash in the till than dusty shelf warmers.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Update,
Wrangled a package deal if I placed an order on a bike. To sum up...............

Despite initial fears of learning the gears again (she's only been riding 2 weeks!) the wife is very happy with the Tiagra, now its fitted. Another burst of speed, and confidence gained in her own ability. Sometimes guys we do know best! :)

Look forward to seeing some of you on the road.