A Good Entry Level Trike?

Downhill

A Good Entry Level Trike?

Postby Downhill » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:13 am

Hi Guys,

I've been considering buying a reasonable entry level trike. The requirements are foldability, light weight, and comfort. Safety and stability during cornering and braking is fairly high on the agenda.

The trike would be used mainly for fitness & recreation on quiet, paved suburban roads and bike paths. It would be unlikely to be used off road or for touring and doesn't need to carry much of a payload. Speeds would be low to moderate. Distances would be maybe 40 km maximum per ride. It would be unlikely to be used in wet weather or for commuting in heavy traffic.

After a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to two possible choices. One is the Greenspeed GT3, the other is the Velotechnic Gekko. The Greenspeed I can get locally (Perth) whereas the Gekko only appears to be available over the net. Both suppliers appear to be quite reputable. All other things being equal, I'd prefer to support my LBS because of the convenience and service aspect.

Has anybody ridden either of these two models? What are the merits of each? Does one handle / ride better than the other?
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

Baalzamon

Re: A Good Entry Level Trike?

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:33 am

Consider the Ice Adventure?
Mind you if your going offroad I'd be changing the rear of the trike to an IGH of some sort. The hanger is VERY low to the ground and collects sticks very very easily. I had to stop 7 times over a 35km section of dirt and 5 of those times was in a section spanning 5km. I wasn't happy I tell you.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:25 am

I'd call 'entry level' something that is half the price of the two models you've mentioned. In other words not 'quality'. And if you aren't using the trike much then paying 3 grand might be a waste. If what you're really considering is buying a trike that will be your one and only entry into the world of recumbent triking and you're already happy to pay $3000, maybe $4000 then there's lots of brands available in AU . Greenspeed, Trisled, Challenge, Optima, Hase, Catrike, HP Velotechnik, Logotrikes and a few other. You can get a TW Bents or Performer folding trike for $1500-$2000 with definitely 'entry level' quality and stocked in Perth.

And don't worry about the rear derailleur unless you seriously are taking your trike offroad. If you do you don't necessarily need an internal-geared hub to avoid gear damage, Shimano and other derailleur makers have taken notice and there are new derailleurs available with redesigned jockey wheels to keep the package tucked away. if only I could find my Shimano trade catalogue to find a model number ...

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:37 am

Just saw this on the local Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/doublevi ... 1009851747
Whoever this is I don't know but they're selling everything associated with their trike. Everything. I'd call that 'entry level' for someone else.

quedecree

Postby quedecree » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:46 am

I'm in the same boat as you and have been looking around a bit. This one seems pretty close: (it's the MRT) http://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/mrtrikes.html although I'm only going on specs. Anyone ride on of these?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:28 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Just saw this on the local Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/doublevi ... 1009851747
Whoever this is I don't know but they're selling everything associated with their trike. Everything. I'd call that 'entry level' for someone else.
Thanks for the heads-up. What makes it "entry-level"?

I have emailed the seller. Curious as to if he/she would sell the trike on its own. Anyone have an idea of what this would be worth?

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:46 pm

A cattrike villager by itself is $2310 from flyingfurniture, but with the options he has listed bumps it to $2710, the croozer cargo is $330 by itself
Then you have all the other bits and pieces he has.
Trikes btw don't lose too much value when you sell them.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:53 pm

What about ghetto Performer models sold by Flying Furniture? They come in under $2,000 by the looks.

Andrew

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:55 pm

So gd value then? Could a front fairing go on these?

No suspension so hard ride?

Andrew

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Andrew

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. The Catrike looks good but it doesn't fold.

Back to the topic: does anyone know the real difference in performance between the Greenspeed GT3 and the Gekko? Is there much separating the two? I've read the technical specs for each, but I'd be interested in hearing any personal opinions on either.
2010 Oppy C6

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:31 pm

You should have taken the opportunity to test my Ice Adventure FS HD
Oh well your miss, it's gone now

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Pocking around at FlyingFurniture.com and saw a Trident Stowaway 1retailing for $1650.

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:32 pm

UGG don't like the way it folds. My Ice Adventure just fitted into my car folded with rear rack on. I don't think that would fit in my VW golf either with the rear wheel on

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Aushiker wrote:Pocking around at FlyingFurniture.com and saw a Trident Stowaway 1retailing for $1650.

Andrew
We considered that one along with Gekko and the Gekko FX. What interested me is why FF rated the GT3 so low in comparison.
2010 Oppy C6

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 am

DH the greenspeed GT3 has 16" wheels all the way around and 16" is a pain in the butt so just a heads up there and they don't have bearings in the steer there bushes so again a heads up.

Ricky

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:42 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:DH the greenspeed GT3 has 16" wheels all the way around and 16" is a pain in the butt so just a heads up there and they don't have bearings in the steer there bushes so again a heads up.

Ricky
Ah, of course! 16" vs 20". I should have picked that up. Thanks Ricky!
2010 Oppy C6

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Downhill wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:DH the greenspeed GT3 has 16" wheels all the way around and 16" is a pain in the butt so just a heads up there and they don't have bearings in the steer there bushes so again a heads up.

Ricky
Ah, of course! 16" vs 20". I should have picked that up. Thanks Ricky!
Your welcome DH and just so you know why I have said that I have ridden with a few greenspeed GT3 gents and they can't keep up with 20" but what they lack in mid range to high range is they can climb a mountain due to the low gearing but that low end isn't a very balanced set-up for all riding condition so hence my comment a pain in the butt. The other down side to 16" is an odd size you can get 20" wheel gear everywhere plus a great choice of tyres so in my opinion 20" is minimal no less.

Ricky

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:55 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
Your welcome DH and just so you know why I have said that I have ridden with a few greenspeed GT3 gents and they can't keep up with 20" but what they lack in mid range to high range is they can climb a mountain due to the low gearing but that low end isn't a very balanced set-up for all riding condition so hence my comment a pain in the butt. The other down side to 16" is an odd size you can get 20" wheel gear everywhere plus a great choice of tyres so in my opinion 20" is minimal no less.

Ricky
20" sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the tip!
2010 Oppy C6