SMACKING BUS DRIVERS IS NOT COOL

fionahills

SMACKING BUS DRIVERS IS NOT COOL

Postby fionahills » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi everyone

just to say thanks to you all for your support

I love that you have been so understanding about my brain snap but really wanted to say that in all seriousness I SHOULD NOT HAVE SMACKED HIM.

Most (some) of you are probably young enough to be my kids - imagine how you would feel if your mum did this!!! Or your wife!!!!

I am very lucky that he has not charged me and that I got a good hearing from the bus company - looking at it now, I could have ended up in lots of trouble and the result could have been very nasty for all involved.

anyway - I thank you all for your kind messages - you have done a great deal to encourage me to get back on the bike and keep on trying hard to be a better rider.

I promise to smile and wave nicely at all road users now and if needs be will 'dob' them in when I am safely home thanks Fiona

jules21

Re: SMACKING BUS DRIVERS IS NOT COOL

Postby jules21 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 am

bus drivers are notoriously poor at sharing the road with cyclists. i know it's not cool to smack anyone, but i can't help but smile every time i read about this incident :)

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:28 am

I doubt that a jury would have found against you. Imagine the headlines...

Granny Nearly Run Down by Bus Gets Feisty!

I hope that the bus driver wakes up to himself.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Meh.... I punched a guys windscreen in once. "It was just after I had chased him down after he turned across my path and I locked both wheels and missed him by inches On a wet road. In really heavy fast moving traffic

I told him what he had done and he said.. and I quote.. "I dont care mate... I,ve got a bullbar"

I was pleasantly surprised when his windscreen starred dramatically. Gotta love carbon fibre gloves. I asked if he wanted to get out of the car (Hiace) and repeat that. He was unwilling.

You know I feel absolutely zero guilt... Really pleased with that punch 25 years later. On the other hand I have no doubt that that driver has killed someone by now. Hopefully himself. But bringing a bit of unpleasantness into his life was a positive pleasure. There is road rage.. and road rage. And at some point you should kick up.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Percrime wrote:I told him what he had done and he said.. and I quote.. "I dont care mate... I,ve got a bullbar"
this reflects a belief by some that they can use their vehicle as a weapon and not be held responsible. sadly, they're usually correct. for this type of extreme attitude, you can't reason with them. walking away and being the bigger person does nothing to resolve the problem that they'll do it again - in fact it validates their behaviour/attitude. breaking his windscreen is letting him off lightly, in my book.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Percrime wrote:Meh.... I punched a guys windscreen in once. "It was just after I had chased him down after he turned across my path and I locked both wheels and missed him by inches On a wet road. In really heavy fast moving traffic

I told him what he had done and he said.. and I quote.. "I dont care mate... I,ve got a bullbar"

I was pleasantly surprised when his windscreen starred dramatically. Gotta love carbon fibre gloves. I asked if he wanted to get out of the car (Hiace) and repeat that. He was unwilling.

You know I feel absolutely zero guilt... Really pleased with that punch 25 years later. On the other hand I have no doubt that that driver has killed someone by now. Hopefully himself. But bringing a bit of unpleasantness into his life was a positive pleasure. There is road rage.. and road rage. And at some point you should kick up.
Nominate for the "I'm not your sodding doormat!" award 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:41 pm

thanks again guys - but lets forget I admitted to being a granny OK - even the kid calls me fiona..... I hate being old :D :D

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:06 pm

You are only old if you think you are. Age has nothing to do with it. You don't sound old to me - just experienced!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:47 pm

fionahills wrote:I hate being old :D :D
You can do nothing about growing older but everything about growing up. Unleash that teenage girl that riding has re awakened :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 pm

I think she is definitely off the leash - god help us all :D

Creakyknees

Postby Creakyknees » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 am

Wow
If it is the attitude of this forum to support actions like damaging someone wind screen then I want no part of this forum.
Percime, in your incident only your pride was hurt, there is never a reason to damage property, regardless of how big an idiot they are. That action make you just a big of a fool as that driver.

Oh, and as an ex Navy Diver I would be quite happy get out of the car and "discuss" the matter with someone who did that to me.

So the OP is right, violence is NEVER cool, believe me

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:15 am

Obvious troll is... well, you know the rest :roll:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:54 am

Creakyknees wrote:Wow
If it is the attitude of this forum to support actions like damaging someone wind screen then I want no part of this forum.
Percime, in your incident only your pride was hurt, there is never a reason to damage property, regardless of how big an idiot they are. That action make you just a big of a fool as that driver.

Oh, and as an ex Navy Diver I would be quite happy get out of the car and "discuss" the matter with someone who did that to me.

It's not right to damage someone's property but sometimes after a near death experience adrenalin kicks in as an automatic reaction and you don't always think calmly and rationally in a situation like this. You can be the nicest and calmest person in the world (as I'm sure Fiona is) but when someone threatens your life like that, especially if it is unprovoked/unneccessary you can suddenly have a lapse and turn momentarily into Dr Jekyll

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Ross wrote: It's not right to damage someone's property but sometimes after a near death experience adrenalin kicks in as an automatic reaction and you don't always think calmly and rationally in a situation like this. You can be the nicest and calmest person in the world (as I'm sure Fiona is) but when someone threatens your life like that, especially if it is unprovoked/unneccessary you can suddenly have a lapse and turn momentarily into Mr Hyde
Fixed that for you ;)

Dent.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Creakyknees wrote:Wow

In the heat of the moment, sometimes you don't think as clearly as you otherwise might. I'm not supporting the actions, but also not criticising them either. "Discussing" the matter with someone who did that to you in Sydney would be just as likely to get you shot dead where I live.

The OP will learn from it I guess.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:37 pm

Creakyknees wrote:Oh, and as an ex Navy Diver I would be quite happy get out of the car and "discuss" the matter with someone who did that to me.
i don't think he'd be interested in discussing diving with you :shock:

Creakyknees

Postby Creakyknees » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

I totally agree that it is very easy to lose yourself the heat of the moment, it happens to every one.
It is just not something that one should be proud of, or promote. I have seen and done enough tho know that aggression is never good, and violence of any sort, or level should not be accepted or applauded.
I guess I was just disappointed in the moderators response to Percrimes post. (or maybe I just misunderstood what Mulger bill meant).
one "Super Mod" even labelled me as a troll. that is just uncool

If percrime did this today, I can see the Red Banner headlines now "Agro Cyclist smashes in windscreen, Call for compulsory bicycle rego...blah blah"
Does not really help promote responsible cycling does it?

this is what happens when people lose themselves in the heat of the moment

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national ... road-rage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always stand your ground, but don't go to their level. Just play nice out there, coz you never know when some nut job with a bull bar will decide to test it out on you. (or drive off with you attached to the car)

Any way this is just my view, don't want to get all preachy, it is a cycling forum after all.

And I'm always happy to discuss diving with any one :D

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Percrime wrote:Meh.... I punched a guys windscreen in once. "It was just after I had chased him down after he turned across my path and I locked both wheels and missed him by inches On a wet road. In really heavy fast moving traffic

This post is useless without pictures :twisted:
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Creakyknees wrote:\

Bwahhhha... A) Not interested in diving.
B) SO violence is never cool but you are threatening violence. You sir missed a decompression stop
C) Pride and two flat spotted tires.. 4 flat spotted tires on the land rover behind me .. and the plonkers windscreen.. (Oh and his side window.. but thats another story) I can't actually describe how close it was.. I stopped too far past the turning street to turn directly after him and had to go down the next street to catch him. There was possibly not a hundredth of a second in it. I missed the BACK bumper by ... well I might have touched it.
D) I wanted him to get out. If he had looked like an SAS trooper .. I was still keen. Wow I was mad.
D) Yes needed pictures. Sadly this predated helmet cams.
Last edited by Percrime on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:52 pm

fionahills wrote:Hi everyone

just to say thanks to you all for your support

I love that you have been so understanding about my brain snap but really wanted to say that in all seriousness I SHOULD NOT HAVE SMACKED HIM
WRONG you have every right to use force when defending yourself when you feel that your safety is threaten.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Reasonable force. WHich differs apparently a lot on where you are. But its changed recently in England after a bunch of people were charged for hurting house invaders. In that context its now been decided that reasonable force will include decking the bloke with a waffle iron or 12 gauge. Unreasonable violence will involve cutting the guys throat while he is unconscious. I think in Oz we have pretty much reached the point the brits were at where if you look like being a model prisoner in jail.. they will charge you. So.....

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Percrime wrote:Reasonable force. WHich differs apparently a lot on where you are. But its changed recently in England after a bunch of people were charged for hurting house invaders. In that context its now been decided that reasonable force will include decking the bloke with a waffle iron or 12 gauge. Unreasonable violence will involve cutting the guys throat while he is unconscious. I think in Oz we have pretty much reached the point the brits were at where if you look like being a model prisoner in jail.. they will charge you. So.....
As soft as the ACT judges are on crimes they seem to understand reasonable force. A couple of years ago I had a situation where a Ute driver tried to deliberately run me off the road. Thump on the vehicle caused him to pull up and during the discussion that followed I suggested that if he wanted to throw a punch he should make sure it was a good one as he would not get a second. He decided, wrongly as it turned out, that he could make it a good punch. The kind witnesses ensured that along with the police a ambulance was also send fir the Ute driver. I was never charged but he was and the resulting conviction cost him his licence for 6 months.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah..I won a fairly dramatic punch up once thanks to some very on side witnesses. Won it at the scene and in court. I think however that mostly cops should not be thinking about court if self defence.. is reasonable. And my thinking if that if its reasonable for a cop its reasonable for the rest of us.