Bendigo Belter 2012

mattwilkinson

Bendigo Belter 2012

Postby mattwilkinson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:46 am

Just got an email from wiggle and they are holding a 85, 125, and 155km ride in Bendigo!

Tickets range from $45-$55 for the event and it will be held on the 9th of December.
The ride will be fully marshalled, And there will be mechanical support along the road. They will have nutrition stations with High5 nutrition snacks.
The ride will be time, not sure how.

Prices are a 50% off for the first 3 weeks, tickets available from wiggle.
http://www.this link is broken.au/events/?utm_so ... u-29-10-12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slian

Re: Bendigo Belter 2012

Postby slian » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 am

Is the route map/profile available yet?

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Cheap and only 1000 riders. Get in quick I think, not much else on in December.

Found these: 85k http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/145860461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & 125k http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/145861607" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Wiggle has an Australian website ?? :o
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:53 am

I'd be up for the 155km ride..

slipsam

Postby slipsam » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:20 am

il padrone wrote:Wiggle has an Australian website ?? :o
They do, but i believe it's just a mirror of the UK site, with everything still being sent from over there.

What it does miss out on is the Q&A and review history of the UK site, so not much good if you're trying to do a bit of research on a product. For that reason I've stuck with the UK site.

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:44 am

Very tempting!

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:53 pm

I've signed up for the 156k ride...

btothec

Postby btothec » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:02 pm

jamesn184 wrote:I've signed up for the 156k ride...
Just did the same. I've ridden a few times up around Bendigo before and there is some nice riding to be had up there.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:04 pm

The map is now up, I've uploaded it here.
I sent an email to find out if they have got the permits to hold the event yet.

Unfortunately the Victorian Open Road Cycling Championships had to be postponed here because they left getting the permit to late, Lets hope they already have the permit and the same thing doesn't happen!

Semar

Postby Semar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:31 pm

The route looks really good. Up and over the Mount, lots of medium hills and a flatter finish. :wink:
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

Cadel

Postby Cadel » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Signed up for the 155km option, longest ride so far so it should be interesting... :shock:

Does anyone know of any parking arrangements around the Park?

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:15 pm

I live in Bendigo so I am very familiar with the whole route. It is scenic, the road surfaces are good, traffic conditions are good on most of it (but much will depend on marshalling and traffic management, especially for the last part) and the terrain is more challenging than it looks - there are lots and lots of short hills that add up to respectable total altitude gain for the day. I'm looking forward to it with enthusiasm. If you haven' t ridden in this part of the world, you will be pleasantly surprised :)
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:46 am

There is a pothole that has been sprayed with bitumen on the descent of Mt Alexander from that side. I'm going to mark it with spray paint as it took me out at 50 kmh earlier in the year when I didn't see it. One of the blokes I have ridden with knows of a rider who broke a rear zipp on it also, so it is a hard hit if you run over it at speed.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 am

warthog1 wrote:There is a pothole that has been sprayed with bitumen on the descent of Mt Alexander from that side. I'm going to mark it with spray paint as it took me out at 50 kmh earlier in the year when I didn't see it. One of the blokes I have ridden with knows of a rider who broke a rear zipp on it also, so it is a hard hit if you run over it at speed.
Sounds like a good idea :)

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:42 pm

jamesn184 wrote:
warthog1 wrote:There is a pothole that has been sprayed with bitumen on the descent of Mt Alexander from that side. I'm going to mark it with spray paint as it took me out at 50 kmh earlier in the year when I didn't see it. One of the blokes I have ridden with knows of a rider who broke a rear zipp on it also, so it is a hard hit if you run over it at speed.
My brother went over the handlebars at this pothole lat week. http://imgur.com/2Wybu

I went out there today and marked the pothole. http://imgur.com/dWo0X,TTL4p, http://imgur.com/TTL4p

It is about 4.8km from the summit down the Northern descent. Spread the word and good luck.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:45 pm

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it cheers for that

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Chuck in Bendigo wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:
My brother went over the handlebars at this pothole lat week. http://imgur.com/2Wybu

I went out there today and marked the pothole. http://imgur.com/dWo0X,TTL4p, http://imgur.com/TTL4p

It is about 4.8km from the summit down the Northern descent. Spread the word and good luck.
Nice work on the marking 8)

That is the hole that got me a couple of months back and I went over the bars too. Knocked my hands off the handlebars when I hit the mongrel and over I went landing on my head and breaking my helmet. It doesn't look like much on the photo but it hits hard when you dont see it :x
I hope your brother is alright and gets over his gravel rash soon. I should have gone out and marked it after it got me :(
I'm going over the other way on Tuesday so I'll check out your work on the way up.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Forwarded an email to the Mt Alexander Council advising them of the event and the dangerous hole in the road, with a request it be filled and resurfaced. I'll see what response I get.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Is this a fully supplied event i.e. gels/drinks etc?

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Cadel wrote:Signed up for the 155km option, longest ride so far so it should be interesting...

Does anyone know of any parking arrangements around the Park?
There is heaps of car parks at the park and there is on street parking all around. Cant see it being an issue.

Chuck in Bendigo

Postby Chuck in Bendigo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 am

Interesting read from today's Bendigo property guide.

http://www.bendigoweekly.com.au/news/ge ... r-a-battle

Greater Bendigo council has responded to criticism about its endorsement of a cycling event run by an online retailer.
The UK-based Wiggle company will hold an event in Bendigo on December 9 as part of its Super Series.
“The City of Greater Bendigo’s involvement in this event is restricted to traffic management support and some minor marketing assistance of the actual event,” events manager Terry Karamaloudis said.
“Council views the Wiggle Bendigo Belter as an opportunity to attract bike riders to Bendigo to participate in this event.
“Bendigo is working hard to attract a slice of the lucrative cycling tourism market.”
According to a Sydney-based bike company, Bendigo’s retailers are upset by the event.
“Essentially, the City of Greater Bendigo has lent its support, including the use of their logo on event artwork, to an event being run on behalf of an overseas online retailer,” Shimano national sales manager Drew Johnson said.
“We have no issues with internet selling, but they are able to flaunt our laws.
“I’ve asked some of the retailers in Bendigo and they’ve said, no way would they get involved in that.
“I, for one, think it is an appalling state of affairs when a regional city council would sell off their proud and strong cycling heritage to overseas enterprises that have nothing more on their minds other than to exploit local markets.
“It is simply a disgrace.”
Mr Karamaloudis said council made the decision to host the ride, which is the first time it has been held in Australia, because it is an opportunity to attract cycling visitors.
“It was not the intention of the council to encourage online shopping through this event to the detriment of local retailers,” he said.
“This event will provide an opportunity for local retailers to take advantage of the influx of cyclists in our city.”
Limelight Sports is the Melbourne company organising the Wiggle ride.
“We were looking in the Victorian region and Bendigo council was very keen to bring it to Bendigo,” Limelight spokesman Alistair Hills said.
“It’s an opportunity to expand into the Australian market and get the brand out there.
“We will run at a loss the first year, but this is part of our plan to invest in cycling in Australia.”
The 155-kilometre road ride had attracted 270 registrations this week, the majority from outside Bendigo.
“Our aim was to attract people to Bendigo so that they may experience Bendigo and the many things it has to offer – we are on track to achieve that aim,” Mr Karamaloudis said.
Wiggle international marketing head Maddy Riordan said Bendigo was an ideal setting.
“Bendigo has some of the most jaw-dropping scenery,”she said.
“It is the perfect place to offer keen cyclists the indulgence of a completely organised and hassle-free weekend ride.”

The 155-kilometre road ride had attracted 270 registrations this week, the majority from outside Bendigo.
It is terrible writing and I can't tell if this is total registrations up to this week or what?

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Bit of sour grapes there

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:54 pm

It seems typical of Shimano Australia's head in the sand attitude to the changes in global retailing!
I am yet to see Shimano Australia putting on a sportif ride or supporting mass participation rides of any sort. Likewise, retailers in Bendigo ( and, to be fair, most other places in Australia) have had the opportunity to organise or support mass participation rides and have never done so. And now they are whinging because Wiggle are taking up an opportunity they have missed!
Caveat - yes, I know I have made sweeping generalisations and there are exceptions and I am happy for others to point them out.... But you get my general drift!
Andrew

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:11 am

The hypocrisy of Shimano flying the Aussie flag in the face of an overseas retailer is a joke, hardly a true blue enterprise themselves. Surely some company based in Oz is providing the mechanical support for the ride as well as event photo's. I dont think UK representatives will be flying for the day to run the registration tent and feed stations. Then there is the people like myself who have booked to stay the weekend at a Bendigo hotel and most likely eat at Bendigo restaurants/cafes. They do more harm than good by printing junk like that.