Sprung

elk

Sprung

Postby elk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:43 pm

I thought I'd try and get some pics up .
This is a Barb . Built in Elizabeth St Melb. by Finlay Brothers . They also sold and assembled BSA motorcycles up until the 50's or 60's .

It uses flattened rear forks as a kind of '' flex arm '' . The tubing for them was patented by Accles and Pollock in the mid to late 30's . The cast alloy shackle at the top of the stays has an oil hole and is smooth as . It rides smoothly too .

This one was a little sad when I found it but there were some specks of paint to go by . The original westwood rims were kaput so I replaced them . Apart from the seat tube and saddle all the other parts are original(as I found it) .

The father of a friend used to ride one when they were new and reckons they were a great bike . The only problem was that the rear forks would crack due to constant flexing . That's why you don't see many of these around and why I don't ride it much .

Hope it's of interest ,
Jon

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:03 pm

wow.. that is most interesting.I can see that the chainstays are mighty thin to flex in place of a bottom end swingarm, I guess.
I wouldn't feel to safe riding it though.

top job on the resto as well, that paint work detail on the forks and rims is superb.

two40

Postby two40 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:10 pm

Looks a million bucks. Nice job.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:46 pm

That looks great, elk. Love those wicked bars and 'Major Taylor' stem :D

There's enough people on here with old 1930s, 40s, 50s single speed road bikes that we ought to get a group ride happening. I'm in Melbourne, how many others are? Want to set up a classic bike ride some time?

Last September a few of us got together for the Russell Mockridge Memorial Ride, but it was only a little 2 km pootle to a minute's silence. I'd like to do a longer ride, maybe 50-60kms, out in the country somewhere. Something like l'eroica even, which didn't happen this year.

Any takers?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elk

Postby elk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks ,

Just one more of the nice Melbourne made shackle .

utopia

Postby utopia » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:51 pm

thats impressive.

thought that rear suspension was relatively new but they obviously arent. they are just making a comeback!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:50 pm

The 'Whippet' - a sprung frame safety bike from the late 1880s!

From the Farren Collection. Dual suspension is not all that new :shock: , but with solid tyres I guess they needed something.
Mandatory helmet law?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:27 pm

Sorry to go OT, but that bike stand is the Funkiest thing I've ever seen.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:49 pm

Yes, good old cast iron. They have quite a few of these classic bike stands

In keeping with the 'Bicycle Emporium' style of their collection. 8)

Mandatory helmet law?

elk

Postby elk » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Amazing stuff ,

Makes my lot look rather sad in comparison . I know the Farrens have at least a couple of sprung Barbs too . There is a sprung Barb register . Only 13 on it so far .

If you look through the patents for bike suspension they are few and far between until the 70's/ 80's . Then there's heaps of them .

As for the ride suggested by Il Padrone , I reckon it's a good idea but that sort of distance is beyond me for a while due to an exchange involving a Matchless motorcycle , a wallaby and myself .

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:41 pm

elk wrote:Amazing stuff ,

involving a Matchless motorcycle , a wallaby and myself .
Ménage à trois anyone, that's 3 in a spa I'd like to see. :lol:

elk

Postby elk » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:39 pm

Only one problem with that idea . The wallaby isn't available for viewing .

Cheers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:55 pm

elk wrote:As for the ride suggested by Il Padrone , I reckon it's a good idea but that sort of distance is beyond me for a while due to an exchange involving a Matchless motorcycle , a wallaby and myself .
I was actually thinking of sometime early next year, maybe February. I'm busy till then - work, Chrissie, and holiday trip. So you'd have time to recuperate :wink:

Hope you're OK??
Mandatory helmet law?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:41 pm

elk wrote:Thanks ,

Just one more of the nice Melbourne made shackle .

/barb/P1010002.jpg[/img]
Just got to say that is one very cool bicycle and so nicely restored... top job!

This has to be about the only bicycle I can think of that makes a Hetchins curly look passe :o

Cheers
Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:05 pm

Brilliant. However nice and simple the idea is, any engineer could quickly tell you it wasn't going to last :roll:

It would be interesting to make a modern version of that that would last though Would be an interesting project...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:08 pm

MichaelB wrote:Brilliant. However nice and simple the idea is, any engineer could quickly tell you it wasn't going to last :roll:

It would be interesting to make a modern version of that that would last though Would be an interesting project...
Ah John Castellano (of Ibis mtb fame) (http://www.castellanodesigns.com/fango.html) makes a softail mountain bike with flattened stay's out of "gasp" aluminium and it seems to work OK.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:28 am

KHS and others had elastomer sprung softtails a few years back.
Cannondale used a similar concept in CF for their Scalpel range of race MTBs.

Nothing truly new is there? 8)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:31 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Brilliant. However nice and simple the idea is, any engineer could quickly tell you it wasn't going to last :roll:

Ah John Castellano (of Ibis mtb fame) (http://www.castellanodesigns.com/fango.html) makes a softail mountain bike with flattened stay's out of "gasp" aluminium and it seems to work OK.
Whooaah! :shock:

I'd reckon that would be a good idea out of steel, or even better, titanium. I think one US top-line MTB manufacturer did a titanium frame in the late 90s that had no pivot or shock, but had good suspension from the frame design flexing vertically.

But to do it in aluminium is asking for trouble! Aluminium doesn't have any real bending tolerance, in contrast to steel. Fatigue begins with any bending. action. That's why alloy frames are built so rigid - to prevent flex.
Mandatory helmet law?

DavidWKimber

Re: Sprung

Postby DavidWKimber » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Re your enquiry about a Barb, I understand they were built by Finlay Bros and also that one was modified by Bob Finlay and was very successful as a racing bike used to set speed records in teh 1930s by Fatty Lamb, Hubert Opperman and/or Ossie Nicholson. I would be very interested in seeing (getting hold of this bike as I have the motor cycle which was used to pace it and others to these records. It would be great to get such pieces of historic equipment together.

REgards

Bobmatthews

Postby Bobmatthews » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:26 am

Hi, I've just joined the forum seeking info from other owners of Barb bicycles. I was recently given one in a very sorry state and it was so rusted only the bare frame was of any use. It had the remnants of Major Taylor bars and a Brooks saddle and Williams crank. It has two holes in the top frame tube the same as the one in the photo and has brazed on tabs on the front forks and rear stays which may have been used as part of an early brake configuration. It has the Finlay Brothers badge on the head and I need some help in locating someone who can make a decal set for the main down tube. I've tried to attach an image with no luck at this stage.

iestyn

Postby iestyn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Cyclomondo on ebay (user id gts753) used to have some. It would be worth contacting him and asking.