Buying from Peter White Cycles

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Buying from Peter White Cycles

Postby adaml » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Has anyone dealt with Peter White Cycles? I know he/they are reputable, but I was wondering about things like how long it would take to get a wheel built and delivered, delivery charges and what they are like to deal with in general.

I'm not sure how up-to-date the website is, but they seem to have some great deals on Sanyo dynohub systems, which seem like a good match for my urban commuter hack.

Cheers,
Adam.
adaml

by BNA » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:00 am

BNA

Re: Buying from Peter White Cycles

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:00 am

I haven't dealt with this webshop.Shipping costs were clear and I got put off by the blurb they used to have about not selling to countries where the product already had dealers, that bit isn't on their website now but in the meantime i shopped elsewhere and found better prices. Really, buying dynamo bits from the US isn't cheap, nor is the postage. Lots of European websites sell dynamos and dyno wheelsets, have been used by BNAers. Check out Rose Versand, Bike24, Bike-Discount.de, Starbike before you commit to the US.

I generally build my own wheels, makes postage a bit easier when buying dynamo bits. Also gives more options on hubs. The Sanyo hubs from PWC are similar in price to what you can get for most Shimano or SRAM, maybe not as smooth running as the newer Shimano models (like the XT).

Edit: Aushiker just posted something about prices from XXCycle in France http://www.xxcycle.com/wheel-hub-dynamo,en.php
just4tehhalibut

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:41 pm

adaml wrote:Has anyone dealt with Peter White Cycles? I know he/they are reputable, but I was wondering about things like how long it would take to get a wheel built and delivered, delivery charges and what they are like to deal with in general.

I'm not sure how up-to-date the website is, but they seem to have some great deals on Sanyo dynohub systems, which seem like a good match for my urban commuter hack.

Cheers,
Adam.

Peter White is dogmatic and opiniated, and insists on doing it his way. If you don't like it his way, that's too bad for you, you are only a customer. Prices are generally on the high side.

If you need a custom wheel then I'd recommend Prowheelbuilder. My dealings with them have been more than satisfactory.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Another viewpoint from someone who visited and spoke with PW, link.... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 72869&v=WI

"Peter White is skilled and very capable at what he does best--build wheels and bicycles. His wife, Linda, however, is the communicator of the family. Having said that, I did visit Peter White in his shop (traveled from MO to NH) before I purchased my Panamericana. He is a very personable and soft spoken individual. I know that is almost impossible to believe from his cryptic email answers. However, He took a lot of time out of his day to answer my questions concerning the TT Panamericana and to review carefully the choices that I had made. I have read similar comments about PW on forums and people's reaction to his cryptic replies. I must say though, they are misinterpreting his short and to the point replies."
Uncle Just

Return to Buying a bike / parts