Moron Motorists #3

boss

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby boss » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:36 am

lump_a_charcoal wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:I had an odd one this morning. I was approaching a T intersection on a 2 lane road where the lanes are separated at the intersection. I was claiming the left lane to turn left. A company ute cut across in front of me from the right lane across the dividing solid lines, turned left (straight into into the right lane of the other road), and immediately after got stuck in traffic while I rolled past in the left lane. It saved him absolutely zero time and was just done to be a jerk, I think.

I have the full video, but I have sent it to the company and am awaiting their response before I post it.

The thing that I though was odd is that this guy obviously thought I was some nobody cyclist who he can treat like dirt. But I am actually a customer of this business and have spent money there irregularly over a long period of time and very coincidentally was about to do so again this coming week. Obviously now I'm not. The guy who sits next to me at work rides a motor bike and is a customer of theirs too but was very unimpressed by the footage.

It's just so silly that in this time of struggling retail for companies to actively look for ways of losing customers. I don't get it. I've at least let the company know what has happened and that they've lost 2 customers in one go and the work day hadn't even started yet...
Instant karma!
It's nice when you can act as a broker of karma.

This sort of thing is an issue for business the world round - not just talking about employees in signwritten cars. The guy in the car most likely doesn't have a stake in the company other than his paycheque, so he doesn't consider the consequences of his actions on the road. Getting employees to have a holistic view of any business is a tough nut to crack.

But either way, that guy will learn his lesson if the business takes your email/video seriously, and there's no reason for them not to. Wouldn't mind being updated with their response (and of course seeing the footage).

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:39 am

Crawf wrote:Image
Nothing like some Bogan chick abuse, made me laugh hard.
This car was proceeded by a guy on a Motorbike yelling abuse as well, as If the moron thinks I can here through his helmet. You'd think someone on two wheels would be on your side :?:
I think they think I should have been in the gutter.

From the footage it looked like you were already basically in the gutter.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Undertow wrote:
From the footage it looked like you were already basically in the gutter.
Nope, a good metre out.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:08 pm

skull wrote:
jcjordan wrote:Let me guess...Northbourne Ave?

Going anywhere near that road anytime between 7am and 8am on a weekday is just asking to be killed. Drivers refuse to indicate, constantly on the phone, running red light and another manner of poor behavior. I would not drive it let alone ride it

When I ride with the Friday bunch I usuall bail from the bunch just after the war memorial.

Hooting back down northbourne at 7am (especially in a large group of cyclists) is not my idea of a smart move.
Heading South, it's O.K. before 7am... it's not too bad until 8am... it's quite bad until 9am, as the traffic is barely moving and peds cross the road thinking there won't be anyone in the bike lane. Heading North is usually O.K.... except for the buses.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:36 pm

jimboss wrote:It's nice when you can act as a broker of karma.

This sort of thing is an issue for business the world round - not just talking about employees in signwritten cars. The guy in the car most likely doesn't have a stake in the company other than his paycheque, so he doesn't consider the consequences of his actions on the road. Getting employees to have a holistic view of any business is a tough nut to crack.

But either way, that guy will learn his lesson if the business takes your email/video seriously, and there's no reason for them not to. Wouldn't mind being updated with their response (and of course seeing the footage).
I've had a response from the General Manager of the company. The driver has been contacted and given a formal warning. I expected more or less that action but probably not the response from so high up.

If I could disguise the vehicle enough to show the video I would but it's covered in company stickers so it would just be a pixelated blob :roll:
Here's a screenshot of the relevant bit.

Not spectacular, and the wide angle (gopro 170deg) gives the impression of plenty of room, but the ute was moving quicker than you would think at an intersection and it was enough to startle me, that's for sure.
Last edited by Ozkaban on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boss

Postby boss » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
jimboss wrote:It's nice when you can act as a broker of karma.

I've had a response from the General Manager of the company. The driver has been contacted and given a formal warning. I expected more or less that action but probably not the response from so high up.

If I could disguise the vehicle enough to show the video I would it's covered in company stickers so it would just be a pixelated blob :roll:
Here's a screenshot of the relevant bit.

Not spectacular, and the wide angle (gopro 170deg) gives the impression of plenty of room, but the ute was moving quicker than you would think at an intersection and it was enough to startle me, that's for sure.
That's a good outcome. Hopefully the guy learns his lesson.

From the photo, it looks fairly late in the piece to be changing lanes in front of someone.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 pm

jimboss wrote: That's a good outcome. Hopefully the guy learns his lesson.

From the photo, it looks fairly late in the piece to be changing lanes in front of someone.
It's actually a solid line under the car.

I cropped down a slightly earlier shot showing the triangle in the intersection to give you a better idea.

Yes it was fairly late. Any later and there would have been bent metal.

uppo75

Postby uppo75 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
jimboss wrote: That's a good outcome. Hopefully the guy learns his lesson.

It's actually a solid line under the car.

I cropped down a slightly earlier shot showing the triangle in the intersection to give you a better idea.

Yes it was fairly late. Any later and there would have been bent metal.

I like this photo. You can see the intersection and the shadow of the car looming. It gives more perspective to original shot of the ute cutting in front of you.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 pm

jimboss wrote:
lump_a_charcoal wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:I had an odd one this morning. I was approaching a T intersection on a 2 lane road where the lanes are separated at the intersection. I was claiming the left lane to turn left. A company ute cut across in front of me from the right lane across the dividing solid lines, turned left (straight into into the right lane of the other road), and immediately after got stuck in traffic while I rolled past in the left lane. It saved him absolutely zero time and was just done to be a jerk, I think.

I have the full video, but I have sent it to the company and am awaiting their response before I post it.

The thing that I though was odd is that this guy obviously thought I was some nobody cyclist who he can treat like dirt. But I am actually a customer of this business and have spent money there irregularly over a long period of time and very coincidentally was about to do so again this coming week. Obviously now I'm not. The guy who sits next to me at work rides a motor bike and is a customer of theirs too but was very unimpressed by the footage.

It's just so silly that in this time of struggling retail for companies to actively look for ways of losing customers. I don't get it. I've at least let the company know what has happened and that they've lost 2 customers in one go and the work day hadn't even started yet...
Instant karma!
It's nice when you can act as a broker of karma.

In future, businesses will surely have their vehicles running around without identification and logos, sort of like the trucks you see going to Port Botany with little more than a non-descript ID number on them. I've lost count of the number of them I've wanted to report for road-rage but couldn't because one, no phone number or company ID, or two, impossible to see the number plate on the footage because the driver stuck his headlights on high beam to obscure the view. :x

Crazy late overtake, especially across those lines.

boss

Postby boss » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:21 pm

g-boaf wrote: Crazy late overtake, especially across those lines.
I agree. Now seeing the second photo, that overtake was super late. What a jerk.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:03 pm

Have police been informed?

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:00 pm

2012 Oppy A4

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:27 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
That was scary close, not cool.

And i think we're all missing the important point from crawf's video, which is that he has some SOLID quads! :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:49 pm

lump_a_charcoal wrote:Have police been informed?
Not at this point. Not sure if I will. I feel like the company dealt with it (assuming they're being honest). Might show a police officer friend and see what he says.

Oh, Kona - that one was bloody close...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:39 pm

human909 wrote:...Going by deaths per time, NOT the erroneous deaths per km...
Why is distance erroneous? I don't see it.

If commuting distance is the relevant measure and time is not.

If I was after exercise then time would make sense as a measure. But then driving a car is not gonna exercise you anyway so there is no need for comparison of accidents or anything else about them anyway.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

boss

Postby boss » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:16 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:

If I was after exercise then time would make sense as a measure. But then driving a car is not gonna exercise you anyway so there is no need for comparison of accidents or anything else about them anyway.
Probably because the longer you spend on the road, the more likely you're gonna get hit by a westie drongo.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:25 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:

For a given trip choice yes distance is the relevent metric. But for a long term transport choice then no. Our distance from our work and our willingness to choose destinations at certain distances are dependent on transport options available. Distance travelled makes no sense at all. Comparing the safety of air travel to walking on a per kilometre basis is absurd. I cycle and I walk and I drive. When I drive I often drive 800km in a weekend. Around town I cycle a few dozen kilometres in a week. Comparing the risk on a per kilometre basis is not relevant.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:03 am

KonaCommuter wrote:
Yes scary close, and if I'm not mistaken that corner has had similar incidents previously. Time for more assertive lane claiming? or a quick side trip on the footpath?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:04 am

Left hook. Car begins braking hard as it gets parallel, doesn't quite get past me, then heads for the corner.

AZ gets some action, plus I was managing to stop in time (hard on the rear brakes - must swap AZ to left hand) if that didn't work because once they started braking it seemed there was a good chance of a left hook coming up.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:21 am

InTheWoods wrote:Left hook. Car begins braking hard as it gets parallel, doesn't quite get past me, then heads for the corner.

AZ gets some action, plus I was managing to stop in time (hard on the rear brakes - must swap AZ to left hand) if that didn't work because once they started braking it seemed there was a good chance of a left hook coming up.
Classic case of the "must get past syndrome". The female driver, the wide berth given and the type of car all suggest to me that the driver wasn't being deliberately rude and aggressive. She simply was not a competent driver who could not judge your speed or conclude that is was safer and sensible to wait.

In most cases I would prefer an rude & aggressive competent driver to an incompetent one. :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:25 am

InTheWoods wrote:Left hook
I'd be claiming the lane at that point

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:45 am

jasonc wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Left hook
I'd be claiming the lane at that point
IMO he did claim the lane, the MM was well over the lines to pass then turn back in.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:51 am

human909 wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:

For a given trip choice yes distance is the relevent metric. But for a long term transport choice then no. Our distance from our work and our willingness to choose destinations at certain distances are dependent on transport options available. Distance travelled makes no sense at all. Comparing the safety of air travel to walking on a per kilometre basis is absurd. I cycle and I walk and I drive. When I drive I often drive 800km in a weekend. Around town I cycle a few dozen kilometres in a week. Comparing the risk on a per kilometre basis is not relevant.
Statistically the "long term transport" is almost of no consequence in the stats however. Not many are going to ride 800km for commuting and not many are going to walk across the continent.

So after taking that bit out we are in agreement. 8)
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 am

human909 wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Left hook. Car begins braking hard as it gets parallel, doesn't quite get past me, then heads for the corner.

Classic case of the "must get past syndrome". The female driver, the wide berth given and the type of car all suggest to me that the driver wasn't being deliberately rude and aggressive. She simply was not a competent driver who could not judge your speed or conclude that is was safer and sensible to wait.

In most cases I would prefer an rude & aggressive competent driver to an incompetent one. :wink:
Exactly as I see it.

I have stated many times that drivers or cars do not realise how much they will slow down at and into a corner screwing up their whole perception of of what will be where and at what time. Crunch! Co-incidence of car and bike.

Trailing drivers are most inclined to make the move shown on this video if they think the rider is also going to turn left. I learnt from experience to NEVER indicate left turns if a driver is behind me, only as courtesy to drivers forward of me.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:03 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I am only stating that using distance as the rate is NOT erroneous either. It applies to when the purpose is to commute for example. That is a substantial (majority?) component of riding.
As I have explained this is not valid when comparing the overall safety of one mode of transport to another on a usage basis. Including its usage as a commuting vehicle. In general bicycles are used for much shorter commutes than the car. This is particularly true when the commuting culture has not grown up around the car like it has in Australia. Most of the general public cycle commuter ride distance shorter than 10km, many less than 5km. The cycling enthusiast community is an obvious exception here but this is not "normal" bicycle transport use.

Some people commute hundreds or thousands of kilometres to work. In the long term the distance of an acceptable commute is totally dependent on transport choice. Of course for any given trip the distance is fixed. :wink:

EDIT:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:We are in agreement. 8) I think we are anyway. :?
I'm not entirely sure we are..... But maybe its just better we pretend that we are. :wink: