Todays rides

mrgolf

Re: Todays rides

Postby mrgolf » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:28 pm

BB creak on the Reacto? Are you running an adapter for shimano BB on your frame?

Update on my situation: no creak to report on my current frame. Fingers crossed. I will know categorically by the end of summer. At which point, I will sell up and buy a Look.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Few laps of the Crit track (AT) Stromlo on the 2013 Giant TCR Ad0 followed by 90min on the mountain on the Tranc X 29er 0. F'ing loved the Trance!
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

DW260

Postby DW260 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:21 pm

mrgolf wrote:BB creak on the Reacto? Are you running an adapter for shimano BB on your frame?

Update on my situation: no creak to report on my current frame. Fingers crossed. I will know categorically by the end of summer. At which point, I will sell up and buy a Look.
Um, not sure about an adaptor, all I know is it has shimano ultegra, but that's what I thought the frame was designed around.

Funny you should mention the Look. The choice for me was between the Reacto and the Look 595 and the Reacto won based purely on Di2 and the obvious fact that the Look had skimped on a few areas even though it was the best part of $5000.
Merida 907e Reacto. Fast and comfortable.
Giant XTC 2 29er
Malvern Star Oppy A4

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 pm

My Reacto BB was a bit of a creacker as well.

I found that once I cleaned it up and gave it a good coating of lithium grease it came good.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:50 pm

DW, the Reacto frame has a BB30 aperture, which on the 2012 frames runs an adapter to enable heavier and less rigid (heh heh) shimano cranks. The tradeoff, unless you consider your issues with creaking (surprising, considering the teggy cranks), is less reliability...

JC: where did you put the lithium grease? Crank to bearing surface? How long has it been creak-free? My new frame has been OK so far.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Mine was the 909 Dura Ace and had a external BB.

Creacked from the start till I cleaned out all the orginal grease and replaced it. Good for 18 Monte rain or shine till I retired her for the Trek Madone.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

petie

Postby petie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 pm

Hit up stromlo this morning, snakes are coming out! Saw a biiig fella up on the northern side of the park. Also managed to face my fear of the teeter totter and ride them out!

DW260

Postby DW260 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:08 am

mrgolf wrote:DW, the Reacto frame has a BB30 aperture, which on the 2012 frames runs an adapter to enable heavier and less rigid (heh heh) shimano cranks. The tradeoff, unless you consider your issues with creaking (surprising, considering the teggy cranks), is less reliability...

JC: where did you put the lithium grease? Crank to bearing surface? How long has it been creak-free? My new frame has been OK so far.
Aha, interesting. So my frame was originally designed for the BB30 which is more unreliable? Am I reading that correctly?

My creaking has been solved and I think it was more of an assembly issue from the bike store by virtue of the replacement frame I got several weeks ago.
Merida 907e Reacto. Fast and comfortable.
Giant XTC 2 29er
Malvern Star Oppy A4

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Holy S#!+, Dave & his mates have one-upped their recent Black Mountain session with 43 x Mt Ainslie reps:

http://app.strava.com/activities/27390827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: he was only half done - he finished the ride: vertical Mt Everest!
Last edited by nickdos on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:11 pm

DW260 wrote:
mrgolf wrote:DW, the Reacto frame has a BB30 aperture, which on the 2012 frames runs an adapter to enable heavier and less rigid (heh heh) shimano cranks. The tradeoff, unless you consider your issues with creaking (surprising, considering the teggy cranks), is less reliability...

Aha, interesting. So my frame was originally designed for the BB30 which is more unreliable? Am I reading that correctly?

My creaking has been solved and I think it was more of an assembly issue from the bike store by virtue of the replacement frame I got several weeks ago.
Yeah, it was originally intended to run BB30. My second frame has about 4-5000kms on it now with some serious work on the pedals including Fitz epic. So far absolutely no problems. Its brilliant now. BB30 is terrible when it goes wrong, but if it is running correctly, it is no less reliable. I know some guys running outboard shimano BB's that creak like nothing else. I guess, BB30 is more likely to go wrong, or there is more scope for error, as the bearings are essentially glued in with loctite rather than screwed in. It is a simpler system, offers better torque transfer as it is more rigid, and is lighter. If it is working right, no problem. In my case, there was a problem somehow with the bearing races in the frame.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:49 pm

nickdos wrote:Holy S#!+, Dave & his mates have one-upped their recent Black Mountain session with 43 x Mt Ainslie reps:

http://app.strava.com/activities/27390827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's just nuts. I've bonked after doing four repeats plus riding there and back... roughly four an hour for 12 hours? Where did the batteries plug in????
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:10 pm

nickdos wrote:Holy S#!+, Dave & his mates have one-upped their recent Black Mountain session with 43 x Mt Ainslie reps:

That is just insane!

mezla

Postby mezla » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Insane is a pretty strong word, but not strong enough!!!
Unfrickingbelievable... awe inspiring... demoralising lol.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked. Just set a new PB to Lake George n back: http://app.strava.com/activities/28580613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

35.3! Woot :)

Hilarious thing... coming back past Watson (doing 50+), some dude in a ute slowed down and was cheering me on hehe

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:54 pm

mezla wrote: Anyway, I'm pretty stoked. Just set a new PB to Lake George n back: http://app.strava.com/activities/28580613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

35.3! Woot :)
That's pretty huge! Well done, best I've managed in 32.5 on that ride.

Just noticed our very own mrgolf is leading the Mt Ainslie challenge with the aforementioned Dave O a very close second and then daylight to third: http://app.strava.com/challenges/Santos ... MT-Ainslie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I managed a PR and a respectable sub 12 min time but now feeling inspired to go back and improve on it.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Yeah, what is the bet there are some quicker times out there that have been made private leading up to the close of competition. I will have to get out and try and beat that time. I was surprised I got that one.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:28 am

Was that you Mr Golf on the front of the 3fidi bunch smashing it up Stromlo this morning and then overtaking me on Adelaide Ave and again on Commonwealth Ave bridge?

mezla

Postby mezla » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:29 pm

I saw 3fidi coming along Adel. Ave this morning, on my way out to setting a new Stromlo PB of 10m35s. Woot! :)

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Damn you've beaten me, will have to go out again tomorrow and try to beat that. :evil:

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Ah, must have been, Ross. Sorry. Didnt recognise you and I was running late for an appointment so was focussed. Who would have thought that coming down to lennox gardens would be quicker. Lesson learnt.

And, yeah, that was us up Stromlo as well. I saw you descending. I was playing cat and mouse with the other climber in our group. Funny morning for Stromlo. I felt like crap and didnt feel fast but I set a new PB up both the short course (8:31) and long course (9:09 having pulled out of the sprint early cos the other climber didnt have the legs for the final assault.) Could there have been tailwind? I didnt notice any on the way up.

Crappy ride every where else today. Wind was going everywhere, just like yesterday.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 am

I tried to stay with you (keep you in sight...) as I was coming off Commonwealth Ave bridge but was balked by a slow moving commuter guy who I wasn't sure if he was staying on the concrete footpath or going on the road so I lost valuable time and there was no way I could bridge to you but might of been able to stay on your wheel if it wasn't for commuter guy. Then again going on my current form probably not. I think some 95yo bloke came and swapped legs with me the other night, I wish he would come and swap them back.

mezla

Postby mezla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:01 am

Did a two man TT out to Lake George and back this morning. New PB for me (AT) 37.5kph - woulda been faster if my partner didn't conk out half way back. :twisted:

Unfortunately, most of the people listed on the Strava segment haven't actually ridden the whole segment, so rather than being 3rd, I'm 17th. Don't *reeeeallly* care, but it's a tiny bit irritating. :roll:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:11 pm

That's damned quick. I'll have to try and match it some time. New base bar arrived today so I can get the pads back under the elbows finally.

Sent from my iThingy...

mezla

Postby mezla » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:40 am

If only I had a TT bike! Or at least TT bars /jealous :D

So many things to buy, so little money... sigh 1st world problems :roll:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:56 pm

mezla wrote:If only I had a TT bike! Or at least TT bars /jealous :D

So many things to buy, so little money... sigh 1st world problems :roll:
O.K., that's extremely quick for a road bike. :shock:

mezla

Postby mezla » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Well there was two of us, so that helped a lot. I'd love to see how fast I could get there and back with a team of 4 working together. Be heaps of fun I reckon :)