Moron Motorists #3

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:06 am

Sorry Human - I have confused our discussion as I edited my response without realising that you were addressing it already. Oops.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:55 am

Kenzo wrote:
jasonc wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Left hook
I'd be claiming the lane at that point
IMO he did claim the lane, the MM was well over the lines to pass then turn back in.
:shock:
I misread it. i thought it was 2 lanes each way

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:20 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Left hook. Car begins braking hard as it gets parallel, doesn't quite get past me, then heads for the corner.
This is a perfect example of why it is worth buying an Air-Zound. Did it prevent the accident? Perhaps. Does the driver know that he screwed up? Definitely!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:29 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Left hook. Car begins braking hard as it gets parallel, doesn't quite get past me, then heads for the corner.

AZ gets some action, plus I was managing to stop in time (hard on the rear brakes - must swap AZ to left hand) if that didn't work because once they started braking it seemed there was a good chance of a left hook coming up.

Geez you've got some dumb-nuts up there in Brissie :shock: :roll:

With that centre island coming up, making the left carriageway too narrow to share safely with an overtaking car, I'd still be claiming the lane, riding where the bike logo is at 0:08, not to the left of it. Similar to the safest practice on approach to single lane roundabouts.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:46 pm

human909 wrote:

AZ gets some action, plus I was managing to stop in time (hard on the rear brakes - must swap AZ to left hand) if that didn't work because once they started braking it seemed there was a good chance of a left hook coming up.
Classic case of the "must get past syndrome". The female driver, the wide berth given and the type of car all suggest to me that the driver wasn't being deliberately rude and aggressive. She simply was not a competent driver who could not judge your speed or conclude that is was safer and sensible to wait.

In most cases I would prefer an rude & aggressive competent driver to an incompetent one. :wink:
agreed. in her mind, she just approached the intersection at normal speed, braked, then commenced turning. what else could she do? it's not her fault.. the basic concept of feathering the throttle or lifting off for a few seconds to stay behind the cyclist is beyond these drivers' skill level. i'm sure she was left wondering what went wrong.

zero

Postby zero » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Biffidus wrote:
This is a perfect example of why it is worth buying an Air-Zound. Did it prevent the accident? Perhaps. Does the driver know that he screwed up? Definitely!
If it looks anything like a choke point or an intersection, ride in the middle of the lane.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:44 pm

zero wrote:If it looks anything like a choke point or an intersection, ride in the middle of the lane.
Won't stop some of 'em, I've had them overtake on the wrong side of pedestrian islands before. :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

zero

Postby zero » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:50 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
zero wrote:If it looks anything like a choke point or an intersection, ride in the middle of the lane.
Won't stop some of 'em, I've had them overtake on the wrong side of pedestrian islands before. :roll:
Ditto, but there is only 1 thing I care about - and that is that they don't hit me, which they won't try and do if its clear they can't fit.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Agreed, but... This is a school crossing and the view of oncoming traffic is none too flash. Should an opposing move prsent at the same time, this tool is likely to unthinkingly swerve straight over the top of me. While my personal safety is paramount in how I ride, I'd hate to secore it at the cost of an innocent. You'd think that I'm able to match the speed limit in that section might make a difference...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm

bychosis wrote:
Yes scary close, and if I'm not mistaken that corner has had similar incidents previously. Time for more assertive lane claiming? or a quick side trip on the footpath?
Good memory :wink: though this one was quite closer and more brown trouser worthy

I'm leaning towards jumping onto the footpath although there's a blind driveway on the corner so I think it's just going to be a corner where I'll lose all my hard earned momentum. Meh, I'd rather lose momentum than come a cropper from one of our MM friends :P
2012 Oppy A4

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Agreed, but... This is a school crossing and the view of oncoming traffic is none too flash. Should an opposing move prsent at the same time, this tool is likely to unthinkingly swerve straight over the top of me. While my personal safety is paramount in how I ride, I'd hate to secore it at the cost of an innocent. You'd think that I'm able to match the speed limit in that section might make a difference...
I was about to say, school crossing would mean 40kmh limit when the flags are out. If such behaviour is on the cards I'd say it's time to call the boys in blue and get them to stake the road with speed cameras. A few nice fine file should blunt the tools :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:32 am

Mulger bill wrote:

Ditto, on a raised zebra crossing ourtside a Primary school at that...
2010 BMC SLC01

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Crawf wrote:
Undertow wrote:
From the footage it looked like you were already basically in the gutter.
Nope, a good metre out.
Which is still basically the gutter. Take the lane and force them to change lanes to pass.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:58 pm

Undertow wrote:
Crawf wrote:
Undertow wrote:
From the footage it looked like you were already basically in the gutter.
Nope, a good metre out.
Which is still basically the gutter.<SNIP>
:?: :?: :?:

Disagree entirely. A metre out from the gutter does not equate to in the gutter... not even "basically".

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:25 pm

can I ask a techno gumby question please - I keep clicking on these links to watch the MM drivers (i like to obviously see what you have to deal with) as well as educate myself BUT... whenever i click on the videos here and it starts to play, i only get a strip at the top and at the bottom and the video itself bit doesn't show here. Maybe it's to do with settings or something, but i can see the same shaped box and watch the timer move across the bottom of the box, except i can't watch the video - i'll see if i can post a photo to show what i mean....

(sorry if that's not clear...)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:18 pm

cp - click the button which opens the video in a new window.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Cp - it's not something you're doing wrong. It's your computer / browser. What browser are you using can you try another? Make sure your version if flash is up to date.

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:40 pm

This driver I'm sure saw me but just went anyway. Unfortunately this sort of thing happens all too frequently - after all I'm only a cyclist :roll:

http://youtu.be/65IMyiiDM4I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:55 pm

cp123 wrote: whenever i click on the videos here and it starts to play, i only get a strip at the top and at the bottom and the video itself bit doesn't show here.
CP, I've been getting the same response lately using Firefox. When it happens I just click on the 'Watch on Youtube' button, bottom right of the video screen and a new window opens with no problems
Mandatory helmet law?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:47 am

Had an interesting encounter on the way home last night, car on a cross street looks right at me & then pulls out anyway so I brake & swerve, just missing the rear of his POS car as I pass I give the driver a free & frank character assessment that he was a fairly stupid chap, or words to that effect :wink;

Apparently this MM didn't take kindly to that & met up with me shortly thereafter, asking me to repeat what I said so I did. MM protested that he had plenty of time so I pointed out that as I had to brake & swerve to avoid him that he was wrong.

When MM realised I was not going to be intimidated he drove off.

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:08 am

Postieboy wrote:This driver I'm sure saw me but just went anyway. Unfortunately this sort of thing happens all too frequently - after all I'm only a cyclist :roll:

http://youtu.be/65IMyiiDM4I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks to me like that MM pulled out in front of the oncoming white taxi too. Maybe he has just running late for his accident?

Dent.

boss

Postby boss » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:12 am

Had a close shave this morning (no video), coming into a set of lights where a bike lane disappears, car was maybe a centimeter off my bars.

Scared the crap outta me, and sure enough the lights were red and the driver was stopped in banked up traffic.

Banged on the cars window and gave them a mouthful, they were yelling back but wouldn't wind down their window when I invited them to... :roll:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:16 am

Jimboss, time to get a camera? That way you don't need to bang on the window, you just report them and it feels much better ... and is probably a lot more effective in improving their behaviour in future.

The 808 type are good enough and about $36.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:36 am

InTheWoods wrote:Jimboss, time to get a camera? That way you don't need to bang on the window, you just report them and it feels much better ... and is probably a lot more effective in improving their behaviour in future.

The 808 type are good enough and about $36.
+1

I don't go anywhere, either by car or bike without my cameras. The Jumbo's are used on the bikes and the GoPro in the car. These Jumbos and the 808's are cheap to buy, give very good results and will allow the police to see exactly what took place.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:49 am

I thought the more sensible answer was to claim the lane earlier. If the bike lane is ending then unfortunately it is usually up to you to merge appropriately.

Consider it from the motorist's point of view. I was driving along in my own lane when a cyclist merged into my lane next to me without even looking. He then had the nerve to bang like a lunatic on my window and insist it was my fault. I did nothing wrong, I was travelling at a constant speed in the centre of my lane.

(I'm not defending the motorist for a close shave. A good road user would have seen an up coming conflict and ensured that it did not occur, this applies equally to cyclists and motorists. The description given earlier suggests the rider did not check for oncoming traffic nor take action to ensure no conflict.)