Chipped rim

Loose_head

Chipped rim

Postby Loose_head » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi

I have just bought a second hand Oppy C6 with Team 30 Vision rims, I love it and it was a great deal.

This morning I must have hit something major and I have chipped the front rim, not a big chip but rough enough to cause a blown hole in the new tube I put in and the tyre.

The rim is not cracked, can I just sand it down smooth or do I have to replace?

Thanks
Scott

greyhoundtom

Re: Chipped rim

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:30 am

Hi Scott, welcome to BNA.

It’s difficult to advice not being able to see the actual damage to the rim, if the damage is just to the breaking surface of the rim sanding the area smooth should be OK, but may affect the wearing of the brake pad on that side.

However if it involves damage to the actual rim edge of the wheel in the area that holds the tyre bead in place, replacing the wheel may be the safest option.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:49 am

Having hit hundreds of potholes, jumped curbs and ridden down stairs on 23mm tyres without issues I would say rather than hitting something major it is more likely that your tyres were under inflated.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Loose_head wrote:Hi

I have just bought a second hand Oppy C6 with Team 30 Vision rims, I love it and it was a great deal.

This morning I must have hit something major and I have chipped the front rim, not a big chip but rough enough to cause a blown hole in the new tube I put in and the tyre.

The rim is not cracked, can I just sand it down smooth or do I have to replace?

Thanks
Scott
Can you post some pictures up of the damage? Is the wheel still straight?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Loose_head

Postby Loose_head » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi

Thanks for the responses.

Here is a picture. Once I slept on it I realized that what must have happened is that I caught the edge of something that pinched the tyre and nicked the outside of the rim. When i replaced the tube, the damaged wall of the tyre let the new tube inflate until it went pop as well.

I will replace the tyre and see what happens. It may have been under-inflated, I remember hitting the rock but the blowout didn't happen until 15 minutes later.

I have been away all weekend, so no riding.

Thanks
Scott