6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

breezer1

Re: 6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Postby breezer1 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:14 am

congrats to everyone that has achieved there goal this year already and those that will at the end of this month, been a good year broke the two goals i set , into the 9000's km for the year so pretty happy with that :D the latest edition Giant TCR Aero has helped the motivation... the best $250 i spent this year for a bike! :lol:

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:49 pm

93kms for me this morning with Sam. That 9,000 for the year.

http://app.strava.com/activities/30329613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At one point Sam punctured. We fixed it and he took off. I was just taking off, looked up and Sam had stopped and I slipped on the pedal and it slammed into my shin.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Ouch! Metal pedals are like tow bars. May they never meet your shin...

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Congratulations everyone on doing so much great riding in all sorts of conditions! I've got to do about 677 to make the 6k goal this year and while I'm pretty sure I won't get there I am going to give it a go. A few events have dented my confidence of late however once I decide on something I don't give up easily. So I really should stop whinging...and keep riding :)

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:59 pm

breezer1 wrote:congrats to everyone that has achieved there goal this year already and those that will at the end of this month, been a good year broke the two goals i set , into the 9000's km for the year so pretty happy with that :D the latest edition Giant TCR Aero has helped the motivation... the best $250 i spent this year for a bike! :lol:
Are you kidding??? you paid $250 for this bike?? do tell the story?
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:29 pm

lovemybike wrote:Congratulations everyone on doing so much great riding in all sorts of conditions! I've got to do about 677 to make the 6k goal this year and while I'm pretty sure I won't get there I am going to give it a go. A few events have dented my confidence of late however once I decide on something I don't give up easily. So I really should stop whinging...and keep riding :)

Go for it Julie, you can do it!!

I think there's only you and I left of the girls here in the 6k club...don't let the side down :wink:

Unless we get loads of rain I think that I will make my revised goal of 9k...how far into the 9's I can get remains to be seen... :roll:
Lisa

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Rode the Berrima 200 today with BLC and sblack amongst the cast.

I was worried about the forecast 35-38 degrees across the ride route and was surprised to be met with rain and mild temperatures before the start in the morning. So surprised in fact that I left my garmin attached to the computer and spent most of the day looking at the mount wondering where I was, how fast I was going and whether I was about to have a heart attack.

We lucked out with the weather in what was a pretty difficult day elsewhere, the early rain and cloud cover for the first 100km gave us an edge on the second hundred where things got a bit warmer for a while before the evening began to cool. The salt stains on our nicks and gloves told a story, as did the Bidon showers at the end of the ride.

Coming down Macquarie Pass near the end we were treated to the spectacle of a stuck truck on a hairpin which had completely blocked the road. Luckily we were able to crawl under it with our bikes and enjoy a hassle free descent.

There were 7 starters for the ride and everyone made it. As the ride organiser it was particularly pleasing to see 3 people record their first 200km ride, so congratulations to them. Great to see people pushing their limits and achieving goals!

Todays ride leaves me with about 220km to go to reach my 6006 goal for the year.

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks for organising the ride Grant. My Garmin had the average temperature at 30.4 and topping out at 41.0 around Berrima. I'm guessing that was at the point where the tyres where causing the popping sounds as the rolled over the bitumen.

Time for a bit of a November wrap up. I had too monthly goals, the first being to complete the Highland Fling with a secondary goal of doing it in under 10 hours. Completing with an official time of 8:58:14 I had that one nicely under control. The second goal was for the following weekend being to complete the BMC 79 mile challenge which I managed to do and along the way passing the 6000 m climbing for the month and the 6999 km goal for the year. I then decided to up my yearly goal to 8000 km which seams doable but will still need a good December, finishing December with my bar telling me I'm 125 km behind, requiring 741 km in December. Despite nearly a week off the bike ill I managed 656.1 km and 9552 m of climbing for November. I also had the pleasure of finishing the month off with my first ride with Noah, on his own bike that is. Previously he'd only done a few short rides where I'd walked and jogged along with him but with a new 16 inch bike for his birthday he was ready to have me ride along with him. I rode down to day care with Alex to pick him up and from there we rode to little As. When he'd finished he told me he wanted to ride home so we headed off towards home. I let him lead the way and he decided to take us the long way and was having a blast riding around obstacles just to have some more fun. He managed to clock up about 8 km before hitting our hill and walking up.

December got off to a healthy start today with Grant's Berrima 200. Got me back on track for the 8000 km as well as taking me past last year's totals for both distance ridden and metres climbed and carving a decent chunk out of December's 6000 m target.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:42 am

Mustang wrote:
breezer1 wrote:congrats to everyone that has achieved there goal this year already and those that will at the end of this month, been a good year broke the two goals i set , into the 9000's km for the year so pretty happy with that :D the latest edition Giant TCR Aero has helped the motivation... the best $250 i spent this year for a bike! :lol:
Are you kidding??? you paid $250 for this bike?? do tell the story?
yes unbelievable, i wasn't really looking to buy another bike, when i spotted this on gumtree here in newcastle, rang and found out that the bike was bought new in 2002 by a lady that was going to try a few triathalons... but it never happened and the bike was hung up in the garage, thats where it stayed until she decided it was time to sell, the frame and bike is unmarked, as it never got on the road except for a few km since new, it even has the team once logo embedded in the frame, as my local bike mechanic/shop told me! they were limited edition frames made especially for them, all shimano 105 gearing and the only thing i changed was the tyres and a compact 50x34 105 crank, i was not keen on the original 52x39. I reckon it was the best buy of cycling gear i bought in 2012 :D

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:47 am

Third time in less than two weeks I've nearly been hit by a car while in a roundabout - and it's making me very nervous. Each time I've been in the roundabout and they've entered and either just not seen me or not cared and I've had to veer away - or get hit. Not sure whether its the time of year or me or what?! Felt I needed to vent to bike people because car people just look at me blankly (and enter the roundabout...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:55 am

Hopefully these things only come in threes Julie.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:30 pm

grt046 wrote:Hopefully these things only come in threes Julie.

That's what I was hoping as well!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:18 pm

lovemybike wrote:Third time in less than two weeks I've nearly been hit by a car while in a roundabout - and it's making me very nervous. Each time I've been in the roundabout and they've entered and either just not seen me or not cared and I've had to veer away - or get hit. Not sure whether its the time of year or me or what?! Felt I needed to vent to bike people because car people just look at me blankly (and enter the roundabout...).

Ouch, yep that would dent your confidence a bit...roundabouts are the devils work when you're on a bike, hate the things!
We spent a week at Noosa last month and the place is filled with them.... :roll: had a couple of close calls myself that week :evil:
Lisa

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:16 pm

About 450kms for me this month. I think I may have to revise my goal down to 6000kms.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:00 am

November was a bit down for me at 340km but then I did have another health setback. All clear now and 600 to go to hit the target. Should be able to make it.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 am

I should add that I have managed to keep my climbing average over 1% which I'm very happy with.

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:34 am

DaveOZ wrote:I should add that I have managed to keep my climbing average over 1% which I'm very happy with.

Good effort Dave. Nearly impossible for me given it is as flat as a 8 year old girls chest around here.

899.5kms to go for me to hit 10,000km for the year.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:38 pm

oldnewby wrote:Well done to everyone who are ahead of their targets, and especially to those who've already reached them - great efforts.
As I've said a few times, this forum is a fantastic motivator, and the banter and advice is always appreciated.

I was hoping to get out this morning for one last ride for Nov, but alas - work. So here's my month.
15 rides (ytd 136)
631.05km (ytd 5829.58)
8091 meters climbed. Nov is my first full month using Strava, so ytd figure I had is incorrect. I'd say my actual year is somewhere between 60000-70000 metres.
Highlights for Nov were climbing Lake Mountain, and doing the Eastlink ride.

Looking forward to the last month of my first full year of cycling, and wondering what my target next year should be!
Thanks again everyone, keep up the great riding.
Nice work Oldnewby!!!

That is an awful lot of climbing, but out your way on the weekend and realise why. we had the bikes with us and MOST of the cycling gear (I forgot to include Mrs C+W's SPD-SL shoes :() Found a bike shop at Narre Warren and bought some spare pedals and toe clips. Looked up MapMyRide for suggestions and settled on a 40km loop from Berwick up to Emerald and back via Harkaway. Worried that we were about to find ourselves at the foot of a huge climb as ALL the bikes we saw were going in the opposite direction :) It really is a very nice part of the world!

A big shout out for Cafe Red Box in Emerald-great lamb wrap, salad and tatziki (souvlaki by any other name), huge slabs of cake to help us descend and very good coffee (9-9.5/10). Finished the afternoon off by climbing the 1 in 20 for the first time; have long admired all the climbs on the Climbing Cyclist but worried how much of a struggle they might be. My time won't break any records 28:47 but very happy to have managed it.

Oldnewby, was your Lake Mountain climb part of the 7 Peaks Domestique series loosely coordinated by Climbing Cyclist? read the review and was disappointed i had missed it, not sure how I would go with the 7 Peaks. how did you find it?

Will have to lift my game this week, we are neck a neck on YTD km.

Happy riding.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:53 pm

lovemybike wrote:Congratulations everyone on doing so much great riding in all sorts of conditions! I've got to do about 677 to make the 6k goal this year and while I'm pretty sure I won't get there I am going to give it a go. A few events have dented my confidence of late however once I decide on something I don't give up easily. So I really should stop whinging...and keep riding :)
Have a crack at it Julie, you are so close. Small goals of 150km per week and knock over whatever is left in any time off over Christmas. Good luck with it and keep us posted on progress at the end of the week.

cheers!
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:26 am

Julie, I think it's the time of year that drivers just are more impatient and/or paying less attention to what they're doing. I've noticed an increase in the number of people pulling out on me both while I'm on the bike and in the car. I've also noticed a marked increase in the number of emergency vehicles I see heading places in the last few weeks. Your goal is still within reach though, just going to take a consistent month to get there.

Norbs, I've downloaded the podcast to have a listen to when I have a bit more time, looking forward to having a listen. Was going to comment that you're starting to become a media personality and is this your new profession when I noticed on your blog you had a job interview, how'd it go?

Dave, top effort for your year so far, good to see you're still within reach of your goal despite the health setbacks. Not surprised at the rate of climbing given the nature of the terrain up your way but it does make the getting back on the bike that more impressive as there isn't many easy options to ease back into it.

Oldnewby, impressive first year back on the bike. Regardless of strava/bikely accuracy it's still a decent amount of climbing.

Thought I'd try and give a bit of a ride report on the Berrima ride from Saturday. My story really begins on the Friday night when I failed to stick to my plan. I was about to go get the bike ready when my wife suggested I just sit down with the family as they watch a movie, the kids will be asleep soon and I can go get the bike ready then. Sounded good in theory but was flawed in practice as I happened to be the one to fall asleep first. It meant waking up in the morning and trying to get everything ready in a bit more of a rush than I'd have liked. All going ok until I decided to check my saddle bag for my reflective belt that was required due to the ride's allowable time extending beyond sunset. It wasn't there so it was off to searching before I found it buried away in another bag that I'd used 7 months earlier when I'd done my last 300km ride.

So I had everything ready, just enough time left to get to the start in time and started to wheel my bike out. It was strangely difficult to push, like a brake was stuck on. Tried spinning the rear wheel, all ok. Now the front, something wasn't right. It was the brakes though. Then I noticed the fork mounted light I'd attached about half an hour earlier was in the right spot.. and one of the rubber straps that was meant to be holding it on was down and wrapped in around the hub as well as being cut in half. I have a feeling when putting it on I'd wrapped the strap around a spoke as well as the fork.

So it was back into the garage to grab another strap and by the time I finally got to leave I was well behind my planned departure time. As I did the calculations on the way I realised I wouldn't make the ride start time so a quick call to let Grant know. I would have been happy for them to head off and to maybe catch up at the first checkpoint but he decided to delay the start for me so when I arrived at Dapto station I was greeted by the other six riders for the day and we head off about 5 minutes late. Considering a forecast of high thirties and potential thunderstorms seven riders was a very good turnout for the ride. The start of the ride was backtracking my ride to the start as we headed back through Albion Park on our way to Macquarie Pass. The temperature was already warm for so early in the day, a warning of what we might expect for the rest of the day.

Usually on the local Audax rides, with a climb of the escarpment early on, the group tends to break up reasonably early. The undulating climb from Albion Park, deceptive in just how much climbing you actually do, is often where things start to break up but today the group was holding together. Whatever manages to stay together usually comes apart fairly quickly once reaching the pass. With the first two kilometres being the steepest section it's generally a case of finding your own climbing pace and letting others do the same then catching up with them later at the first checkpoint. That just wasn't happening today, with Grant setting the pace everyone just followed for the first 1500m or so before Mark went past and was the first rider to start moving away from the group. A little later and Harvey went past. It was a bit further on, after a steep pinch on a turn when I found myself on the inside and making my way past Grant. It was about this point in the climb when I'd say I was feeling pretty good. While my legs where feeling the climb it was both a pain and climb I was familiar with and the rhythm I found myself in was an instinctive thing that fit somewhere within the realm between comfortable and pushing hard. I was also entering the area of the climb where I am most glad I have the triple crankset. It's the area where the gradient changes match nicely with the closer spacing of the casette that the triple allows me to get away with. Harvey's gearing doesn't appear anywhere near as friendly for him as on the steeper sections I can see him struggle as I catch him while each time the road flattened a little he'd go flying past looking much more comfortable. I'd later find out his gearing was compromised at both ends. Not only was his lowest gear a little too tall on the steeper sections but his front derailleur also refused to change into the big ring meaning he'd also have to spin like crazy during other sections of the day. Certainly making a tough day even tougher for him but regardless, as the top half of the Pass sees the gradient dropping off he disappeared off ahead and then Terry also went sailing past and before long I was in the familiar Audax position of riding along my own somewhere in the middle of the pack. While it had taken longer than usual I expected that most of the ride would now be like this, meeting up with the others at checkpoints and maybe riding along with them for short sections along the way but predominantly riding solo or possibly find one other rider moving along at a similar pace to stick with for a while.

more to come when I have some time to continue writing.....
Last edited by sblack on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:56 am

sblack wrote: Norbs, I've downloaded the podcast to have a listen to when I have a bit more time, looking forward to having a listen. Was going to comment that you're starting to become a media personality and is this your new profession when I noticed on your blog you had a job interview, how'd it go?

I'm not holding my breath, put it that way. The guy leading the panel is a bloke I knew 25 years ago. We were pretty good mates. I was even better mates with his sister. It all ended badly. So my hopes aren't high. :)

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 am

norbs wrote:I'm not holding my breath, put it that way. The guy leading the panel is a bloke I knew 25 years ago. We were pretty good mates. I was even better mates with his sister. It all ended badly. So my hopes aren't high. :)
So media personality it is then :)

Getting back to my report... As I was getting towards the end of the pass I had started to feel a little hungry. Not a good sign for so early in a 200, have to have a decent feed at the Fitzroy Falls stop rather than waiting for a later stop I figure. Only 20kms to make it there so a gel should get me through until then. After the main section of the pass Mark and Terry had stopped to wait for others to catch up and further ahead Harvey had pulled into the pie shop so as I pushed on towards the first official stop I was now ahead of the group. The temperature has dropped nicely up in the highlands and the riding was quite pleasant on the way into Fitzroy Falls. I noticed some markings along the way that seamed to be directing me along the route. Strange, I thought. Grant hadn't gone out the day before and marked the turns had he? No he hadn't, they didn't all go the right way so there was obvioulsy some other event on at some stage.

Arriving at the visitors centre I ordered a big breakfast to hopefully sustain me through the next section of the ride and get ride of the hunger that was creeping in. Well big was an understatement. A large dinner plate loaded with bacon, sausages, a couple of eggs, tomatoe and chips and then a seperate plate and bowl with baked beans and toast. It was lucky I'd arrived ahead of the group because it would take some time to get through all that.

During the stop, as others came and went, some other riders also came along and commented on a large group of riders in matching kit that they'd just seen. That would explain the markings out on the road, later I'd find out Cadel was out leading a charity ride around the area. Although our routes would cross several times during the day I never did see his group.....
Last edited by sblack on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:20 am

Ahh the memories. Can't wait to relive the freeway in the sun.

Seems that the bikejournal progress bar has stalled. Anyone know why? Thinking I might jump ship to the strava one.

grt046

Postby grt046 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:50 am

Not sure Grant as I jumped ship earlier in the year but I still log my data. Trying to sort the club stats has been coming up with a runtime error for a few days which may be the reason.
Graeme

Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Yes looks like a table's gone bad somewhere. Can anyone point me to the instructions for the strava bar (as opposed to the veloviwer)?