Modern Record Derailleur On Vintage Frame

DanH

Modern Record Derailleur On Vintage Frame

Postby DanH » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi All,

I'm helping a mate build a 1982 Gianni Motta frame up with modern components, however we hit a bit of a snag. We went to mount a modern Campagnolo Record 10 speed derailluer, except the pivot bolt thread doesn't match that of the hanger. Is it possible to get a compatible pivot bolt, or will we need to modify the hanger?

Thanks in advance!

drubie

Re: Modern Record Derailleur On Vintage Frame

Postby drubie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:35 pm

DanH wrote:Hi All,

I'm helping a mate build a 1982 Gianni Motta frame up with modern components, however we hit a bit of a snag. We went to mount a modern Campagnolo Record 10 speed derailluer, except the pivot bolt thread doesn't match that of the hanger. Is it possible to get a compatible pivot bolt, or will we need to modify the hanger?

Thanks in advance!
Got a photo of the dropout in question?

I don't think you can replace the derailleur hanger bolt in a campagnolo derailleur without getting some machining done - bit of a toss up whether you're better off fiddling with the derailleur or the frame.

It would seem unusual that the bolt size would be different on a 1982 frame - all three big manufacturers (campag, suntour, shimano) had pretty much settled on the "campagnolo" standard by then. If the bolt is too small, you might find the hanger is also missing the little tab that is required to keep the derailleur tension right as well.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

DanH

Postby DanH » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Got a photo of the dropout in question?

I don't think you can replace the derailleur hanger bolt in a campagnolo derailleur without getting some machining done - bit of a toss up whether you're better off fiddling with the derailleur or the frame.

It would seem unusual that the bolt size would be different on a 1982 frame - all three big manufacturers (campag, suntour, shimano) had pretty much settled on the "campagnolo" standard by then. If the bolt is too small, you might find the hanger is also missing the little tab that is required to keep the derailleur tension right as well.
Thanks very much for the response. Here is a picture of the hanger in question.

The bolt on the derailleur is actually slightly too big for the hole.

Here is deconstructed view of the bike

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Was the frame repainted or rechromed? Has the thread been tapped?
I ask this because on my last bike build I was having no luck getting an 11 speed Athena derailleur bolt to attach to the derailleur hanger on a new steel frame.
I had an old Shimano tri colour derailleur in the box of bits and tried to attach that and it went straight on. Removed it and then the Campagnolo derailleur screwed on with ease.
I figure something about the Shimano bolt meant it could screw on more easily and tapped the thread, which probably just had paint in the thread.
Good luck that'll be an awesome bike!
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

DanH

Postby DanH » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm

humanbeing wrote:Was the frame repainted or rechromed? Has the thread been tapped?
From what I understand the frame is original, although I can't rule out the possibility it has been rechromed. I'll try what you suggested with an ultegra derailleur that I have, otherwise I'll see if I can get my hands on a 10x1 tap to confirm the thread is correct.

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:45 pm

DanH wrote:
humanbeing wrote:Was the frame repainted or rechromed? Has the thread been tapped?
From what I understand the frame is original, although I can't rule out the possibility it has been rechromed. I'll try what you suggested with an ultegra derailleur that I have, otherwise I'll see if I can get my hands on a 10x1 tap to confirm the thread is correct.
100% it's the right size but you can tell by the little tension tab underneath that there is far too much chrome on there - clean it out with a rubbish derailleur bolt first. It looks like it's never been built up since it was chromed to me (rechrome job?).

IMHO a tap is probably the neatest way to fix it but a bolt you don't care about + WD40 will sort it in short order.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

DanH

Postby DanH » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks guys for your help!

munga

Postby munga » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 pm

you should start a build thread in the retro section, mate. looks awesome!
what rims and handlebar did you choose?