Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

MichaelB

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:17 pm

nickobec wrote:
kirky92au wrote:Has anyone bought a group set from one of these Chinese dealers, surely they aren't legitimate but how do they actually go?
Bought a Microshift Arsis mini groupset (shifters, FD, RD) via Velobuild from YishuinBike
commonly quote about Arsis wrote:Durace weight at a 105 price
I would add 105 quality (ie not the very best, but pretty decent), I am impressed by the action of the shifters

Have yet to use them in anger, decided to use them on my climbing bike which needs a few little things sorted.

What is the weight of the components ? Price for the bits and pics please :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:58 pm

/\ What he said...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:10 pm

glennoqld wrote:Hi Kyle, with the new sun rims, is the only difference the high temperature breaking surface? or is the whole rim stronger (more layers etc)? Interested to know what else changed from the standard M series.
Also on this site (below) you've got N,P,M,S series. Can you tell us a bit about how they are all different?
http://farsports.en.alibaba.com/product ... ncher.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi Glennoqld, the rims used for "Sun Wheels" are completely new, yeah, except the high temperature durable brake difference, the rims are about 20g-30g/pc heavier than version of basalt. These are for the strong wheels.

M: our ultralight series.
N: our common version.
P: with PU form code inside.
S: high temperature durable version.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 pm

MichaelB wrote:What is the weight of the components ? Price for the bits and pics please :D
Microshift Arsis
Shifters 388g
RD 198g
FD 68g

285USD including shipping and "paypal fee" via groupbuy on velobuild from yishunbike

photos on weekend

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:10 am

nickobec wrote:
MichaelB wrote:What is the weight of the components ? Price for the bits and pics please :D
Microshift Arsis
Shifters 388g
RD 198g
FD 68g

285USD including shipping and "paypal fee" via groupbuy on velobuild from yishunbike

photos on weekend
Cheers.

Be interesting to hear your feedback once you get them installed and used to them.

One drawback is the gear (or is it brake ?) cables in fresh air like the prev Gen Shimano.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:28 am

MichaelB wrote:
nickobec wrote:
Microshift Arsis
Shifters 388g
RD 198g
FD 68g

photos on weekend
Cheers.

Be interesting to hear your feedback once you get them installed and used to them.

One drawback is the gear (or is it brake ?) cables in fresh air like the prev Gen Shimano.
Yep external cabling, I would have given them a shot by now if they could be routed underbar. So mid 2000's :roll:

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:19 am

Hey Kylefoo,

A lot of people are reporting great difficulty in getting the tyres on and off your rims. It is just do-able while at home in the garage, but very difficult while out on the road. Has Farsports loked into this? It seems your M series road wheels are almost too big. Even a 1 mm reduction in rim diameter would help to fix this problem.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:00 am

Arlberg wrote:A lot of people are reporting great difficulty in getting the tyres on and off your rims. It is just do-able while at home in the garage, but very difficult while out on the road.
I disagree, it is difficult to fit most brand new tyres to new M series rims using standard tools.

On recommendation of one of the guys on velobuild I purchased a "Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack" from amazon (less than $20 delivered), made the fitting of new set of Conti Attack/Force to my 2nd set of M rims (50mm R & 60mm F) so much easier than the same tyres to my first set of M rims (38mm) with standard tools.

Had put about 1000km on the Force/38mm when punctured. Had about 2500km on the Force/50mm, punctured, changed the tube 3 times (when riding with 50mm rims carry 60mm tubes lesson) In both cases I had to use tyre levers, but it was done with minimal effort on the side of the PSP

So I do not see a need for FarSports to change their rims, buyers need to be aware new tyres on new rims can be difficult with standard tools, but with a few miles on the tyres/wheels, there is not the same issue the tyres stretch.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Hmmm,

Just wondering about the weight of some riders.
I weigh a little less than 60kg, So I always thought I would get blown around a fair bit,

Can anyone else relate to this?

Thanks

ray

Postby ray » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:11 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:Hmmm,

I weigh a little less than 60kg, So I always thought I would get blown around a fair bit,

Thanks
I'm between 58 and 63kg (63kg at the moment - still working off the winter fat). I have a set of the Farsport 50mm CMs. I haven't been in any really heavy crosswinds but found that I got blown around more/less stable with these (likely because of the v shape) vs my Flo 60 which was very stable in heavy crosswinds even more so than my standard 23mm clinchers.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:48 pm

ray wrote:
mattwilkinson wrote:Hmmm,

Thanks
I'm between 58 and 63kg (63kg at the moment - still working off the winter fat). I have a set of the Farsport 50mm CMs. I haven't been in any really heavy crosswinds but found that I got blown around more/less stable with these (likely because of the v shape) vs my Flo 60 which was very stable in heavy crosswinds even more so than my standard 23mm clinchers.

Do you think I would be fine with 38mm fronts and 50/60 rear?

southeastD

Postby southeastD » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Has anyone seen, touched or heard of these GRP Superlight Alloy wheels from Cycling Deal?

AU$249.00 for 1380 grams seems dirt cheap compared to Prolite Bracciano.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/grp-s ... er/A200-FR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SL 200 Alloy race wheelset.
22mm deep lightweight rims
Super light GRP sealed bearing hubs
Front Hub: GRP Sealed Bearing, 20 holes, Super light alloy; Size: M9x100x108mm
Rear Hub: GRP sealed bearing, 24 holes, Super light alloy; Size: M10x100x140mm
Compatible cassettes: Shimano or Sram 8/9/10 Speed
Nipples: Light Aluminium
Spokes: GRP Stainless steel
Applications: Road racing
Weight: 1380grams a set (including hub spokes and rims ) Front Wheel : 624g (Shimano Dura ace WH-7850:649g) ; Rear Wheel: 794g (WH-7850: 865g)
Package: On front wheel, one rear wheel, two rim tapes and two skewers
Rider weight limit: 200 lbs
Made in Taiwan
Warranty: One year

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 am

southeastD wrote:Has anyone seen, touched or heard of these GRP Superlight Alloy wheels from Cycling Deal?

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/grp-s ... er/A200-FR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SL 200 Alloy race wheelset.
22mm deep lightweight rims
Super light GRP sealed bearing hubs
Front Hub: GRP Sealed Bearing, 20 holes, Super light alloy; Size: M9x100x108mm
Rear Hub: GRP sealed bearing, 24 holes, Super light alloy; Size: M10x100x140mm
Compatible cassettes: Shimano or Sram 8/9/10 Speed
Nipples: Light Aluminium
Spokes: GRP Stainless steel
Applications: Road racing
Weight: 1380grams a set (including hub spokes and rims ) Front Wheel : 624g (Shimano Dura ace WH-7850:649g) ; Rear Wheel: 794g (WH-7850: 865g)
Package: On front wheel, one rear wheel, two rim tapes and two skewers
Rider weight limit: 200 lbs
Made in Taiwan
Warranty: One year
Personally I'd only buy those if you were a lightweight, I can't be 100% sure but they appear to be Kinlin XR200 rims which are light but quite flexy.
Coupled with 20/24 spokes does not make for a great foundation for a wheelset unless you're a weight weenie and not putting out to much power.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:30 pm

southeastD wrote:Has anyone seen, touched or heard of these GRP Superlight Alloy wheels from Cycling Deal?

They are cheaper than Bracciano's, which is about where the comparison starts and ends.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

KL.

Postby KL. » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 am

jacks1071 wrote:
They are cheaper than Bracciano's, which is about where the comparison starts and ends.
Hi jacks1071, what does 'which is about where the comparison starts and ends' between the Prolite Bracciano and GRP Superlight, mean :-)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:01 pm

KL. wrote: Hi jacks1071, what does 'which is about where the comparison starts and ends' between the Prolite Bracciano and GRP Superlight, mean :-)
They aint comparable (in his opinion and experience).

Price and weigtht isn't everything.

I don't buy the claim that they are DA quality though. But that is my opinion.

southeastD

Postby southeastD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm

What do we expect a Prolite dealer to say "Those GRP Super Light wheels are better than our Braccianos"? :)

I am a pretty light rider - 72kg, I don't generate a lot of leg power so need something very light. If anyone see lighter wheels around, please let me know.

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Anyone know what frame the FM069 is? I cant work out what design its from?

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:22 pm

jacks1071 wrote:

The rim is a Kinlin XR-200, its a light rim, thats the only selling point. They are quite flimsy, however the low weight makes up for that. If I were anymore than 65kg I wouldn't trust those wheels too much, however for a lighter rider they should serve well. 200lbs looks way to hopeful to me, unless they are using some ridiculously spaced extremely tall flanges (which they are not). The reason why Shimano can get away with a lower spoke count on a rim that is just as light (RS80, DA C24) is mainly because of their good flange spacings. Low spoke count wheels either need a stout rim or good flange spacings (if you were wondering, the Cdeal wheels have neither). FWIW, a set of XR-200 laced 24/28 to some mediocre spaced medium flanges are reportedly flexy for a strong 75kg rider. At 72kg I would suggest a more stout rim like the XR-270, XC-279 or the XR-300 I would suggest 20/24 as a minimum provided that the flange spacings are fairly generous. IIRC Cyclingdeal had a different set using the XR-300 rim (they are sold out now), they would be a much better comparison to the Bracciano in terms of performance.

just my 2c, hope it helps

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 pm

usernameforme wrote:
The rim is a Kinlin XR-200, its a light rim, thats the only selling point. They are quite flimsy, however the low weight makes up for that. If I were anymore than 65kg I wouldn't trust those wheels too much, however for a lighter rider they should serve well. 200lbs looks way to hopeful to me, unless they are using some ridiculously spaced extremely tall flanges (which they are not). The reason why Shimano can get away with a lower spoke count on a rim that is just as light (RS80, DA C24) is mainly because of their good flange spacings. Low spoke count wheels either need a stout rim or good flange spacings (if you were wondering, the Cdeal wheels have neither). FWIW, a set of XR-200 laced 24/28 to some mediocre spaced medium flanges are reportedly flexy for a strong 75kg rider. At 72kg I would suggest a more stout rim like the XR-270, XC-279 or the XR-300 I would suggest 20/24 as a minimum provided that the flange spacings are fairly generous. IIRC Cyclingdeal had a different set using the XR-300 rim (they are sold out now), they would be a much better comparison to the Bracciano in terms of performance.

just my 2c, hope it helps
Can you please enlighten us (me) as to when and how you became a wheel guru? Because its not that long ago you were entertaining us all with the noobiest of nooby posts like this.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 19#p714919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Well I got fascinated by these things, and being injured does gives you alot of time for these things... Steep learning curve?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:33 am

southeastD wrote:What do we expect a Prolite dealer to say "Those GRP Super Light wheels are better than our Braccianos"? :)

I am a pretty light rider - 72kg, I don't generate a lot of leg power so need something very light. If anyone see lighter wheels around, please let me know.
Lets see. Round spokes, shallow box section rim, hubs and bearings of unknown quality. They don't look like anything special to me.

The Bracciano will be a faster, stiffer, more reliable wheel everyday of the week.

Don't think a 70kg rider won't break/buckle a flimsy wheel, the money you save will soon be burned up in service costs.

I can understand sometimes you need to try things for yourself so if you think they are a good thing grab them and let us know how you got on 6000kms down the road.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

toppity

Postby toppity » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:55 am

you tend to get what you pay for I reckon (to some degree), even relatively speaking when talking about Chinese componentry. I'd be buggered if I'd put a set of $249 wheels under me.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:28 am

toppity wrote:you tend to get what you pay for I reckon (to some degree), even relatively speaking when talking about Chinese componentry. I'd be buggered if I'd put a set of $249 wheels under me.
Well my Aksiums were $200 new but they're just very heavy, if anything a lot more sturdy than a set of light wheels. So I guess the comment should be buggered if I'd put a set of $249 wheels that weigh under 1800 grams under me :P

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:42 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Round spokes
nothing wrong with that, Sapim Race spokes, DT competition are quality spokes (note that this wheel uses "house-brand" spokes... they look like Pillar's to me, I've personally had good experiences with their spokes)
jacks1071 wrote:shallow box section rim

ala Mavic Ksyrium (yes that is apples to pears a bit...)
jacks1071 wrote:hubs and bearings of unknown quality
I might just be lucky, but the cheap hubs I've bought are pretty nice for the price (Bitex and Novatec) Nothing like Alchemy's or Tune hubs but they work. Not sure how lucky you'll get with those hubs though...
jacks1071 wrote:Don't think a 70kg rider won't break/buckle a flimsy wheel
FWIW: 75kg rider, same rim, 24/28 CX-Rays on Dati hubs, finds it flexy and is often popping spokes.

For the record, I'm not trying to pick apart your post Jacks1071, just offering another viewpoint