How do you report a dodgy KOM in Strava?

Ross

How do you report a dodgy KOM in Strava?

Postby Ross » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Not the segment, but a rider. I had KOM for a segment and some guy has beaten me with a speed of 112km/h for a 1.9km distance and 4.7% gradient! Looks to me like he put his bike in the car and forgot to turn off the Garmin. So how do you report that?

Edit: Posted in wrong section sorry :oops:
Psst, fixed :wink:
Last edited by Mulger bill on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Relocation

Marty Moose

Re: How do you report a dodgy KOM in Strava?

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Go to his ride, on the right there is a flag ride tab. Could also drop a hint on his comments,"well done on your 112km kom maybe you need to address it a bit."

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:13 pm

OK, did see that Flag thing but wasn't sure if it was to flag the segment as dangerous.
Edit: Using the Flag button does flag the segment as dangerous which isn't what I want to do.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:47 pm

There is one for the whole ride just not the segment, from the segment click go to ride or back to ride button. Then click flag ride. Don't have pc in front of me but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:27 pm

I dubiously earnt one on the eastlink ride. seems strava thought as I was approaching one of the tunnels at 73km/h it pegged me on a segment above ground. My previous best time on that segment was 1:26, now its 18 seconds :oops: can I get rid of it? mind you I have that few kom's its kinda nice 8)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

dougalh

Postby dougalh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Anyone have any idea how to do it on Mapmyride? I had the second fastest time in a course and I then discovered the fasted time average 92Km/h..

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:53 pm

You flag the ride for an unrealistic speed on the actual persons page, you flag the segment on the segment page if it is dangerous.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks for the reminder Ross. I'll drive a bit slower next time. ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:16 pm

There's 2 segments in Brissie that the top 3 or 4 riders average 1100kph (yep eleven hundred kilometres per hour),
if I just keep riding them eventually I'll get good enough to beat them.

Use it as motivation, who gives a rat's @rse if you've got a kom or not, it's just strava FFS, go & race, that'll mean
something, rather than worrying about a strava time.

If it kills you that much, put your smartphone or whatever in the car, risk a speeding fine & beat his time.

Or just be happy in the knowledge that you've done your best.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:40 am

Thanks for your concern Wal42, I'm not that worried about it, it's the principle. I earned the KOM fair and square, no drugs, no motorised assistance, just me and my legs.
As for motivation, it's actually an anti-motivator because the time is not acheivable on a bike, by anyone.
I have no intention of going for a drive in my car with my Garmin just to try and beat his time. What a stupid thing to do, the purpose of Strava is for fitness when running or cycling, not for sitting in a car.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Stravas help desk on reporting false KOMs
https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2095 ... se-kom-qom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Wal42 wrote:There's 2 segments in Brissie that the top 3 or 4 riders average 1100kph (yep eleven hundred kilometres per hour),

Use it as motivation, who gives a rat's @rse if you've got a kom or not, it's just strava FFS, go & race, that'll mean

If it kills you that much, put your smartphone or whatever in the car, risk a speeding fine & beat his time.

I dont agree with any of this. Why do you use Strava if racing means so much more? Motivation is having achieved a KOM that you have set out to do and when the time comes that somebody beats you legitimately, you get back on your bike and try again. I've never used the smartphone app so maybes its a lot easier to forget to turn it off, but I find it hard to believe people dont check out their rides after, and not notice that they have a cheated their way to a KOM and then just leave it there. Ive reported a heap of these and I think its time Strava became a bit proactive and banned people who keep on uploading dodgy rides.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:15 pm

danny the boy wrote:
Wal42 wrote:There's 2 segments in Brissie that the top 3 or 4 riders average 1100kph (yep eleven hundred kilometres per hour),

I dont agree with any of this. Why do you use Strava if racing means so much more? Motivation is having achieved a KOM that you have set out to do and when the time comes that somebody beats you legitimately, you get back on your bike and try again. I've never used the smartphone app so maybes its a lot easier to forget to turn it off, but I find it hard to believe people dont check out their rides after, and not notice that they have a cheated their way to a KOM and then just leave it there. Ive reported a heap of these and I think its time Strava became a bit proactive and banned people who keep on uploading dodgy rides.
so if one has been given a kom incorrectly 8) how does one change it?
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:26 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:
danny the boy wrote:

so if one has been given a kom incorrectly 8) how does one change it?
Ive never done it but Im guessing its under the actions tab there is one that says crop ride. You would have to delete that section out but yours sound more like a gps signal error so you might not be able to without having a blank spot in the middle of your ride.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:31 pm

danny the boy wrote: Ive never done it but Im guessing its under the actions tab there is one that says crop ride. You would have to delete that section out but yours sound more like a gps signal error so you might not be able to without having a blank spot in the middle of your ride.
I dont want to delete the ride, that would delete my entire easlink ride. I am guessing I will have to live with a false kom. I dont mind but it aint really fair on the previous holder, he aint going to be able to bring his time down from 44sec to 18sec

I have had a couple of gps issues of late, it missed my best run up the wall yesterday, but I guess thats a garmin issue and not strava
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:33 pm

There are some great gps glitches that lead to interesting leaderboards, I was very surprised with my time on this segment http://app.strava.com/segments/1072218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I'm guessing everyone else was too 8)

kb

Postby kb » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:03 pm

I have a friend who went on a lunchtime jog from Melbourne to Hobart and back. Strava iPhone.

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Why not just ignore the false/illegitimate time and aim to be second best behind that?

It would be pretty clear to anyone looking, that covering a 2km stretch in 1 minute at an average speed of 100kph is ridiculous, particularly when the 9 people behind are all grouped within 3 minutes and 5kph/avg of each other...
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Why not just flag it?... If it is obviously set in a car etc. the owner of the file can just crop out the dodgy bit where they left the garmin on once they put the bike in the car.
For me personally I like to be up with the front runners on certain KOM's ... On others I am never going to be near the front but like to give it a go anyway. Having an obviously false time at the front because someone can't be bothered to crop their ride is annoying personally ( but then we don't have anywhere near the same amount of segments that you do in Oz ).

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:12 pm

grantw wrote:There are some great gps glitches that lead to interesting leaderboards, I was very surprised with my time on this segment http://app.strava.com/segments/1072218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I'm guessing everyone else was too 8)
That might be to do with laps. The first segment I tried after joining Strava had me averaging 60+. It was an up and back segment that I did back, up , back (kinda reverse). When I looked at my speed on the segment it was all normal but the average speed was out of whack.

If you start and finish on a segment, but do something different in the middle that can affect the times too. Take a detour or shortcut and you time might still count. one segment on the PSP round here the KOM is by someone who has been in a pack on the road adjacent, not on the PSP.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.