Riding with glasses

sturmey archer

Riding with glasses

Postby sturmey archer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:28 pm

Having reached a certain age where my eyesight has started to deteriorate, I find that when riding on loose gravel surfaces I'm having a harder time picking the right line through gravel ruts, sand etc. It looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start wearing glasses while riding. I'm loath to wear my normal medium distance glasses while riding as previous experience is that copious amounts of sweat and small brass screws/hinges etc don't mix too well.

I'm thinking of a pair of 'cheapie' glasses for riding, that can get corroded/mangled/lost without too much concern. I'd be interested to hear other riders experiences of riding with glasses, prescription sunnies etc.
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

il padrone

Re: Riding with glasses

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:35 pm

I've been riding with glasses since just after I first began commuting (1976). Generally I have no problems with the glasses. They are a fairly mild prescription so not too heavy, but the plastic lenses are better than the old glass lenses for weight.... and worse for water droplet run-off in the rain. Corrosion of parts is never a worry - the frames do not rust because they are not steel. The nose-piece area gets a bit grungy every so often, easily fixed with a wash with soap and a brush or now I use Mucoff lens cleaner.

My only hassle with glasses is the loss of visual clarity when I have to use (non-prescription) sunglasses in sunny conditions, but I can put up with that.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Prescription sunnies for me. I got some oakleys, all plastic so no rust. They seem to fit my face well so sweat/fogging is minimised and aren't that dark so I can use them ok in low light. I also have some work provided dork glasses, I mean safety glasses, that make do for dark rides - they have transition lenses that seem to work ok. MY regular glasses lens is not big enough (they are supposedly stylish) to protect the eyes from much.
Last edited by bychosis on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 pm

The best thing to do is talk to an optometrist. Once you know what your prescription is it is easier to then decide what is best.

My prescription is too big for Oakleys so I can't wear Oakleys. I found out after i purchased a pair of Oakleys so i wasted my money. I should have checked with my optometrist first.

However make sure you get polarised glasses as it is easier to see the glass on the road.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 pm

Seeing that no-one's mentioned them, you might want to check out sunnies that use the insert system, like Rudy Project.

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:53 am

darkelf921 wrote:The best thing to do is talk to an optometrist. Once you know what your prescription is it is easier to then decide what is best.

My prescription is too big for Oakleys so I can't wear Oakleys. I found out after i purchased a pair of Oakleys so i wasted my money. I should have checked with my optometrist first.

However make sure you get polarised glasses as it is easier to see the glass on the road.
Our local optometrist sells Oakleys,raybans etc . I sweat a lot and never have a problem with rusting up glasses.I even have to wear (old set of work steel frame safety glasses) in the pool with my daughter swimming lessons. This current psir is over 2years old and only show a small rust mark under the side shield otherwise work fine.

But you can get plastic framed glasses too.

1 thing I noticed most people have said is,most health funds only rebate 1 pair of glasses a year so dont think you`ll get a clear and tinted set together cheaply.Get 1 set now,keep your script handy and get the 2nd set early/mid Jan

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:36 am

I need bifocal lenses and the best deal I found was with Specsavers.
2 pairs of multi focal lenses for $299.

I can still see reasonably well wearing normal sunnies but then I can’t read the bike comp, the prescription sunglasses from Specsavers are pretty good, and they have some frames that do not look out of place riding a road bike.

I just had them place the second focal section a fraction lower in the sunglasses so that it suits my head angle while riding.

dougalh

Postby dougalh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Has no one thought of contacts at all!?!?!

I'm short sighted and just put in my contacts then wear my sunnies as normal and have never had any problems.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:15 pm

scirocco wrote:Seeing that no-one's mentioned them, you might want to check out sunnies that use the insert system, like Rudy Project.
Bolle now make a pair like it. They're okay. I prefer my Maui Jim's when riding. However the Bolles with prescription insert are about a third of the price.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:17 pm

dougalh wrote:Has no one thought of contacts at all!?!?!

I'm short sighted and just put in my contacts then wear my sunnies as normal and have never had any problems.
I should wear contacts however I still have never used them as the thought of sticking them into my eyes kinda freaks me out. Glasses seem easier. I guess they're on my list of todos. However they are certainly worth mentioning if the OP doesn't have the same aversions to contacts that I do.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Contacts never worked well for me. Sticking them in the eyes was always really harsh and prickly for some time after, and then my eyes were extremely sensitive to glare so that I had to wear sunglasses even on a moderately bright cloudy day. After a lens got dropped and lost, for the second time, when putting them in I relented and went back to the glasses - never regretted it.
Mandatory helmet law?

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:41 pm

Only issue with glasses (for me) is that when it rains the water droplets stick to the lens making it hard to see. I'm not sure if there is some coating or something which you can put on to stop this.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:14 am

Philipthelam wrote:Only issue with glasses (for me) is that when it rains the water droplets stick to the lens making it hard to see. I'm not sure if there is some coating or something which you can put on to stop this.
This what you need. :lol:

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:54 am

I have been wearing prescription glasses for over 10 years. No problems with corrosion or cleaning.

A year ago I had my glasses replaced (again), and went to the auto darkening variety for the first time. They work well in non cycling use, however the latest glasses came with smaller lenses, the optician explaining "that is all that is available now, due to current fashion dictates".

When cycling, some head angles permit sunlight to come in over the top of the glasses. I am looking forward to a return to bigger frames next time.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:47 pm

My main concerns with my glasses are:
-sweat build up (doesn't seem as bad as it used to be, possibly the modern trend towards smaller lenses allows more time for the sweat to evaporate before it hits the lenses)
-they slip down my nose when I ride (this probably more to do with the particular frames I have)
- the modern smaller lenses mean that when I look over my shoulder to check for traffic, the edge of the lens is usually exactly where a car would be and I can't turn my head any further to get objects in focus.
I much prefer contacts if possible, they're admittedly not for everyone but worth trying.

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:04 pm

I use a pair of Adidas with clip ins which work well for me (have not got a very good eye sight at all!).. I don't know why but I can't do contacts, however my next step is laser and getting rid of prescription lenses all together!

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:42 pm

dougalh wrote:Has no one thought of contacts at all!?!?!

+1 to contacts. But my eyes are suitable for them. I have friends whose eyes start being irritated after too long in contacts. I've never had a problem.

kb

Postby kb » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:52 pm

I find glasses fine except for long descents. Much prefer contacts there otherwise I tend to get a little stiff in the neck. Maybe I need Dennis Taylor's glasses :-)

http://www.spectaclesblog.com/wp-conten ... tacles.bmp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:31 pm

I used to wear contact lenses with non-corrective glasses for eye protection. Then I started having problems reading the bike computer due to loss of accommodation with age. Around the same time I tired of the daily routine with contacts plus having to carry around reading glasses so started wearing multifocals for normal use. For riding I also bought glasses with prescription inserts (Adidas brand) with changeable lens colours . Rather than getting multifocals I got some hydrotac lenses http://www.hydrotaclenses.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so I can read the bike computer. I only fitted one lens and it works a treat. Once I decided on lens colours, glass type, my desire for polaroids etc.. the choice of frames was pretty narrow across all brands.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Until I managed to get my prescription sunglasses, I survived with a pair of sunglasses + a pair of “look over the top” reading glasses from the $2 shop.

Popped the lenses out of the reading glasses and fixed them inside at the bottom edge of the sun glasses with a tiny drop of silicon at each end of each lens.

Cheap & nasty but it actually worked good. :wink:

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:05 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Until I managed to get my prescription sunglasses, I survived with a pair of sunglasses + a pair of “look over the top” reading glasses from the $2 shop.

Popped the lenses out of the reading glasses and fixed them inside at the bottom edge of the sun glasses with a tiny drop of silicon at each end of each lens.

Cheap & nasty but it actually worked good. :wink:
Now you're talking my language! Actually as a result of this thread I think I might have a look at some sports type sunnies and prescription inserts.
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:36 pm

You can't see very well with hair dryers pointing at your retinas, so perhaps you don't even need prescription glasses. Just some safety goggles with no tinting to protect you from the 30km/h wind travelling at your face when you spin those damn pedals.
What are these salesmen peddling?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Wayfarer wrote:You can't see very well with hair dryers pointing at your retinas
:shock: :? :?

I've been riding frequently without glasses when I was younger, and done plenty of sailing in strong winds. Even get about doing hikes on windy days and XC skiing in blizzards. Generally I have not found wind in the face to be a huge impediment to my vision (well, except for wind-blown snow in a blizzard, that is damn hard - glasses or goggles are mandatory there).
Mandatory helmet law?

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:02 pm

As per my earlier post I always wear contacts. But due to some recent eye surgery I am yet to get back to wearing contacts & have to wear glasses for awhile. I haven't ridden since before the surgery & am wondering is the glare something you get used to?
I don't own prescription sunnies & am a little worried i will get part way into my commute to work & won't be able to handle the glare. My commute to Sydney CBD is into the sun in the morning & into the sun on the way home...

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:12 am

I commute with glasses. For recreationa rides I'll wear my contacts under my Oakleys.

You might want to invest in a sports strap to make sure they don't slide around your nose.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0