Prescription Eye Protection

argybargy

Prescription Eye Protection

Postby argybargy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:37 pm

I've just come across this company in the eastern states: http://www.new-eye-company.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and am in communication with Andy about getting a set made for me.

I'm quite excited by the prospect of good eye protection while riding and being able to see whats in front of me, and at a fraction of the cost of other glasses (Rudy/Oakely). I just thought I'd post it in here for a general FYI, and if anyone has experience with them.

twizzle

Re: Prescription Eye Protection

Postby twizzle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:14 pm

I had prescription lenses fitted in the the "RX" insert for some sunnies. Unfortunately, it ended up weighing so much they kept sliding down my nose. I ended up just sticking with contact lenses.

So... don't repeat my mistake.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Hmm

I'll bear that in mind ~ once I order and receive the new items i'll review them on there... might be a bit more realistic for people than Rudy/etc :)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:22 pm

argybargy wrote:Hmm

I'll bear that in mind ~ once I order and receive the new items i'll review them on there... might be a bit more realistic for people than Rudy/etc :)
How much are they all in?

I'm using an RX clip and they perform well but cleaning them is a hassel as you have to pull the whole thing appart to do it properly and its all plastic clips so only a matter of time before something snaps.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Frames/sunglasses are $50
Prescription (Single Vision) is $100

If the glasses are damaged, the prescription can be shifted across to a few pair of glasses. These are marketted primarilly as safety glasses, but they do have a subsection aimed at sports. I came across them by accident, and have looked around on the web for authenticity, as far as I can see they are legitimate... Its a gamble but it looks to be a worthwhile one.

Hammo

Postby Hammo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Keen to hear how you go! I went to OPSM the other day and was quoted $600 before health rebates for a pair of Oakley's. Bit too rich for my blood especially because I will only use them for riding.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:05 pm

twizzle wrote:I had prescription lenses fitted in the the "RX" insert for some sunnies. Unfortunately, it ended up weighing so much they kept sliding down my nose. I ended up just sticking with contact lenses.

So... don't repeat my mistake.
I have been wearing Rudy Proeject RX for years and love them. The new carbon fiber version is eve lighter and I have never had the problems that twizzel had.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Mr Moo wears Rudy Rex inserts too. I suppose the difference in going to an op.shop is the level of service. We went to Visionary in Freo and the owner is an avid cyclist. They aven have a kit!! Anyway, after asking about requirements, and what bike etc, he ended up putting the focal point (?) slightly higher as you tend to look up on a roadie due to seating position. They were perfect...fine for driving too, but mr moo does move them down his nose a tad for that.

Sometimes it's the little things that count. Still, I'd be interested to read a report on these guys.

Hammo

Postby Hammo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:38 pm

What does a Rudy set cost? I didn't know they had a option

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:29 am

I've been using an earlier model of these http://bbbcycling.com/bike-wear/sport-glasses/BSG-33for around 7 years now, you never have to remove the prescription insert once it is in place. The only thing to break on them is one of the retaining tabs on the smoke lenses, they still hold in place though. Will be buying another pair as soon as I don't need some other stuff, I've been saying that for the last year, really need to get the prescription updated.
No signature

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Hammo wrote:What does a Rudy set cost? I didn't know they had a option
They cost more than oakleys...although mr moo has a pretty hefty insert which bumps up the $$.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Hammo wrote:What does a Rudy set cost? I didn't know they had a option
Rudy Project have two ways of dealing with prescription lens. The traditional insert and full lenses.

The RX insert has globe through a number of improvements and is now a carbon fiber have frame. Very light does not reduce your vision at all but is prone to temp differential fogging.

The replacement lens is exactly as it sounds. You can get any lens done as a prescription including photocromatic.

With Oakley it's either a small insert in the existing lens which is cut to accept a small lens. This not only looks ugly but has restrictions in both vision and tinting. You can also get replacement lenses but last time I looked the range was limited.

Also you need to take into account that your standard Rudy lenses are a far better quality in terms of strength, scratch resistance and clarity.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

mirz

Postby mirz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:51 pm

this could be another good option:

http://www.clearlycontacts.com.au/frame ... 1&ga=M|F|K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can select your prescription, and also either fixed tint lenses or transition lenses under $150 all together.
My ride: Giant TCR Advanced 1

sparkyscott

Postby sparkyscott » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:05 pm

I got some Oakleys from OPSM - about $350 after health fund rebate.

They did the entire lens and I also opted for transitions.

Was quoted over a thousand for Rudys (I don't care how good they're claimed to be).

Oakleys seem fine and will no doubt take a beating.

I admit it would be better if I could just see. A few friends have recently had laser surgery. One off cost of a couple of grand and voila - at least for a few years....

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:10 am

This thread really caught my attention, I've been looking for sports prescription sunnies but couldn't swallow the brand name costs. New Eye Co are literally just down the road from me, so I checked them out today. Yes, it is a real shop with real people in it, with product you can look at.
The glasses are typical wrap around safety glass style, as seen in every hardware shop etc but do seem better quality than the typical cheepies. Certainly appeared unbreakable by the flex demonstration we tried. The prescription lenses are on a plastic strip that pops into the glasses, secure but easily changed. The lenses sit very close to the eye, it didn't appear to have significant blind spots.

I'm impressed enough to give them a go, the multi-focal strip (AT) $250 is still way cheaper than I was quoted for just 1 lens of a brand name set. I need a new script, so not much will happen for a couple of weeks at least.

More later.....

reefer

Postby reefer » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:36 am

Good info there Skyblot.

I actually use normal safety glasses but with the “readers”. I also use them for fishing and at $20 they do just fine.

My long range vision is just starting to go in my right eye so will need to look into multifocals.

I currently sweat like a pig up here in Towsville, did a 100km today from 8am to 11.45am but had to wash my glasses twice.

Do you think from what you saw that these new eye glasses will be able to be washed easily roadside?

My wife has Rudy projects with the inserts and whilst they are fine, albeit heavy glasses, they are a right PITA to clean.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:11 am

Bentnose wrote:I've been using an earlier model of these http://bbbcycling.com/bike-wear/sport-glasses/BSG-33for around 7 years now, you never have to remove the prescription insert once it is in place. The only thing to break on them is one of the retaining tabs on the smoke lenses, they still hold in place though. Will be buying another pair as soon as I don't need some other stuff, I've been saying that for the last year, really need to get the prescription updated.
How do you clean them?

I get sweat / dirt between the glasses lense and the rx clip prescription and I have to pull them down every 2-3 rides for cleaning.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Happy new year everyone, and I hope the season wasn't too fattening....

Well, I have the new glasses and overall I'm pretty happy - but there are some comments qualifying this...
Fit - they either fit or they don't. there's no adjustment available so you're in luck or not. Fortunately the're OK for me. Then again (AT) $20 for the glasses you could buy a set at low risk.
The glasses sit very close to the eye, such that the prescription lens is brushed by my eyelashes (no I don't have gorgeous long models lashes, just the average set) so that comes back to the fit. The problem with this is the lash has a thin film of oil (to catch grit etc before the eyeball wears it) and this smears onto the lens.
Luckily cleaning the insert is easy, the prescription element is on a thin film of plastic and removes and installs in seconds. I find I only have to clean the inside regularly.

Comparing to my normal glasses, the field of view is greater, and I think this is giving an increased awareness of distortion or the illusion of distortion anyway. My lenses are multifocals, and I remember my first set had me hanging on to something solid everytime I moved my head because of the way the glasses distorted the view. These are just different and the brain needs a bit of re-programing....

On the bike they are great, much better than standard glasses. I'm happy.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:46 am

My 7 year old prescription sunglasses fell apart on Boxing Day. I had changed the lenses a few times, and had decided more or less I would order some oakleys this year.

I have been driving and riding with my spare $40.00 sunnies. I've decided seeing is overrated and it is simpler to ride and drive by touch.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:01 am

Just ordered some Chinese prescription wind goggles ( http://www.zennioptical.com/705015-pres ... ggles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), to replace my old prescription sunglasses which were left in a taxi a few days ago. Cost about $40 delivered.

I went into an optometrist and got my lens prescription (even used my health insurance rebate to get a cheap set of normal glasses so I didn't feel bad for wasting their time / not buying anything when I used their service) and have just ordered these and a pair of "fashion" sunglasses online too.

If they work I will be buying almost all my optical offshore from now on (sorry Aus optometry industry). Will post back with results.
New tar seal in front of my wheel