Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

jasonc

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:11 am

vbplease wrote:^^ I'd be really keen to know as well. Looks like a nice loop.

Although there is a long section on the Brisbane Valley Hwy - google maps indicates it's ok - hopefully there aren't too many large trucks?
Are cyclists allowed on the Warrego Hwy?

A better loop maybe - The Gap to Nebo/Glorious
Glorious to Samford (the steep descent)
Samford to Mt Samson to Dayboro
Around the back of Samsonvale dam to wynn rd and go up Clear mountain
Onto Draper, Bunya, Ferny hills back to the Gap.

127km all up with a few hills :)
anyone got a strava or mapmyride link for this one?

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:24 pm

^^ I might give that one a crack on Sunday morning. Interested in doing that LeVelo? I don't have a strava link at the moment.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:30 pm

vbplease wrote:^^ I might give that one a crack on Sunday morning. Interested in doing that LeVelo? I don't have a strava link at the moment.
geez, I didn't expect a literal ride through. Thought someone must have known someone who had done it with a strava or mapmyride link...

look forward to the comments.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 pm

I was all set for the ride.. woke up at 4:30am, somehow managed to change cassettes without a chainwhip, loaded up with lots of snacks, drove from the southside to Ferny Hills.. took the bike out of the car and realised my helmet, shoes and gloves were still sitting on the garage floor, NOOOoooooo!!!!!!

Probably a good thing i didn't do it solo.. I just came across this thread talking about the aggressive drivers up Dayboro way. http://www.roadgrime.com.au/forum/topic ... d/4/page/1

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:08 pm

vbplease wrote:^^ I might give that one a crack on Sunday morning. Interested in doing that LeVelo? I don't have a strava link at the moment.
Just saw your post vbplease, sorry haven't been trolling the forum for a few days but I wouldn't be able to make it as I had a race at Murrarie on sunday otherwise I would've.
This Sunday is out as I have a club ride then the 12th is a crit race at Synergy and the 19th road race at Mulgowie, which looking at the racing calendar will leave me Sunday the 26th August at the earliest for such ride.
Someone on my strava has done it will dig out his link up and post it up (but will also map it out from my end of town)

If anyone is interested in organising a bunch ride for the 26th August I'll be in and see if I can rattle a few guys together from my end of town also

I leave in forest lake and can kick off the ride from here and pick up people along the way and get to a more general meeting point pending the number of attendees and their locations.

Cheers

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:38 pm

No worries :)
26th of August sounds good to me. I'm at Greenslopes.. I guess we could figure out a loop and meet up points closer to the date?

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Did the Nebo ride today for the first time, absolutely stunning....I've lived in Brisbane for 30+ years and have never been up there from The Gap before.

The road surface is really crappy in parts on the descent...there's a section that has subsided forcing you to ride out in the middle of the lane, heaps of cyclists up there today, other traffice wasn't too bad, you can hear the motorbikes coming.

Keen to return and try to get a bit further up the road toward Glorious, although I think it will be awhile before I can get all the way to the cafe :shock:
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:37 pm

marinmomma wrote:Did the Nebo ride today for the first time, absolutely stunning....I've lived in Brisbane for 30+ years and have never been up there from The Gap before.

The road surface is really crappy in parts on the descent...there's a section that has subsided forcing you to ride out in the middle of the lane, heaps of cyclists up there today, other traffice wasn't too bad, you can hear the motorbikes coming.

Keen to return and try to get a bit further up the road toward Glorious, although I think it will be awhile before I can get all the way to the cafe :shock:
great work. you can do it. if you can do nebo, you can do glorious. yes, glorious is harder, but you just have to make it, not do a QOM on your first attempt.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Safe to say that I'll never get a QOM on Nebo....far too many younger and fitter riders than I on this segment :wink:
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:40 am

marinmomma wrote:Safe to say that I'll never get a QOM on Nebo....far too many younger and fitter riders than I on this segment :wink:
try doing it on a flat bar. :cry:

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Perfect weather today. Did a nice loop from Sandgate to the gap and back via rations crossing road.
Maybe next time can add clear mtn

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:10 pm

Did Nebo again today, third time up there now but went up as far as the turn off to Samford...next time I'm going all the way to Glorious!

I felt that the road surface has deteriorated more since I went up mid last month, some sections are paper thin, pot holes everywhere...the next lot of rain will cause more damage to the surface.
Lisa

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:29 am

Out of sheer curiosity, can someone tell me what the climb to Paluma Village just noryh of Townsville is categorised as? It just gives me a comparison to gauge what sort of hell I'm in for on my first Nebo/Glorious ride... Whenever that'll be :(
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:Out of sheer curiosity, can someone tell me what the climb to Paluma Village just noryh of Townsville is categorised as? It just gives me a comparison to gauge what sort of hell I'm in for on my first Nebo/Glorious ride... Whenever that'll be :(
one of these?

http://app.strava.com/segments/explore# ... pe/terrain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purt

Postby Purt » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:05 pm

jasonc wrote: one of these?

http://app.strava.com/segments/explore# ... pe/terrain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow.

I'd say you're in for an easy ride then. Nebo only really has 2 or 3 climbs, each only about 1km. The rest is kinda rolling hills, nothing too hard.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Paluma is a HC climb?! I'm da man! My record was 1h32m for the climb. Not bad at 85kg(at the time). I think the record is around 51 minutes dead by some 12kg wringing wet 1200w midget.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Hammo

Postby Hammo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:10 am

Thought I would dig up an old thread!

Did a big ride (for me) on Saturday, met in the city rode out to Kenmore and then over Gap Creek Road, then up Nebo then on to Glorious then back down Mt Glorious Rd through Samford and back to the city.

It was just over 100km with a touch over 2,00m climbed. Was a tough morning and pretty hot! I am anything but a hill climber however really enjoyed the ride!

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Nice ride Hammo... Will have to put that on my list...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Hammo wrote:Thought I would dig up an old thread!

Did a big ride (for me) on Saturday, met in the city rode out to Kenmore and then over Gap Creek Road, then up Nebo then on to Glorious then back down Mt Glorious Rd through Samford and back to the city.

It was just over 100km with a touch over 2,00m climbed. Was a tough morning and pretty hot! I am anything but a hill climber however really enjoyed the ride!
got a strava link for that one?

Hammo

Postby Hammo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 pm

I can probably PM the link to you if you like mate?

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Did the ride in reverse for the first time from Samford up Glorious road and back to the gap, much more of a challenge, the last few hundred meters really hurt!

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Nice one!!!

I still need to do the glorious leg... I have (slowly) cracked Nebo a few times now, including up the goat track on my MTB, but very keen to give Nebo + Glorious a crack!!! Better put it on my no more excuses list...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:00 pm

themerlin wrote:Did the ride in reverse for the first time from Samford up Glorious road and back to the gap, much more of a challenge, the last few hundred meters really hurt!
Hmmmmm, so next challenge be the return ride down to Northbrook over the back. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 pm

RonK wrote:
themerlin wrote:Did the ride in reverse for the first time from Samford up Glorious road and back to the gap, much more of a challenge, the last few hundred meters really hurt!
Hmmmmm, so next challenge be the return ride down to Northbrook over the back. :)
and then back to glorious? mate did that last weekend. he's done lots of kms. he described it as the hardest ride of his life. 4kms of about 15% gradient. he averaged about 8km/h for those 4 kms (he recently put a compact on for 3-peaks training)

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Yep that's next when it's not so hot.
Your just stuck when you get to the bottom, it's climb or return via ipswitch.
Guy I went with has done the backside and said it's not as bad, longer but not as steep and with a few breaks.
jasonc wrote:
RonK wrote:
and then back to glorious? mate did that last weekend. he's done lots of kms. he described it as the hardest ride of his life. 4kms of about 15% gradient. he averaged about 8km/h for those 4 kms (he recently put a compact on for 3-peaks training)