Need a gizmo!

Wakatuki

Need a gizmo!

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Wife, really wants to cycle off alone on her own adventures. Problem is not enough strength to remove quick releases on wheels. They are not overly tight. Any ideas for a saddle bag friendly tool, single or dual purpose that she could use to give leverage? It would preferably be idiot proof and non damaging.
Thank you.

Kenzo

Re: Need a gizmo!

Postby Kenzo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 pm

A section of Clear plastic hose which can slide over the QR handle might help. It will give her a wider lever for her fingers.

def

Postby def » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Wife, really wants to cycle off alone on her own adventures. Problem is not enough strength to remove quick releases on wheels. They are not overly tight. Any ideas for a saddle bag friendly tool, single or dual purpose that she could use to give leverage? It would preferably be idiot proof and non damaging.
Thank you.
What she needs is a short length of electrical conduit - about 4 inches should do it. Make sure it fits over the lever part of the quick release. It'll fit in a saddle bag, back pocket or even one of those fancy frame pump clips!

Also, make sure she can close the release all the way as well. The lever needs to go past parallel to the bike to ensure security.

Not sure if it's available in carbon.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Wife, really wants to cycle off alone on her own adventures. Problem is not enough strength to remove quick releases on wheels. They are not overly tight. Any ideas for a saddle bag friendly tool, single or dual purpose that she could use to give leverage? It would preferably be idiot proof and non damaging.
Thank you.
A small shifter from a $2 shop would do the job nicely.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:13 pm

As def hinted, closed position is as important as how tight the QR is done up.

Wakatuki s it possible that you are overdoing the testosterone and doing up the QR tighter than is necessary?

Next question, if Mrs W is struggling to undo a QR, is she able to do whatever needs to be done once the QR has been undone?

What, no more questions?
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi,

Err, possibly I may be doing more than is necessary to lock in the fork. :oops:
After a bit of research i understand the tight feeling should come at the halfway point of the closing action on the QR. (advise if i'm wrong)
Will try that first, if still unsuccessful will go with the conduit, plenty of room in the bottle cage tool roll.

She has carbon forks with alloy frame.

Will keep you posted.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:25 pm

A properly adjusted QR will leave an impression in the palm once closed. If assistance is needed to open, methinks defs idea of a small length of conduit is a winner.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:32 am

Would the Crank Bros split QR skewers work? The smaller lever is used to set the tension and the larger locks it down.
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=25018
Might be a little pricey compared to a PVC tube but is more gizmo than hack.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:37 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Would the Crank Bros split QR skewers work? The smaller lever is used to set the tension and the larger locks it down.
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=25018
Might be a little pricey compared to a PVC tube but is more gizmo than hack.
I like the look of this skewer idea and that's not really a break the bank, and what is the real price of freedom, "solidarity brothers" :P . I will take a closer look at the weekend as they certainly get good write ups. I am going to see if she can change a tire on a removed wheel before I pursue anything. She has 5 tire levers in her pouch now!

Fingers crossed.