Road cycling training buddies

Marty619

Road cycling training buddies

Postby Marty619 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi all,

I live in Wellard and work FIFO and am looking for guys to ride with Thursday through to Tuesday prefer morning but would be happy just to ride with others, as enjoy riding with Avanti Plus Rockingham guys on a Sat morn. My average is 30kph over a 75km ride, but will be happy to take the lead or sit in a pack.

Marty Moose

Re: Road cycling training buddies

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Wrong end of the road to me :)

Marty

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Give me six months and I might be able to do that ~ I'm just getting into it and am still doing small distances up the freeway on every other weekend (I cheat and catch the train back).

-edit-
I am also in Wellard

Marty619

Postby Marty619 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm willing to jump on the train early doors if you have some good routes up ur end Marty.

I can help u if u r just starting out as I no how hard it is to try and do it on ur own angrybary
Scott CR1 Team

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Sounds like a plan once I start get my legs back ~ which I think should only take until the new year.
Just doing the 20km stretch to Cockburn, with plans to reverse direction and do the stretch to Mandurah in the future (I'm avoiding going further north than Cockburn as I don't fancy those roadworks). Hopefully by the winter I'll be back into it and riding most of the way to work a few times a week (Wellard to West Perth).

waslem

Postby waslem » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Hey,

I make the Saturday avanti rides when I can ( wake up in time haha)
I am in Baldivis, not far, usually riding 4-5 days a week on the PSP. Weekday rides are in the afternoon for me,
but would be Interested in Sunday morning rides, would be a welcome change to riding solo all the time.

Jamie.

Marty619

Postby Marty619 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 am

I rode to East Perth on my last break argybargy and it took just under 1hr 30 the worst bit I found was from Farrington through to Canning Bridge can't wait till they get the works finished. Although you could make a pretty good loop with apron 5km of road and the rest bike path, will have a look in the morning as work messed my flights up (what a shame lol). Unfortunately I won't be doing much until the week between Christmas and new year as work and holidays.

Hey Jamie, what do u ride I'm only there every other week with work, I've got the white Scott CR1. What sort of distances are you covering at the min? I've just got up to around the 75/80km mark, also what times do you ride in the afternoon? Might be tempted to change if can find others to share the work load with the winds :)
Scott CR1 Team

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Calista resident here, I work 9 to 5 M to F in the CBD, usually commute 3+ times a week, but days & times too unpredictable

Saturday you will find me on the Avanti Rockingham ride (usually on the blue Fuji SL1)

Sundays is Criterium Racing with PDCC, it is on the Motorplex this and next Sunday if you want check it out. As you are capable of 30kph over 75km you are ready for D grade. Can try it out, by getting a day licence $33 on the day + $15 race fee

There is a PDCC social ride on Tuesday morning , don't know the start point, route, distance or pace. Just know a few people who ride it regularly.

Thursday morning a group ride out from Rockingham via Baldivis to Mudijong for the Mudijong Wheelers ride and return, 90km total for me. The pace out and back is moderate, the Wheelers ride pace is light, until the older riders turn off and the younger riders (and you will be the youngest of this group by far, I usually am at 52) pick up the pace for next 15km, the final 6km on Wright St, pace is fast to leg rippingly brutal depending on who is there. Reward for finishing cake and tea or coffee ($2 contribution).

PM me or ask me on Saturday for more info

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Cockburn to Rockingham Monday to Friday here. Most days solo.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Marty619

Postby Marty619 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:08 pm

What time do you do the Cockburn to Rocko trip Mark?? Is it for work or would you consider a coast route back to Cockburn??

Hey Nickobec what sort of pace do the do on the Thursday morn ride and what time? I can only do this Thursday as going away for the rest of my break. If you ride to work what time would you normally leave as I'm thinking of doin Wellard to Perth, Perth to Fremantle then Fremantle to Wellard this Thursday to try and get a big ride in see how the legs cope. Might look more into the Criterium would be nice to do something like that as I do have a little competitive streak in me (don't we all) :)

What time do u ride during the week Waslem
Scott CR1 Team

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Marty619 wrote: Hey Nickobec what sort of pace do the do on the Thursday morn ride and what time? I can only do this Thursday as going away for the rest of my break.
They leave from Baldivis at 7am, 28kph for the 26km ride to Mundijong.
About the same average for the 32km loop, but that is deceiving. The first half is very casual and social, just under 25kph, the pace picks up for the second half and then with 7km to go, it really picks up, anywhere between 33kph and 37kph, depending who is riding. There is a competitive sprint for the old railway crossing. Don't worry most people get dropped and make there back to the football club .
The post tea & cake return ride is also at about 28kph.
The strava entry for my last Thursday ride http://app.strava.com/activities/27836790
Marty619 wrote:If you ride to work what time would you normally leave as I'm thinking of doin Wellard to Perth, Perth to Fremantle then Fremantle to Wellard this Thursday to try and get a big ride in see how the legs cope.
The bad news is I am so unpredictable with my leaving times, I want to leave between 6:30 and 7am, but actually leave between 7 to 7:45am. As long as I am at work by 9:30 no problem, but the detours are playing havoc with that.

I would suggest Wellard, Fremantle, Perth, Wellard. As it is easier to bail and catch a train most of the way home on the Perth Wellard leg.

The alternative is ride to the PSP, ride south to south yunderup, turn round head north refuel at a cycle friendly south perth cafe, then return home. Plenty of bail options and 160km in you do the full trip.

Marty619 wrote:Might look more into the Criterium would be nice to do something like that as I do have a little competitive streak in me (don't we all) :)
That's the spirit.

Looks like most of today's Avanti Rockingham fast group will be racing with Scott (the man and the bike) convincing the Cannondale rider (whose name escapes me) to race E grade with him tomorrow. Probably 1st and 2nd there, unless a certain committee member pulls rank and bumps them to D.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:05 am

Hi mate.
Usually leave Rowley about 6.30 and I don't mind the coast route back home from work.

Marty619

Postby Marty619 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:09 am

PM sent Nick

Do you ride on weekends at all Mark?
Scott CR1 Team

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:44 am

Yeah usually spr Saturday and casual recover ride Sunday. A mate is learning his way in to cycling at the moment, so just going so so at the moment.

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:50 am

Hey guys

I'm in Baldivis too and ride to work in Canning Vale 2 days per week (weather permiting) and ride on Sunday mornings too. I usually stick to the psp but do the ocassional doghill loop and trip down to Mandurah for a coffee then back again. I'm averaging about 28-30kph over 50kms. but would like someone to train with to try and get fitter and faster. I sometime ride with a group on Sunday mornings from Cockburn at 6.30am for a 75-80k loop then coffee and a muffing afterwards but the group can be a little slow depending on whos riding.

I'll be out tomorrow at about 7.30-8.00am heading south from Safety bay road on the psp if you're interested. I ride a Black, red & white Fuji Altemira.

See you out there!
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:12 am

Hi Marty.

I'll be leaving my office approx 4.00 pm and heading north to Cockburn if you're interested mate.

Marty619

Postby Marty619 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Hey Mark,

Would love to if only I wasn't at work and don't get home until Wednesday night, but if your up for riding in to work on Thursday I will up for joining in then continue on my loop.
Scott CR1 Team

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Hey Marty, should be good to go, I'll keep you posted mate.

Edit : I usually depart my office between 3.30 pm and 4.00 pm Monday to Friday, and go north along Patterson Road, then east up Thomas Road to the freeway (Anketell Road isn't bad, but the the trucks do test the nerves, likewise for Russell Road). Then I continue along the PSP to Rowley Road and head east til I get home.

So yeah, that's the normal routine.

If you ever want to join in, you're more than welcome to meet up at my office.

Marty619

Postby Marty619 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:52 pm

What is your normal route and time you leave to get to work Mark as I am more of an early doors rider than a afternoon due to family, etc.
pm sent
Scott CR1 Team

Ben82

Postby Ben82 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi Marty I'm in the the same boat as you, work fifo except 2 & 1 and am keen to find training buddies.
I get home Wednesday morning and normally avg. about 300-350km for the week

Marty619

Postby Marty619 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi Ben, what time and distance do you normall ride and speed, that's pretty good distance to be ride hopefully I will get there next year up around the 200 to 250 km in my time off.
Scott CR1 Team

Ben82

Postby Ben82 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Marty I normally head out from Aubin Grove most day's about 9:15am and have to be home about 1:45pm to pick my little one up from school.
Average speed is depended on a few factors but usually around 28 ish

Here's the rough schedule for my rides, not sure I will get Monday and Tues this time round as it will be school holidays

Wednesday 20-25km
Thursday 80-90km
Friday 60-70km
Saturday rest day
Sunday PDCC crit race
Monday 80km
Tuesday 100-120

If you or anyone else is keen to meet up for a ride just drop me a p.m.
Last edited by Ben82 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marty619

Postby Marty619 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 pm

PM sent Ben
Scott CR1 Team