eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

WyvernRH

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Torana68 wrote:whos after this one? price has gone a bit silly and I dont know why? nice old thing but ....? (also not a Speedwell)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VERY-rare-SP ... 3a7c212b14
Just interested to know, what tipped you off about it not being an actual Speedwell? The headlugs possibly?
Cheers
Richard

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Aussie made Petrus with fancy lugs: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yangebup ... 1010411847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damn, gotta be quick around here. Listed today, I made an offer before 9am, just got a response saying 2 others beat me to it and willing to pay the asking price. Oh well, too big for me anyway I think.

Anyone from here?

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Apollo Kuwahara with slightly bent stays on gumtree - free, so brisbaneite's get on it. Not mine.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:59 pm

WyvernRH wrote: Just interested to know, what tipped you off about it not being an actual Speedwell? The headlugs possibly?
Cheers Richard
Richard, frame number, location of frame number, lug work (style and finish) bars and stem (similar patina to other chrome bits so Im guessing not changed) it doesnt look trackish either :) a closer look would be good but Im going off the photos and supplied info, would be a nice project at $100
Roger

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:02 pm

cray- wrote:Aussie made Petrus with fancy lugs: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yangebup ... 1010411847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damn, gotta be quick around here. Listed today, I made an offer before 9am, just got a response saying 2 others beat me to it and willing to pay the asking price. Oh well, too big for me anyway I think.

Anyone from here?

Yeah I am number two in line waiting for a call back.

I don't know anything about the Petrus would you say its worth the asking price?

cheers
Sambo

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Although it seems a bit counter productive for me to answer your questions, I will say that I think it is overpriced for the state that it is in and the money that needs to be spent on it. However, others have far deeper pockets than mine and might think otherwise. Only so much can be gleaned from a poor low-res photo.

If you don't know anything about it, what inspired you to go after it?

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:51 pm

I was of the same opinion and offered less than the asking price subject to seeing the bike.
Why was I interested? The frame size mainly and also it looked like a quality built frame from what could be made from the pic.
Worth a resto at the right price.
Someone else is looking at it first and may well be prepared to pay more than I offered once they inspect it, as I made it clear I would not pay full price
for it.

Cheers
Sambo

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 pm

cray- wrote:Although it seems a bit counter productive for me to answer your questions, I will say that I think it is overpriced for the state that it is in and the money that needs to be spent on it. However, others have far deeper pockets than mine and might think otherwise. Only so much can be gleaned from a poor low-res photo.

If you don't know anything about it, what inspired you to go after it?
You wouldn't spend $200 on that if it was your size? It's a well built frame, good tubing, looks like Cinelli #14s and mostly Record on there too. I reckon $200 is a bargain (provided the frame isn't toast).

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:12 pm

I'm wondering how you snap a crank?

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Go on, buy it now....

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:26 pm

xerlex wrote:You wouldn't spend $200 on that if it was your size? It's a well built frame, good tubing, looks like Cinelli #14s and mostly Record on there too. I reckon $200 is a bargain (provided the frame isn't toast).
Like I said, others have deeper pockets than mine. I think a lot of stuff is overpriced but it comes down to supply and demand. I was hoping this was obscure enough to go unnoticed so that I could snap up a real bargain (by my standards). It was not to be.

You're knowledge and familiarity with the parts also enables you to put a different value on them. More realistic? Possibly. I don't know Campy (to be honest I have/had no idea what the groupo was from the photo). All I know is that half a crank is worth nothing and it didn't look cheap to replace so I attempted to use that as a bargaining tool.

I hope it goes to a deserving home and with any luck we'll see it grace these forums after a spit and shine.

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:31 pm

cray- wrote:
xerlex wrote:You wouldn't spend $200 on that if it was your size? It's a well built frame, good tubing, looks like Cinelli #14s and mostly Record on there too. I reckon $200 is a bargain (provided the frame isn't toast).
Like I said, others have deeper pockets than mine. I think a lot of stuff is overpriced but it comes down to supply and demand. I was hoping this was obscure enough to go unnoticed so that I could snap up a real bargain (by my standards). It was not to be.

You're knowledge and familiarity with the parts also enables you to put a different value on them. More realistic? Possibly. I don't know Campy (to be honest I have/had no idea what the groupo was from the photo). All I know is that half a crank is worth nothing and it didn't look cheap to replace so I attempted to use that as a bargaining tool.

I hope it goes to a deserving home and with any luck we'll see it grace these forums after a spit and shine.

All fair points. I'm not a heavy hitter collector but I know a few things and to me it's good value at $200. That said, I'd pay less if I could;)

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 am

Another, though less well kept and more expensive ALAN

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 am

something tells me that last ALAN was the score of the year.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:33 am

Dan wrote:something tells me that last ALAN was the score of the year.
Yes indeedy.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:21 pm

cray- wrote:Aussie made Petrus with fancy lugs: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yangebup ... 1010411847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Damn, gotta be quick around here. Listed today, I made an offer before 9am, just got a response saying 2 others beat me to it and willing to pay the asking price. Oh well, too big for me anyway I think. Anyone from here?
just looked at this one, more like 80's not 60's also hes stuck a piece of paper right where it looks like the bend in the TT is?

munga

Postby munga » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:23 pm

grantw wrote:
Dan wrote:something tells me that last ALAN was the score of the year.
Yes indeedy.

here's another frame at USD$460 BIN

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vintage-ALAN ... 500wt_1414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Torana68 wrote:
Damn, gotta be quick around here. Listed today, I made an offer before 9am, just got a response saying 2 others beat me to it and willing to pay the asking price. Oh well, too big for me anyway I think. Anyone from here?
just looked at this one, more like 80's not 60's also hes stuck a piece of paper right where it looks like the bend in the TT is?
And then photographed it against a backdrop which makes the bend pretty easy to spot...
grantw wrote:I'm wondering how you snap a crank?
Possibly the same incident that caused the bend in the top tube.

Count yourselves lucky Cray and Sambo. ;)

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:07 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Torana68 wrote:
And then photographed it against a backdrop which makes the bend pretty easy to spot...
grantw wrote:I'm wondering how you snap a crank?
Possibly the same incident that caused the bend in the top tube.
Count yourselves lucky Cray and Sambo. ;)
The suspicious label placement and surrounding tube area did not go unnoticed. All Gumtree sales and negotiation are pending inspection in my book.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:47 pm

How is this for a polished turd?

Low end Hi ten, lazy angled, cookie cutter ends clunker ricardo with a few polished vintage DA bits. Checkout the price ??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINT-RESTORE ... 500wt_1414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopeful muppet :lol:

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 pm

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:06 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:How is this for a polished turd?
Poor guy, looks like he did a nice job, just chose the wrong frame for his efforts.

What's the DA group realistically worth (he claims $800)? Strip it, add to a more worthy frame, fixify the Ricardo and throw it at some hipsters.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Swoon. Click if you dare.

Also, an Olmo worth keeping an eye on
Last edited by Dan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Dan wrote:You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
Nah ya can polish them mate, Mythbusters polished a few one episode!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Dan wrote:Swoon. Click if you dare.
A DeRosa! A real one! :lol:

Love the Avatar, btw...