Riding Clear Mountain

Archenar

Riding Clear Mountain

Postby Archenar » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:42 pm

Hi Brisbanites and others :wink:

Has anyone rode over Clear Mountain? I have ridden it from North to South (start Winn Road and finish at Eaton's Crossing Rd) and it has some pretty tough climbs. Some 17%ers and a 20%er right before the summit. I made it up there Ok, but did have to do it in stages. Has anyone else ridden Clear Mountain Road and please let me know how you went.

Thanks!

Mick
2009 Malvern Star Capo Pro

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:25 am

Yep it is a good ride espeically if you are hill training. Its a killer if you do it on the way back to Pine Rivers from doing Mt Mee or Mt Glorious.

I recon the 20% bit isn't as hard as the longer 17% bits becasue it is short and sharp. And from Winn Rd is defintely the steeper way to go.

Some fantastic views across the North Pine Dam and some HUGE houses being built up there last time I rode it.

Some sharp bends on some of the descents makes them slower than you'd like them to be but still some good fast downhilling.

Archenar

Postby Archenar » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:31 pm

Pax wrote:Yep it is a good ride espeically if you are hill training. Its a killer if you do it on the way back to Pine Rivers from doing Mt Mee or Mt Glorious.
Ack! I find it a killer now *laugh* Never mind Mt Mee or Glorious. Maybe in a few years :) Would be awesome to complete those rides for the 1st time.
Pax wrote:Some fantastic views across the North Pine Dam and some HUGE houses being built up there last time I rode it.
Definitely some nice real estate there!! And the views are good - especially on a clear day the city can be seen quite clearly too.
Pax wrote:Some sharp bends on some of the descents makes them slower than you'd like them to be but still some good fast downhilling.
Totally agree with you there - I downhill towards Eaton's Crossing Rd and the 20% drop curves and I prefer to use the brakes. There is an 18% drop (from memory) after that after a slight curve where I reach my max speed (76km/h) but again I am cautious as before this drop there is a slight bend which you can't see the end of.

I think before I tackle this one again I need to do more rides of just spinning, time on the bike etc. Then do this ride as a shorter ride and use the hills as the workout.

Thanks for your feedback Pax! BTW - Loved the story about Mt O'Reilly rd. I know a mate at work - a triathlete - is looking for that hill so would love to see him try it :)

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Hey Mick

Try Mt Mee. It is a gentler but more consistent climb for about 7k from Dayboro to Townsend Rd.

AND it is a very enjoyable downhill, long, twisty but not too much so, so no need for much breaking. A great hill for honing skills and building endurance. Best local hill for that type of thing I think

I'd be very happy to have you join me for a ride one weekend if you like. It is a great ride no matter what the pace.

Enjoy the hills, its the best riding IMO

Archenar

Postby Archenar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Pax wrote:Hey Mick

Try Mt Mee. It is a gentler but more consistent climb for about 7k from Dayboro to Townsend Rd.
I'll have to give that a try sometime, thanks for that. I have done it by car and was a nice drive then - was a while ago.
Pax wrote: I'd be very happy to have you join me for a ride one weekend if you like. It is a great ride no matter what the pace.
Thanks for that offer, I might take you up on that sometime!

Cheers,
Mick

vbplease

Re: Riding Clear Mountain

Postby vbplease » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:52 pm

Finally got around to Clear Mountain over the weekend.. very nice ride! From Eatons Crossing Rd I think all the climbing is done except for 2 short pinches..

Amazing views of the lake, but I couldn't see a designated lookout? I thought there was one signposted back at the turnoff?

How dangerous/steep is the entrance back onto Winn Rd!?! Lucky there were no cars coming in either direction as I would have been collected :shock:

Next time will have to be from Winn Rd!

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:27 pm

I used to live at Clear Mountain. Try riding down my street (Branch Creek Road, just before Eatons Crossing Road) to the creek and back up again...my house was last on the right before the creek.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:22 pm

That looks like an extra couple hundred meters elevation.. challenge excepted :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:31 pm

vbplease wrote:That looks like an extra couple hundred meters elevation.. challenge excepted :D
Hehe - it was a killer to ride out of my driveway stone cold and up that hill...:)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:14 pm

For some reason I always find south - north harder, not sure why as the other way is steeper on paper.