The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

toolonglegs

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Think I have found the reason for my sore legs and lack of power...lying in bed :lol: looking at my bike sitting on the rollers ( bless my wife ) I noticed my saddle has slid right back!.
But I have over stretched my hamstring a bit too much so probably need yet another day off :-( ... The heavy snow falling outside makes the day off decision easy.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:49 pm

200k and 3500m on Saturday, a seriously hot day in the Gold Coast hinterland. Good training for something.
around 9 hours in the saddle. no cramps due to 8 litres of electrolyte, and 1.5 of water, 600ml coke.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:16 am

Go figure... in the end I felt really good. 43 kms of snowed in country lanes, just the old fella and rh toes that suffered ( got a bit wet ) ... I really do hate the thaw out in the shower when you get home. Really is very painful :oops: .
winstonw wrote:200k and 3500m on Saturday, a seriously hot day in the Gold Coast hinterland. Good training for something.
around 9 hours in the saddle. no cramps due to 8 litres of electrolyte, and 1.5 of water, 600ml coke.
Serious training for something :lol: .

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:15 pm

Pissed. :evil:

The last six weeks of training, and deliberately skipped races, were all so that so that I would peak for an "A" event next weekend - a 40km TT. But somehow it has been screwed up and they got road approval for a 20km TT in a completely differenly location with hills. And the involved parties are claiming that they never had the 40km TT planned, when it was on the online calendar. :evil:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:32 pm

you are a hard man TLL.

Twizzle - don't you find racing the best means of conditioning yourself for races? i know there's different types, but i find that if i don't race, my "top end" (FTP or whatever) suffers.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:30 pm

jules21 wrote:Twizzle - don't you find racing the best means of conditioning yourself for races? i know there's different types, but i find that if i don't race, my "top end" (FTP or whatever) suffers.
Not really. I have no chance of winning crits, endurance is more important to me than short term power - missing out on saddle hours for a race that might get cancelled or turn into a slow ride doesn't help my progress. I can maintain my CTL while racing twice a week, but I can't improve it without finding another three or four hours between Wed and Friday to make up for the easy days.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:08 pm

I have no chance of winning crits[quote][/quote]
thats what i said when i had my first race too, but you gotta be in it to win it!!!
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:20 pm

twizzle wrote:Pissed. :evil:

The last six weeks of training, and deliberately skipped races, were all so that so that I would peak for an "A" event next weekend - a 40km TT. But somehow it has been screwed up and they got road approval for a 20km TT in a completely differenly location with hills. And the involved parties are claiming that they never had the 40km TT planned, when it was on the online calendar. :evil:
I hear you twiz, I spent 3 months building up to the Nationals only to be told due to a protest about insurance I wouldn't be allowed to ride...totally flat course 20kms from home. Next year will be south of Paris and probably rolling hills, no good for me even if I drop the weight right down.

I definately use racing to bring on form though, but then we don't have 30 minute crits... everything ( even the crits ) are close to 2 hours long so you can chose to use races as training events. Next year I still don't know what to do... go up a grade or stay in Cat2 and wait for the big stage races and have a go at some real glory :lol: ,but as all stage races have proper hills in them it is a pretty big risk... knowing myself I will probably go for it for club race I can :lol: . Less than 3 months till racing starts again :lol: .

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:01 pm

ni78ck wrote:I have no chance of winning crits
thats what i said when i had my first race too, but you gotta be in it to win it!!!
I stopped winning Crits back in C grade. I think I had one win in B when I picked the right moment and rode off the front. I'm just happy to finish with the bunch in A - some of the guys at the pointy end are at the national/international masters level.

Sent from my iThingy...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Looks like a plan is forming... Ribble winter bike is leaving France for good :lol: . Haven't built it up yet for winter this year so the liklyhood now is I won't as the CX bike is getting a good workout. So I think I have some old octolink cranks / bb lying around, will chuck them on and rebuild it to take to NZ minus wheels. Borrow my brother in laws wheels while I am there and then just leave the bike there for the next time I go... will be nice to save the hassle of taking a bike next time!... will also be nice to get some early morning summer rides in!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:26 am

2.5 hours outside today :D , no freezing appendages either... snow is so much nicer to ride in than rain... it just blows off at speed :D .
The biggest challenge is getting dressed and out the door!.
Just doing endurance type k's... with all the clothing you have to wear really hammering it isn't much fun!... so no descent KOM runs for a while :P .

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:56 am

I ride, therefore I am.

Another morning on the TT bike, had to do a bit of maintenance on it last night, started by changing the chain ring to a 54 (second hand from a mate), so fitted a new chain... and the cassette started skipping, so took the new-ish cassette off the race wheel and put a new cassette on that one. And while my head was down near the cranks, I realised the speedplay pedal bodies were worn so I replaced those as well. And then overslept, so had to cut my ride short, and only did 45km.

I'm not having knee issues on the TT bike any more, no idea why. I dropped the saddle height a couple of mm's at the start of the week, which is supposed to increase the load on the kneecaps, but no problems... go figure. My stretching post-ride, not that I am doing it properly, is taking me 25 minutes every day, time I don't have spare. I'm not sure where to go with that one... go to bed even earlier and get up at 5:30am? Wife & kids don't see much of me already. :|

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:14 pm

winstonw wrote:200k and 3500m on Saturday, a seriously hot day in the Gold Coast hinterland. Good training for something.
Great effort!
Perhaps on the same roads - today I rode 140k with 2500m elevation. Perfect conditions with the ave temp 23.5degrees.

I'm still hopeless with timing gels and food breaks.. 10mins before one of the harder climbs I guzzled a coffee and 500ml of choc milk.. rookie error!!

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:44 am

twizzle wrote:... go to bed even earlier and get up at 5:30am? Wife & kids don't see much of me already. :|
Wives and kids are overrated! :twisted:
5.30am! Wow I dream about sleeping in until then! I'm up at 4am most mornings, out on the road by 5am

boss

Postby boss » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Mix of being a little lazy plus some real good sessions. Last Thursday only clocked 60km due to life getting in the way of my lunchtime ride, Sunday slept through my 5am alarm and couldn't be arsed when I woke up at 6:30am.

Yesterday did 50km before work, real good session. The 16km climb section was into a stiff headwind, slow times but put a lot of effort in. Did a couple of roads I'd never ridden before... one climb was average 15% for over a kay, real tough but satisfying at the same time. But it was a one way up, one way down type climb so the descent was a scary, on the brakes the whole time as it is a suburban street and pretty narrow. Cooked the brakes, rims hot to touch at the bottom.

I know that's bad form but I'd rather blow a tyre off the rim at 20kmph (yes that slow down a 15% descent!) than get clocked by a car at 80kmph.

Safe to say, won't be heading back to that climb in a rush! Which is a pity, because I enjoyed the challenge.

Lunchtime yesterday I went out for a sprint session as my lunchtime climb road was closed for roadworks. If I had a more favourable run of traffic lights I would have netted a couple of really good Strava times, but it wasn't to be. Followed that up with a couple of sprints and then a dozen laps of a crit track that we've got in the middle of the CBD. The headwind was pretty crazy - one way doing 50kpmh+, the other way really struggling to hold 30kmph.

And just a spirited ride home last night, was feeling a bit sapped but tried to jag a couple of KOMs but got slowed by a rider in front of me on one, and the headwind did me no favors on the second. Still good fun.

Fun and games! :lol:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Ross wrote:
twizzle wrote:... go to bed even earlier and get up at 5:30am? Wife & kids don't see much of me already. :|
Wives and kids are overrated! :twisted:
5.30am! Wow I dream about sleeping in until then! I'm up at 4am most mornings, out on the road by 5am
Go on.... rub it in.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:14 pm

I am up by 5 and out by 5.30 at the latest. This morning I wanted to do a longer ride so was up at 4.30 and out before 5.

However I no longer have a commute involved in my riding. So I am up do my session jump on the bunch at 6, then back home to shower change then drive in by 8.

Makes for a long day.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:22 pm

alarm is on for a 4:25 wake up on weekdays and 5:00am on weekends..........
Cervelo R5

skull

Postby skull » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Wow such a big sleep in on the weekend.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:22 pm

did a solid 20 minute effort today with 4 others, dropped one on the first lap, dropped a second on the next and then another :shock:
two of us left on the last 8-10 minutes.
stats were average speed 42.9 km/h
heart rate average 174
distance covered 14.32 kms
max speed 54.5 km/h
i was cooked by the end of it, but felt great not being the one dropped today! :)
Cervelo R5

skull

Postby skull » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Rode up black mountain.

Improved my best time

Now have a splitting headache.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:08 pm

I remember the days of waking up silly early in Australia... couldn't do it these days!. Sacré bleu! . No one rides that early!!!.

OT... watching that Wiggo video the other day, Shane Sutton mentioned Brad was doing 430-440 w for 30 minutes in training :shock: ... he weighs in at 68-69 kgs, nearly 6.5w per kilo!!!.

Training, me...not a lot :oops: .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Remember he didn't always weigh that little. That and the fact he comes from a track endurance background. Plus good genetics. And a diet of "bread and water".

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:01 am

Yeah, but that was out of Sutton's mouth less than a month before the tour this year... he would have been very close to race weight then, bloody impressive numbers ( of course that's if they aren't exaggerating things a bit... I don't think Shane would be one to play word games though ).

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:52 am

Right up there close to the theoretical limit.

Sent from my iThingy...