Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:18 pm

I had a run up for this one as well :lol:

2012 Oppy A4

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Kona you crack me up :mrgreen:

The other day on the way home I was taking it easy, then heard the noise of somebody catching up behind me.

Worried that it might be an off-course Kona, and definitely not wanting to appear in one of your CCR victory movies, this happened:

Christina Brinkmann

Postby Christina Brinkmann » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Loved the video. :D The text cracked me up. Powned like a newbie in the wildie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:55 am

I had a challenger this morning on Victoria Rd and ANZAC Bridge. I picked him up just after Iron Cove and there was a bit of "feeling out" up to Balmain. He put in a nice attack on the downhill to ANZAC Bridge and put a bit of a gap into me. I caught up on the approach and paced him up to the start of the bridge and then had a crack. Nice tailwind + riding the good bike = victory!

I did a quick check about half way up and he was nowhere to be seen.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:10 am

Not really a CCR, but someone in a small group of 3 MTBs on the Parramatta River sharepath asked for a tow this morning. I wished them good morning and proceeded to blitz away at 40kmh. :D

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:41 pm

There are wolves in sheep's clothing waiting out there for unsuspecting CCR contenders.

Went the extra long way to work, entered PSP from Canning Bridge and slotted in behind a guy on an alloy Giant roadie, in baggies, regular shirt, skate helmet, sneakers, cages and wearing a backpack. (I was a little better, steel single speed, baggies, sneakers, cages, handlebar bag but regular helmet and jersey - need the pockets). While waiting to pass, noticed a very solid pair of legs under the baggies. He started picking up the pace and was sitting on 35kph, I was happy to follow. After a minute he slowed to 32kph. So I rolled through and sat on 35kph, after 1km he rolled past and said "problem with fixies, lack of top speed", I said "single speed, capable of sitting on 40". Which he took as a challenge and picked up the pace to 40kph. I was happy to sit in the wheel for 1km, then rolled alongside, thanked him for the tow and explained I would not ride the footbridge detour (52x16 and fear of heights over narrow footbridge do not mix). It was then, I noticed a roadie was sitting on our tail (CF bike, full lyrca, clipless etc did have small backpack), he was not enthustastic about being waved through, then I saw his face, he looked totally spent, unlike either of us. (according to his Strava he tagged on just after Canning Bridge).

Caught up with both riders at the next set of lights, scored my CCR point leaving the roadie at the lights. We could of chased down the Cervelo rider who jumped us at the lights, but it was more fun watching him glance back regularly and not gain on us.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Respect to the MTB rider that I began my commute home with last night.
Rolled up at the cnr of Adelaide and George behind a fit looking guy on an MTB. Negotiated the traffic till getting to botanic Gardens. He takes off at a fair clip doing +30km/h on the PSP. Go over Goodwill easily enough, then onto Lower River Terrace. He puts some distance on me, picking up the pace before attacking hard up the short hard climb to the Southbound Veloway adjacent the Highway. I go up there behind him and catch him up the top. Sit on his tail as the pace hits 35-40 or so along the Veloway. I freewheel a fair bit wanting to sit behind him, waiting to pick my moment. I’m thinking he’s going pretty quick for an MTB with knobbly tyres. He accelerates down to the final climb approaching O’Keefe st. This is where I usually finish my CCR opponents. Accelerated hard up the rise and had to set a new PB to get away. Ended up dropping him, but he was much stronger than me, considering I was on the roady vs the heavy MTB. Respect.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:42 pm

There I am heading towards Roe Hwy PSP when I spot a target cruising along it. Hop on to Roe Hwy PSP and CCR mode engaged. Finally spot him approaching South St, as I'm heading up and over South St I spot another cyclist starting joining. OOH another target :mrgreen:
I get down the minor drop and what do I see 3 of them GAME ON
Hammer is down I easily pass the 1st guy I had spotted, next guy who had just joined, rabbit in disguise I tell ya. Wearing normal shoes and everyday clothes he was pushing hard, I nail him on a minor uphill ok NEXT. I'm catching him and NOOO he turns off at Willeri Drv :( Evaded damnit next time! 2 CCR wins, one miss
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

skull

Postby skull » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Xplora wrote:Not really a CCR :D
If you're out riding your bike then you are by default involved in commuter cup racing.

Whether you contest others or not is irrelevant.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:01 pm

My occasional nemesis destroyed me last night :o She's on an e-bike and I can usually overtake quite comfortably and make it stick, but not last night. We had a laugh about it today, being the end of a long day she'd had it on full-bore the entire way, plus there was a headwind. So there she was, bolt-upright, shirt-tail gently flicking in the breeze, legs gently ticking over like in a freaking yoga class or something, may just as well have been dunking a milk arrowroot in a nice cuppa into the bargain, meanwhile I (for shame), was busting. a. gut. to catch her, and failing.

Ooog! Next time, gadget!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Lizzy wrote:My occasional nemesis destroyed me last night :o She's on an e-bike and I can usually overtake quite comfortably and make it stick, but not last night. We had a laugh about it today, being the end of a long day she'd had it on full-bore the entire way, plus there was a headwind. So there she was, bolt-upright, shirt-tail gently flicking in the breeze, legs gently ticking over like in a freaking yoga class or something, may just as well have been dunking a milk arrowroot in a nice cuppa into the bargain, meanwhile I (for shame), was busting. a. gut. to catch her, and failing.

Ooog! Next time, gadget!
love the description

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:10 am

a bit of a giggle yesterday along Lilyfield Rd with a couple of guys from a local cycling club. I have seen these guys around a bit & they are waaaay quicker than me, which is a bit like saying someone is smarter than an Alan Jones listener. Any hows they were obviously having a "recovery ride" as they were even slower than me. I proudly wear the title old & fat & slow so they were clearly ripe for the picking. Like Kona I will take any scalp I can get, so launched a sneak attack over a short hill & pedalled off furiously.

Naturally the lads realised they had just been gravely insulted & immediately picked up the pace. They graciously left me in the wind for about 500 m before cruising past me, never to be seen again.

Like most breakaways, my loss was inevitable, but it was fun whilst it lasted.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 pm

8)

2012 Oppy A4

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Got beaten today - first time I have not even been able to hold a wheel.

We were on beach road heading out of the city towards aspendale taking about 3 minute pulls that were getting faster and faster into the head wind.

I took my turn and was starting to fade and he took me and I just could not hold on.

He was a beast doing 44 up the little rises along beach road into a headwind.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 pm

As a teaser I have an upcoming CCR video that plunges new lows :oops:
2012 Oppy A4

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Lizzy wrote:My occasional nemesis destroyed me last night :o She's on an e-bike and I can usually overtake quite comfortably and make it stick, but not last night. We had a laugh about it today, being the end of a long day she'd had it on full-bore the entire way, plus there was a headwind. So there she was, bolt-upright, shirt-tail gently flicking in the breeze, legs gently ticking over like in a freaking yoga class or something, may just as well have been dunking a milk arrowroot in a nice cuppa into the bargain, meanwhile I (for shame), was busting. a. gut. to catch her, and failing.

Ooog! Next time, gadget!
oh yeah, I feel your pain.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... ic#p409488

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:04 pm

ft_critical wrote:oh yeah, I feel your pain.

Yeah, that's a bad one alright. My middle-aged male ego would have serious problems with that for some time. If I keep riding for the next 20 years it has to happen eventually I suppose. Just hope it doesn't happen any time soon.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 am

A guy tried to race me and I was way out of his league ie I was a lot faster, but rather than just burn him off, I half wheeled him so to give him the impression he could beat me. We headed towards a stop sign and I was a bit worried as to what he would do, so I suggested we slow down. We chatted for a while, he was pleased with his effort and went on our ways.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 am

Traffic lights hate me :( Was reeling in a 150m gap on Footscray Rd last night, got within 30m when the lights changed while he was halfway across, never saw him again. :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:25 am

Nobody wrote:
ft_critical wrote:oh yeah, I feel your pain.

Yeah, that's a bad one alright. My middle-aged male ego would have serious problems with that for some time. If I keep riding for the next 20 years it has to happen eventually I suppose. Just hope it doesn't happen any time soon.
My wife manages to destroy quite a few middle aged male egoes....it's not just that she can roll them on the commute, but that she can do it with panniers and a CX bike while wearing her little black cycling dress and DZR shoes - the ones that look like casual shoes but have concealed SPD cleats. :D
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:34 pm

mikesbytes wrote: he was pleased with his effort and went on our ways.
Crush The Weak And Timid.

You've brought shame upon us all! :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:39 pm

2012 Oppy A4

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:14 pm

KonaCommuter wrote: Scalp 14
Just when we thought it couldn't get any better "cause that's how we roll in my neighbourhood" :lol: :lol:

sb944

Postby sb944 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
That guy deserved to be knocked down a notch or two, obviously just a segment whore on strava

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:03 am

KonaCommuter wrote:
Oh yeah. Thats what I'm talkin about!