30.9 Alloy seat post and chunky stem - recommendations

Fixie82

30.9 Alloy seat post and chunky stem - recommendations

Postby Fixie82 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:32 am

Have recently got myself a new bike to race crits with and am looking to change a couple of parts that are on it. The seatpost is a very cheap and very heavy alloy model, while this is all functional it lucky I need a post with some set back so I can use that as an excuse to upgrade it. As there is a very real risk of crashing I would like to keep it alloy for piece of mind, but if price and availability dictate than carbon would be fine. So it needs to be 30.9, set back and black. Don't want to spend a fortune and happy to go second hand. Haven't really been inspired by what I've seen, so does anyone know of any super light alloy posts, funky designs, excellent quality etc they can recommend I look at?

Also need a longer stem, which is a shame as I love the one on there. For aesthetic reasons would like a chunky/aggressive looking stem, similar to the Cavendish Star Series or even the Pro Vibe (hopefully without the cost) so looking at other options. Again anyone know of any in a similar look that I should check out? Needs to be 1 1/8 and 110 long.

Thanks
Last edited by Fixie82 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody

Re: 30.9 Alloy seat post and chunk stem - recommendations

Postby Nobody » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 pm

30.9 is a Giant size from memory. I'd get a 27.2 and a shim to suit 30.9 as the post is then able to be portable between bikes. I've found 2 bolt designs to work the best for me.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Thomson make a 30.9 - its not a common size.

If you want to go cheap, buy a shim and use a 27.2 post which will be readily available for a low cost.

If you want to be really cheap you can make a shim using a soft drink tin.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Fixie82

Postby Fixie82 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Excellent suggestion, it hadn't really crossed my mind to shim a 27.2 post but that will work perfectly. Certainly opens up a lot more options.

Now just need to get onto a stem........