potential new bike - Ghost Race Lector - what do you think?

jules21

potential new bike - Ghost Race Lector - what do you think?

Postby jules21 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:26 pm

as i'm getting more into racing, i'm thinking of finally upgrading the roadie to this: Ghost Race Lector Team

SRAM Force and Vision Trimax Pro wheelset (1600g) seems reasonable value for what i suspect would come out to a total delivered of ~$3.5k. i know i can get better value buying locally with Giant etc., but this seems a bit different - i already own an Anthem. does it seem reasonable value or am i on the wrong track?

any opinions most welcome.

rkelsen

Re: potential new bike - Ghost Race Lector - what do you thi

Postby rkelsen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Carbon frames are all pretty much made in one of three Chaiwanese factories now, with the exception of a couple of higher end models.

This one also has branding which you don't see every day, comes with a mix of Ultegra and 105 parts and is 2/3rds the price:

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102174362

If you shop around, you might even find a runout Pinarello or Wilier or similar with a decent gruppo for $3.5k. Especially at this time of year.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:29 pm

thanks - i will definitely keep looking. i like Cubes, but they are claiming 8.2kg for that model, while Ghost claim 6.8kg for the one i mentioned. the Cube has Aksium rims, which are significantly cheaper than the Trimax's on the Ghost.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm

jules21 wrote:thanks - i will definitely keep looking. i like Cubes, but they are claiming 8.2kg for that model, while Ghost claim 6.8kg for the one i mentioned. the Cube has Aksium rims, which are significantly cheaper than the Trimax's on the Ghost.
I'd be wary of Ghost's claim, as it can vary with size.

The Azzurri Mezzo 90 I recently rode was 6.9kg in a 57cm, and that was with full SRAM Red and Kysrium Elite wheels, both of which are a bit lighter than what is claimed with the Ghost.

I'd get them to verify what the weight IS for the size you are getting.

Mind you, if it is that light, there is plenty of scope to get it lighter.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Ghost have a good reputation and are generally on paar with other German brands, Cube, Checker Pig, Stevens. Obviously made overseas though the point is, they are well established and reliable.
Cycling is in my BNA