Gotta love the forthcoming Brooks multi-tool

Especially this marvel of ingenuity for a chain tool

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

familyguy

Re: One for the Brooks afficionados

Postby familyguy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Looks like 1 tool to rule them all!

Wonder how wide it is? Thats the only thing that turns me off buying some of these, they're really very wide and don't fit in my saddle bags. If the chain tool insert is 53.45mm long, that would make it about 100mm long? Pretty big.

Jim

kb

Postby kb » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:31 pm

I like all the spoke nipple sizes. After 6 months of riding a bike with RS10 wheels I realised I don't have a spoke wrench that fits (3.96mm).

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:47 pm

It certainly has the range - seven allen key sizes, two torx drivers, two Phillips drivers and two flat drivers, plus the chain tool with four spoke slots, a Brooks saddle spanner, a bottle opener and a knife blade.

However they're wrong on this item:
and finally, one knife with locking blade. Surely the only multi tool to feature such an endlessly useful item.
The Topeak Alien has had a locking knife-blade for many years. Also the Leatherman (while not strictly a bike multi-tool) has always had one.
Mandatory helmet law?

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 pm

il padrone wrote:It certainly has the range - seven allen key sizes, two torx drivers, two Phillips drivers and two flat drivers, plus the chain tool with four spoke slots, a Brooks saddle spanner, a bottle opener and a knife blade.

However they're wrong on this item:
and finally, one knife with locking blade. Surely the only multi tool to feature such an endlessly useful item.
The Topeak Alien has had a locking knife-blade for many years. Also the Leatherman (while not strictly a bike multi-tool) has always had one.
The aptly named Topeak McGuyver had two different sized knife blades (and scissors, fish scaler, saw, wire cutters ....).

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:52 am

And the Lezyne RAP multitools have an LED light, one tool has a disc brake wedge. Pretty much like the Brooks tool bar the saddle adjust. How often are you going to use that saddle tool to make it needed to be carried around in your saddlebag everywhere? I guess the hope is that Brooks includes this multitool with the higher end saddles in place of the old saddle tool.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 am

The Brooks spanner is something that doesn't get used too often - it should not be. However the spanner for most of the Brooks range is a special profile, normal spanners will not easily fit to do the adjustment. However all saddles come with the required tool as standard, and the top end saddles are now adjusted with an 8mm allen key.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:27 pm

So far all we've seen are mingey little things.

Let's put the 'multi' in multi-tool!

My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;