Video Camera who uses one?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 pm

This is a GoPro Hero2 and Sony Action Cam direct comparison on a Mountain Bike for Bicycles Network Australia. We were unable to get hold of a GoPro Hero3.

This is a short video with a few different short sequences and different split screens for comparison (screen in screen / top & bottom / side by side)
I won't create a longer video unless there is a specific interest. As always, youtube degrades the quality

Link: Sony Action Cam verses GoPro Hero2

What do we notice, the GoPro Hero2 has more colour whereas the Sony Action Cam has sharper details and with the steady shot function does a wonderful job of eliminating a lot of shakes - it actually stabilises the video quite well. For the GoPro we used a K-Edge GO BIG Pro mount and for the Sony Action Cam we used the Sony handlebar mount specificially for this camera which worked quite well. The Hero2 tends to soften details where as the Sony has super sharp contrasts - both dealt with changing light quite well and filming at 1920x1080 as you would expect, for smooth moving footage they both deliver great quality, likewise with faster moving bumpy terrain they both have the same challenges capturing fast moving footage.

The GoPro was quieter but there were still some rattles while the Sony has a more noticeable rattle - for either camera this is solved by padding out the waterproof casing to eliminate movement.

#Action Cam
#WLO

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:56 am

I am looking for a cam for Christmas (to suggest as a gift for me) GoPro seem to be the standard for off rd adventures, like I would like to capture. I want something that will handle the dark/light transition well and be mud/dirt/water proof/resistant. Possibly also use as a commuter cam, but for the very short distance I actually ride on the road is hardly worth it. I am thinking that chest mount will be the most common position so that would seem to rule out contour style cams.

Overall I think I prefer the footage from the GoPro over the Sony above.

Any other suggestions?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:28 am

The view from underneath the bottom bracket.

http://norbs.tk/bn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:16 pm

gretaboy wrote:I recently got a GoPro Hero 2 and overall I am happy but it seems the battery life isnt the best. Am lucky to get an hour and a half out of the battery. Have tried different settings for video and am using class 10 32 Gig SD card.

I was thinking I would get at least 2 hours out of the battery...at least. Anyone else had this issue?
You should be getting 2.5 hrs out of the battery.

Are you sure it is the battery that dies and not the memory card?

Sometimes mystery data can be taking up space on the SD cards while still registering 0 files, so please check under properties (PC) or disk utilities (mac) to see how much memory is available. If there is not enough available memory, you will need to reformat the card in order to free up the space.

If you are using a Mac to download and delete files, make sure you delete the files from the memory card AND the trash can before you disconnect the camera from the computer. If you do not do a complete delete, then the card will show ‘0' files but the space will not actually be cleared. Again, you will need to reformat the card if it was not fully cleared.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 pm

GraemeL wrote:
gretaboy wrote:I recently got a GoPro Hero 2 and overall I am happy but it seems the battery life isnt the best. Am lucky to get an hour and a half out of the battery. Have tried different settings for video and am using class 10 32 Gig SD card.

I was thinking I would get at least 2 hours out of the battery...at least. Anyone else had this issue?

Sometimes mystery data can be taking up space on the SD cards while still registering 0 files, so please check under properties (PC) or disk utilities (mac) to see how much memory is available. If there is not enough available memory, you will need to reformat the card in order to free up the space.

If you are using a Mac to download and delete files, make sure you delete the files from the memory card AND the trash can before you disconnect the camera from the computer. If you do not do a complete delete, then the card will show ‘0' files but the space will not actually be cleared. Again, you will need to reformat the card if it was not fully cleared.

Graeme
Not the card...went and got a class 10 32Gig SD card on the weekend and have formatted it too so have got plenty of storage.. have reverted back to 720-30 to try and extend the battery life. Wanted to use 1080-30 but battery died after or just before an hour and a half.

Bit disappointed on this fact.

Also found that on hot days with waterproof housing, the insides fog up which then causes video output to be crap. When this happens you can barely see number plates, sort of defeats the purpose of having the camera. I have switched the "door" to be the "ventilated" door and this seems to have fixed the issue, but havent hit a really hot day yet since swapping either. I ride in all sorts of weather so would prefer to have water proof housing on at all times to try and prevent the need to stop and swap the "doors" to ensure the camera doesnt get wet. At the moment I carry the full waterproof "door" with me just in case.

##EDIT: I copy the files over to my PC and then delete from SD card...always :) to ensure I have always got enough space

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:44 pm

norbs wrote:The view from underneath the bottom bracket.

pretty good.

may be better on a MTB trail or a winding road descent...

SpinninWheels

Postby SpinninWheels » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:01 pm

gretaboy wrote:
GraemeL wrote:

Graeme
Not the card...went and got a class 10 32Gig SD card on the weekend and have formatted it too so have got plenty of storage.. have reverted back to 720-30 to try and extend the battery life. Wanted to use 1080-30 but battery died after or just before an hour and a half.

Also found that on hot days with waterproof housing, the insides fog up which then causes video output to be crap. When this happens you can barely see number plates, sort of defeats the purpose of having the camera. I have switched the "door" to be the "ventilated" door and this seems to have fixed the issue, but havent hit a really hot day yet since swapping either. I ride in all sorts of weather so would prefer to have water proof housing on at all times to try and prevent the need to stop and swap the "doors" to ensure the camera doesnt get wet. At the moment I carry the full waterproof "door" with me just in case.

##EDIT: I copy the files over to my PC and then delete from SD card...always :) to ensure I have always got enough space

On my underwater camera I use a small silica gel pack to absorb moisture. Will one fit in the GoPro housing? Also try to load the camera in the case at the same ambient temp as it wil be used in.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:12 pm

gretaboy wrote:

The full waterproof housing is not required unless you submerge the camera into water (like snorkelling or scuba diving). I regularly use the "ventilated" door on my GoPro, in the rain, without a problem. It certainly does help with the fogging problem. I used to keep my GoPro resolution to R5 (1080). I regularly post videos to YouTube. After using it for about three years, I have found using R2 (720) to be fine. I yell out the number plate, during the incidentor after it regardless which resolution I use to make sure I have an audio capture of it as well as a video capture. Even with R5 res, there were many times and situations where I didn't catch the license plate number. R5 also takes up about twice as much space so an hour ride could easily be 7GB on R5. The police were more than happy with the my voice caught on film reading out the license plate number and the video footage of the car. R2 caught the license plate number but they really didn't require a visual of it, in my circumstance.

Regardless, I also have four batteries for my GoPro. I have the extended housing door which allows me to plug in two batteries. I regularly rotate my batteries to keep them in good condition and when I'm riding in an event, I grab the double battery housing with two batteries connected and I can get 6 hours out of it. I simply take two spare charged batteries if it is a two day event.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:25 pm

gretaboy wrote: Not the card...went and got a class 10 32Gig SD card on the weekend and have formatted it too so have got plenty of storage.. have reverted back to 720-30 to try and extend the battery life. Wanted to use 1080-30 but battery died after or just before an hour and a half.

You can get inserts that will fix the fog issue, GoPro has developed it’s own Anti-Fog Inserts for the HD HERO camera. The kit includes 3 sets of desiccant inserts, and retails at $14.99. Each set lasts 4-5 uses and can be dried in an oven (3 minutes) to be reused.

You could also try a couple of DIY options first,

1. 1min blast of dry air-conditioned air either from a car vent or building aircon will fix the issue with a waterproof housing.
Hold the open case in front of the vent and the camera (separately) for 1 min, let the air circulate inside the SD slot and battery compartment (open slightly), then assemble and close while still in front of the vent (6'' away). Don't open until filming job is finished and keep in cool place out of the sun till ready to start filming. You could also place some kitchen tissue paper towel squares in the space between the camera and the housing at the side and bottom.

2. Use saliva on the inside of the case (think snorkelling) and then wipe it.

3. Buy some RainX and spray the inside of the case then wipe.

4. You could also try and find some of those small desiccant inserts that you find in things you buy, put them in the oven on low for a few minutes to reactivate them and then fit them into the gaps inside the housing.

As far as the battery goes, how do you charge it, connected to your PC or a wall powered charger?

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:33 pm

I forgot to mention that I only use the ventilated back, I have also drilled small vent holes in the case. When I use it on the bike, I carry a roll of electrical tape with me, in case of a down pour I can just cover the holes with the tape. You could also just use a small plastic bag and elastic band if you wanted.

Graeme

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 pm

GraemeL wrote: As far as the battery goes, how do you charge it, connected to your PC or a wall powered charger?

Graeme
At home I recharge via the PC overnight...at work I have a wall mount...so doing both methods....didnt think it would matter really

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:00 pm

gretaboy wrote:
At home I recharge via the PC overnight...at work I have a wall mount...so doing both methods....didnt think it would matter really
So charging it via PC and Wall, it lasts the same amount of time? Or haven't you tested it?

The reason I ask is because the USB cable may be faulty or the charger may not be charging properly, It could very well be an issue with the battery itself and therefore you will need to buy a new one, but at least by trying different things you are ruling out other possible causes. You may also want to give the metal pins on the battery and where they connect in the camera, a rub with an ordinary rubber, this will clean the contacts.

I have always had two batteries, this allows me to rotate the batteries and also have a spare in case it is needed.

Graeme

jheeno

Postby jheeno » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:52 pm

how did you do that ?

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm

jheeno wrote:

how did you do that ?

I have had so many questions about how I did it I will be putting a blog post together showing exactly how easy it is. :)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Did you screw or cabletie?
Cycling is in my BNA

Byke

Postby Byke » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 am

This angle really brings home how much we constantly make small steering adjustments as we ride. The front wheel is never pointing straight ahead for very long.

boss

Postby boss » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:31 am

Does anyone have helmet mounting suggestions for the jumbo 808? Thought i'd ask here before starting it's own thread.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:44 am

jimboss wrote:Does anyone have helmet mounting suggestions for the jumbo 808? Thought i'd ask here before starting it's own thread.
Sticky tape sided velcro tape.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 am

Am using the avidemux 2.6 editing program....can anyone help out in pointing out how to slow down video and record it in slow mo. Have tried playing with the "configure" option under Video output but with no luck so far

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 am

Try YouTube, think I found exactly what your looking for a week or so ago.

boss

Postby boss » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:07 am

Crawf wrote:
jimboss wrote:Does anyone have helmet mounting suggestions for the jumbo 808? Thought i'd ask here before starting it's own thread.
And that's tough enough to hold it on yeah? Sweet.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:21 am

jimboss wrote:
Crawf wrote:
And that's tough enough to hold it on yeah? Sweet.
I use 3M Dual Lock, which is NOT Velcro. It is a much stronger connection. You can get it easily enough on eBay.

Andrew
Andrew

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 am

Will also depend on the helmet shape, mine (Specialized) is mostly flat on top, something like a Giro has a somewhat rounded structure so harder to stick too. 3M stuff is quality.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:48 pm

I agree with the 3M Dual Lock, it is very good, unlike normal Velcro, Dual Lock will hold it nice and tight with minimal movement. If you are wanting to mount the Jumbo to the bike, check out the Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts in my sig for some ideas.

Graeme

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:53 am

Excited!! My Gopro Hero3 Black is with the driver for delivery today. Thanks to Highly Tuned Athletes :mrgreen: . Can't wait to play with it.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS