Storage tips?

Crowz

Storage tips?

Postby Crowz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone had any neat storage tips or knows of some kind of magical product. Moving from a house to an apartment and I'm looking for some awesome contraption that will help me store my bike in very little space... Bit of a longshot but worth a post.

Byke

Re: Storage tips?

Postby Byke » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:52 am

Crowz wrote:Moving from a house to an apartment and I'm looking for some awesome contraption that will help me store my bike in very little space...
By store do you mean 'pack away into the smallest space possible until I need it after my broken leg heals' or 'stop me tripping over it, but so I can still use it on a daily basis"?

If it's the latter then you're not really going to want to make your bike any smaller (by removing wheels, etc). But you might be able to put it somewhere that is less obtrusive. Perhaps a ceiling-mounted hoist. Or a simple storage hook or wall mount .

msg

Postby msg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:14 pm

I live in a very small house, once you get used to it just leaving your bike in the hallway by the front door works for me. Used to take it down to the shed when I got home from a ride, that was when I was only riding two or three times a week. Now that I ride preety much every day It just lives by the front door under the coat rack. The wife doesn't even complain any more. :D

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:22 pm

I really like the look of this type of thing . Also gives you somewhere to put you're bike related objects.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Byke, it's a 'stop me tripping over it' scenario. I don't ride every day... Usually only once or twice a week but it would be nice to have it around but not in the way. Kind of wishful thinking I guess...

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:45 pm

My bike currently hangs upside down by the wheels from a couple of large plastic covered hooks fixed into the ceiling.

Well actually the hooks are fixed to a timber board that is screwed to the ceiling as the ceiling batons did not line up exactly with the wheels to get the hooks into the right spot.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:06 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:My bike currently hangs upside down by the wheels from a couple of large plastic covered hooks fixed into the ceiling.

Well actually the hooks are fixed to a timber board that is screwed to the ceiling as the ceiling batons did not line up exactly with the wheels to get the hooks into the right spot.
How high are your ceilings? Not sure I would be able to fit that. In any case, can you post a picture of a bike hanging from it? :D

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Because at the time I only had a couple of strips of thick plywood available the hooks are actually fitted into a slot between the boards, which allows them to move sideways and fit different size bikes.
The hooks are covered with a couple of bits of inner tube to minimise any damage to the wheels, and were purchased at Bunnings.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:53 pm

I bought this pulley system from Torpedo7 for about $17.

Edit - replaced bloody huge pic with a smaller one.
Last edited by lump_a_charcoal on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:31 pm

Damn that's a huge photo :shock:

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Damn that's a huge photo :shock:

Oops! :oops:

Fikst it.

geekgirl

Postby geekgirl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:14 pm

I' m looking for ideas too for the similar reasons. Howards Storage use to carry a range of hooks and stands etc. their website shows a few. As my bikes will have to be stored in the lounge the ceiling is not an option for me. I have one behind the front door at the moment but it's not ideal when carrying stuff in. I use the linen closet to store my helmet etc although a nice shelf unit like the photo would be better.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:33 pm

I require a product that looks aesthetically pleasing or arty to please the boss as my bike has no other choice but to live indoors., havent found anything yet but a quick search came up with this which i thought was nifty.